Link Posted: 12/31/2008 6:30:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I am.
Link Posted: 12/31/2008 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Where ya going?
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#3]
South Africa. Currently living/working in the Congo, so not as expensive as making the schlep from the US.

I'm also hoping to take advantage of a friendship a buddy has with a local game warden to be able to do some hunting in the Congo. We've found that there is a herd of elephants within 100Km of us, and they periodicially have culling hunts.
Link Posted: 1/7/2009 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MP5_guy:
South Africa. Currently living/working in the Congo, so not as expensive as making the schlep from the US.

I'm also hoping to take advantage of a friendship a buddy has with a local game warden to be able to do some hunting in the Congo. We've found that there is a herd of elephants within 100Km of us, and they periodicially have culling hunts.

An elephant cull hunt on a buddy deal would be a great way to hunt an elephant.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 8:18:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Wish I could again this year to get what I didn't get last year.  Kicking myself now for not going after a Dik-Dik, Wildebeest, and Hartebeest.  What really concerns me is that I'm afraid within the next 2 years we'll see laws enacted by our new administration that will make it illegal to bring back any more trophies into the US.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#6]
my family and i are scheduled for one in june.my uncle has a house in south africa and were going over there for a few weeks. he hooked us up with his safari guide so we got a nice deal too. just trying to decide what to shoot!
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Jeff525:
my family and i are scheduled for one in june.my uncle has a house in south africa and were going over there for a few weeks. he hooked us up with his safari guide so we got a nice deal too. just trying to decide what to shoot!

Choices, Choices, and more Choices.
Link Posted: 5/18/2009 8:07:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Just booked for July, Limpopo Provence S.A.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 4:47:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JohnCrighton:
Wish I could again this year to get what I didn't get last year.  Kicking myself now for not going after a Dik-Dik, Wildebeest, and Hartebeest.  What really concerns me is that I'm afraid within the next 2 years we'll see laws enacted by our new administration that will make it illegal to bring back any more trophies into the US.

I wouldn't worry about it. The President probably has cousins that make there living off of hunting. Even in Kenya, with all the implications that come with that...
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 1:17:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

I wouldn't worry about it. The President probably has cousins that make there living off of hunting. Even in Kenya, with all the implications that come with that...

The wife caught me looking at my videos and pics from last year and saw "that look" on my face - she told me I should go again next year.  Damn I'm a lucky man.  I just wish I could get her to go with me - she has no issues with hunting (she'd do it herself) and would love the country - but she just HATES flying :(
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#11]

The wife caught me looking at my videos and pics from last year and saw "that look" on my face - she told me I should go again next year.  Damn I'm a lucky man.  I just wish I could get her to go with me - she has no issues with hunting (she'd do it herself) and would love the country - but she just HATES flying :(

The flight over is no fun, but Delta now has a non stop from Atlanta to Joburg on the Boeing 777. Flying on an Airbus is pretty pathetic.

Link Posted: 6/1/2009 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Headless_T_Gunner:

The flight over is no fun, but Delta now has a non stop from Atlanta to Joburg on the Boeing 777. Flying on an Airbus is pretty pathetic.

Yeah, but flying into JoBerg with a gun is a pain in the ass, and then having to stay overnight and hop another flight to Windhoek - you end up getting there about the same time as you would if you had just done the Frankfurt layover and flight down straight to Windhoek.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#13]
The stupid thing is that the plane flys right over Namibia and lands in Johannesburg. Then you have to fly back to Namibia. It should land in Namibia and let the Namibian hunters off.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 2:00:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Headless_T_Gunner:
The stupid thing is that the plane flys right over Namibia and lands in Johannesburg. Then you have to fly back to Namibia. It should land in Namibia and let the Namibian hunters off.

How many people on a flight from the East Coast to Africa are hunters? A notable percentage I presume?
Link Posted: 7/15/2009 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Just thought I'd share a couple since I just got back a few days ago (and go back on Monday).... My job has me spending a lot of time in Africa, and this time on the way home I stopped to have a few days of fun while on the way out and went hunting with a few people I work with. We were just outside Kimberley, South Africa (Nothern Cape). Here's a couple oif the animals I shot:

Big kudu bull:

Red hartebeest:

I also got a springbok and a gemsbok. The shot on the hartebeest was about 150 meters, and turned out to be a lucky one. I didn't see some brush that the hartebeest was stranding next to, and the bullet hit a twig and ended up veering slightly and keyholed going into the animal. The hartebeest went down like it was hit by a truck since all the energy from the .300 Win Mag was delivered to it. I recovered the bullet, and it's bent, but only a slight bit of mushrooming from the twig it hit.

Rifle was a Mauser marked "Modelo 1912, Steyr Austria", re-chambered in .300 Win Mag. A previous owner had put a flash suppressor from an FAL on it for some reason. It was my first time hunting with a .300 Win Mag, and I have a new found respect for that round.
Link Posted: 7/15/2009 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Very nice trophies and an interesting rifle. Congratulations!!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2009 2:22:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MP5_guy:
Just thought I'd share a couple since I just got back a few days ago (and go back on Monday).... My job has me spending a lot of time in Africa, and this time on the way home I stopped to have a few days of fun while on the way out and went hunting with a few people I work with. We were just outside Kimberley, South Africa (Nothern Cape). Here's a couple oif the animals I shot:

Big kudu bull:
http://www.hecklerkoch.net/kudu1.jpg

Red hartebeest:
http://www.hecklerkoch.net/redhartebeest1.jpg

I also got a springbok and a gemsbok. The shot on the hartebeest was about 150 meters, and turned out to be a lucky one. I didn't see some brush that the hartebeest was stranding next to, and the bullet hit a twig and ended up veering slightly and keyholed going into the animal. The hartebeest went down like it was hit by a truck since all the energy from the .300 Win Mag was delivered to it. I recovered the bullet, and it's bent, but only a slight bit of mushrooming from the twig it hit.

Rifle was a Mauser marked "Modelo 1912, Steyr Austria", re-chambered in .300 Win Mag. A previous owner had put a flash suppressor from an FAL on it for some reason. It was my first time hunting with a .300 Win Mag, and I have a new found respect for that round.

Very nice.

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 5:02:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks so much for posting. Great looking Kudu.
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 11:54:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: blackdogmachine] [#19]
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm going back on Feb 25, but it's to return to work in the DRC. However, looks like I may have another huning trip in my future. One of the guys I work with is looking at late July to get a bunch of us together. Plus, someone else I used to work with (he's returned to South Africa) has told me his father-in-law has a 7000 hectare farm along the Limpopo river. This is becoming more of a scheduling exercise more than anything else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top