Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/19/2008 12:59:27 PM EDT
Thought y'all might find this informative regarding MARS.

It's on Page 20.

http://www.netcom.army.mil/news/docs/NJ.pdf

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:16:27 PM EDT
Great article! This is a fine example of how Amateur Radio's very existence is to provide a sort of "minuteman" response in times of emergency.

Communications is the lifeblood of disaster response. Hams provide!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:31:10 PM EDT
Back in 1959, I ran the MARS station at Hamilton AFB, north of San Francisco. I was the ONLY operator. Equipment consisted of Collins 75A3 Receiver and a Collins KW-1 1KW transmitter. All CW or AM. We did have a Central Electronics SSB Adapter unit outboarded, but never used it. That was my primary job; secondary was Radio Op at CIC there, which the Transmitter was a old Navy BC-610 and a Hammerlund SP-300 receiver. Ah, the good ole days of Boatanchors LOL. Once the CO found out that I had a "cushy" job, they closed down the MARS station, and I was sent to the main Comm Center on base for Crypto/Teletype training. Then I had to work, LOL.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:06:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By nevjohn:
Back in 1959, I ran the MARS station at Hamilton AFB, north of San Francisco. I was the ONLY operator. Equipment consisted of Collins 75A3 Receiver and a Collins KW-1 1KW transmitter. All CW or AM. We did have a Central Electronics SSB Adapter unit outboarded, but never used it. That was my primary job; secondary was Radio Op at CIC there, which the Transmitter was a old Navy BC-610 and a Hammerlund SP-300 receiver. Ah, the good ole days of Boatanchors LOL. Once the CO found out that I had a "cushy" job, they closed down the MARS station, and I was sent to the main Comm Center on base for Crypto/Teletype training. Then I had to work, LOL.

MARS would love to have you back!!
Top Top