Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2010 10:30:05 AM EDT
I want a multitool I can carry onto a plane.  Does anyone make one either without a blade or one that could be taken off?

I have heard you can't just snap the blade off and think they will let you through.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#1]
You'll have to check , but I doubt they'll let you through even if it doesn't have a blade.  I always put stuff like that in my checked baggage.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#3]
They said that any tool could have the potential for being used as  a weapon......you can ask for yourself.....but I had to check my tool kit last time I flew.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They said that any tool could have the potential for being used as  a weapon....

damn... i can't fly with my brain unless it's in checked baggage.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You'll have to check , but I doubt they'll let you through even if it doesn't have a blade.  I always put stuff like that in my checked baggage.

TSA will take a multi-tool away and some lucky TSA person will take it home laughing. Ask me how I know.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Some SOG multi-tools are user-configurable, and thus the knife blade can be exchanged for another impliment.

I have my doubts that a knifeless multi-tool would pass screening when fingernail clippers are problematic.

SOG Powerlock IIRC.

I agree though, that screwdriver looks pretty deadly... I doubt it will fly...
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They said that any tool could have the potential for being used as  a weapon......you can ask for yourself.....but I had to check my tool kit last time I flew.

Actually what they say is no tools over 7", no knives or sharp objects (except scissors in some cases), and no hammers, drills, drill bits or crowbars.  The latter took me for a loop.  I hopped on a plane in AK with about $50  in brand new drill bits 4" long (10 bits) needed at the far end, only to have them seized by TSA.

Screw drivers can be disassembled (such as the klein 6 in one or 1 in one screwdriver)
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I have heard you can't just snap the blade off and think they will let you through.

Incorrect. WE are not allowed to snap the blade off. If you do it yourself and point out that it lacks all types of blades when they pull it out of the bag, then it should be OK.

You'll have to check , but I doubt they'll let you through even if it doesn't have a blade

Incorrect. Blades and tools over 7" in length are prohibited, as well as scissors with blades in excess of 4". As long as your multitool meets those requirements it is OK to fly.

They said that any tool could have the potential for being used as a weapon......

Incorrect... see above. No blade, and under 7" and it's GTG. No power tools, though.

I have my doubts that a knifeless multi-tool would pass screening when fingernail clippers are problematic.

*Sigh*... Fingernail clippers have not been "problematic" for over half a decade. They are not prohibited unless they have a blade on them.

TSA will take a multi-tool away and some lucky TSA person will take it home laughing. Ask me how I know.

Bullshit. No one wants to lose their job over your multitool. There are *always* cameras (and other people) watching at a checkpoint. Your multitool is not worth a steady govt job with great benefits. If they take it they will drop it in a one-way box that the screeners cannot pull anything out of, where every few days the contents of which will be collected and I believe eventually destroyed. I know, I've been doing it for about 5 years when not deployed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I've read stories about them confiscating p38s off people's keychains.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've read stories about them confiscating p38s off people's keychains.

That actually wouldn't surprise me. I wouldn't take it because I know what it is, but some of the people I work with might just see a blade and chuck it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I covered my P-38 with some tape because it kept sticking me while in my pocket.  When flying the keys go in the backpack full of stuff.  It would be a miracle if they found it.  I flew twice a week for a month with a knife in my backpack, I didn't know it was there.  Screening didn't detect it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually what they say is no tools over 7", no knives or sharp objects (except scissors in some cases), and no hammers, drills, drill bits or crowbars.  The latter took me for a loop.  I hopped on a plane in AK with about $50  in brand new drill bits 4" long (10 bits) needed at the far end, only to have them seized by TSA.

Screw drivers can be disassembled (such as the klein 6 in one or 1 in one screwdriver)

I'll be sure to tell them that....
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Incorrect. WE are not allowed to snap the blade off. If you do it yourself and point out that it lacks all types of blades when they pull it out of the bag, then it should be OK.

You'll have to check , but I doubt they'll let you through even if it doesn't have a blade

Incorrect. Blades and tools over 7" in length are prohibited, as well as scissors with blades in excess of 4". As long as your multitool meets those requirements it is OK to fly.

They said that any tool could have the potential for being used as a weapon......

Incorrect... see above. No blade, and under 7" and it's GTG. No power tools, though.

*Sigh*... Fingernail clippers have not been "problematic" for over half a decade. They are not prohibited unless they have a blade on them.

Bullshit. No one wants to lose their job over your multitool. There are *always* cameras (and other people) watching at a checkpoint. Your multitool is not worth a steady govt job with great benefits. If they take it they will drop it in a one-way box that the screeners cannot pull anything out of, where every few days the contents of which will be collected and I believe eventually destroyed. I know, I've been doing it for about 5 years when not deployed.

TSA is a joke!! Really. I have gotten more $hit from them then anyone!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#15]
TSA is a joke!! Really. I have gotten more $hit from them then anyone!

Whatever. I'm telling you what you can and cannot take on the plane. I work there, I know what I'm talking about. Take the free advice or ignore it, it's your choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top