Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2014 4:02:57 PM EDT
Hey gents!

I need recommendations on an inshore baitcasting reel. I live in FL and my reels aren't holding up so well in salt water. Slowly but surely, I'm building a repertoire for salt.  I need one for live bait (mullet, cut mullet, pinfish, etc) with about 20 -30 lb test. I looked for a Ambassaduer 5000 but I guess they don't make those anymore? I want one the same size as an Ambassaduer 5000 in regards to strength and line capacity. Its what I've used before and like but... they were the old mans and my C3 is taking a beating. I see they have 7000's but that might be a little on the large size?

Im fishing in flats etc and when the waters dead I like to throw on live/cut mullet etc and kick back for a minute. Trout, reds, if a jewfish felt like playing I wouldn't say no. Plus, the S/O can use that

I went to Dick's to pick them up and get a feel but I didn't like what they had; I want to order one online because... it's Dicks. No baitshops w/in 20 minutes of me.

Looking to spend 80-120 bucks, if that's possible, or do I need to up my price range? I don't have 300 bucks but damn... theyre so shiny.

What would y'all recommend?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:36:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Abu sx 5500 ($80) or C3 5500 ($120) should suffice. I was using the C3 for my inshore setup until someone decided they had to have it earlier this year. And Dick's isn't too bad if you go to the right one.. (part time employee here)
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Take a look at FFO-Tackle.com for cheap Abu gear.  It's the mfr outlet website.  I've bought a bunch of stuff from there w/o any hassle.  They run 20% off promos several times a year.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Curado
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a couple of the Abu 5600 C4 reels that I use in saltwater. I have had to replace a few parts but still running strong. Just make sure you wash them down after use, and reoil and relube when needed. You might want to upgrade the size to the 6600 series just for more capacity, as you will get bigger fish in Florida than I typically encounter here in SC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top