Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2014 1:39:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/18/2014 1:39:30 AM EST by AirRaceFan]
I will take my Tech and General license exam later this month, but in the meantime have been suffering from paralysis by analysis with regards to what exactly I want to do. Though I did want to get a HF rig in the future, my initial goal was to work the 2m repeaters and try my hand to a 2m SSB. 6m also intrigues me FWIW.

I’ve purchased a Kenwood TR-751A and have been shopping for a vertical and beam antenna. The Hustler G7 144 is on my short list for the former, with either G3 or G6 a possibility, and a M2 2M9SSB for the latter. However, more reading on 2m SSB shows that I will likely need an amp and a bigger PS to run it than the Samlex 1223 I was looking at. Those are too spendy for me at this time.

In addition, while I don’t have an HOA, a call to the county did reveal there is a covenant in my neighborhood. With regard to antennas, I can’t have anything taller than the peak of the roof, which is 21 feet, nor visible from the street. Most of the houses in the neighborhood are taller than mine, including those on either side of me. I also have trees in my yard that are taller than my house.

Considering the restrictions imposed by my AO, covenant and wallet, would I just be wasting my time with 2m SSB? Should I sell the 751 and just get a new 2m FM mobile for repeater work and a HF rig?

Any advice input appreciated.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:04:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/18/2014 3:06:10 AM EST by Dr_Dickie]
Originally Posted By AirRaceFan:
I will take my Tech and General license exam later this month, but in the meantime have been suffering from paralysis by analysis with regards to what exactly I want to do. Though I did want to get a HF rig in the future, my initial goal was to work the 2m repeaters and try my hand to a 2m SSB. 6m also intrigues me FWIW.
View Quote

I’ve purchased a Kenwood TR-751A and have been shopping for a vertical and beam antenna. The Hustler G7 144 is on my short list for the former, with either G3 or G6 a possibility, and a M2 2M9SSB for the latter. However, more reading on 2m SSB shows that I will likely need an amp and a bigger PS to run it than the Samlex 1223 I was looking at. Those are too spendy for me at this time.

In addition, while I don’t have an HOA, a call to the county did reveal there is a covenant in my neighborhood. With regard to antennas, I can’t have anything taller than the peak of the roof, which is 21 feet, nor visible from the street. Most of the houses in the neighborhood are taller than mine, including those on either side of me. I also have trees in my yard that are taller than my house.

Considering the restrictions imposed by my AO, covenant and wallet, would I just be wasting my time with 2m SSB? Should I sell the 751 and just get a new 2m FM mobile for repeater work and a HF rig?

Any advice input appreciated.

Depends (don't it always).
Are there contacts locally that you are interested in communicating with? Is there a lot of activity on the repeaters? In my AO, 2m and 70cm is dead. There has been a local repeater (owned by the beaches area ham club) which has been down for repairs for about 2 years (kinda gives you an idea of the activity on the band). So for me, I threw up and Ed Fong and hook up a HT to it every now and again, but when ever I hear someone on the band, it is two guys who know each other comparing arthritis pain and just rag chewing (while one or both are mobile).
If you want to reach out and touch the world (as well as all the states), go HF.
But since you already have the the 2m rig, get a pole for an antenna (which can then be used for the OCFD you will be putting up in a few months--keep that in mind when you put up the pole, make sure you have trees about 100' and say 60' away if you can), and see what you see.
At least that is my free opinion.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:53:28 AM EST
Thanks for the input. I really don't know at this time how much activity is on the repeaters to be honest, I was actually more interested in SSB, which is why I searched for a multi-mode 2m transceiver.

As far as the trees go, to stay in compliance by attaching my antenna to the house, and keeping it from street view, it would only be about 25-30' from one tree, and only about 10-15' from another. Cutting them down is not an option.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:07:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/18/2014 7:22:43 AM EST by SCWolverine]
I've had interest in SSB on 2m since the get go....but I don't have the capability.
Don't fret about antennas, there is a compromise avail for all (think flagpole vert, random wire, etc...!)
Now back to 2m SSB; just how stuck are you on operating on 1 single band?
Reason I ask-A low cost entry level 160-10/6 rig can be found for right near $500 almost new. It'd give you a great deal more options vs the single bander.
Do you have a Scanner? Have you listened to local traffic on the repeaters? Is there a club nearby?
A Samlex should work for most everything, except powering a rig and amp together.

ETA: do you have a chimney? Do you or your neighbors have TV antennas mounted to their houses?

I'd add a Dual Band J-pole (Arrow/Fong) to the highest point on my house (Eave, Chimney, etc...) (These antennas almost disappear once installed and the Arrow kinda looks like a TV antenna) Depending on the Yard size and layout, I'd add a Wire Antenna to the Highest Anchor Point Avail on the house and run the antenna wire up and into the trees, or go with a vertical in the back yard with the flag pole as my last resort

YMMV

Pics if you are comfortable

eta2: why don't you have a Baofeng sorry couldn't resist-
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:15:30 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SCWolverine:
I've had interest in SSB on 2m since the get go....but I don't have the capability.
Don't fret about antennas, there is a compromise avail for all (think flagpole vert, random wire, etc...!)
Now back to 2m SSB; just how stuck are you on operating on 1 single band?
Reason I ask-A low cost entry level 160-10/6 rig can be found for right near $500 almost new. It'd give you a great deal more options vs the single bander.
Do you have a Scanner? Have you listened to local traffic on the repeaters? Is there a club nearby?
Your Samlex should work for most everything, except powering a rig and amp together.
View Quote
I'm not stuck on it, I am also interested in working Sats and maybe EME someday too.

For the right price, I wouldn't mind picking up an entry level/older HF rig for the right price as I know I do want to do HF too. Don't know why exactly I got the 2m ssb burr, other than I like challenges and maybe because it's not something everyone else is doing. However, if it's likely to be unworkable in my current location, it may have to go on the back burner for awhile.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:19:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/18/2014 7:20:26 AM EST by AirRaceFan]

ETA: do you have a chimney? Do you or your neighbors have TV antennas mounted to their houses?

I'd add a Dual Band J-pole (Arrow/Fong) to the highest point on my house (Eave, Chimney, etc...) (These antennas almost disappear once installed and the Arrow kinda looks like a TV antenna) Depending on the Yard size and layout, I'd add a Wire Antenna to the Highest Anchor Point Avail on the house and run the antenna wire up and into the trees, or go with a vertical in the back yard with the flag pole as my last resort

YMMV

Pics if you are comfortable
View Quote
I do have a chimney, but if my ant peeks over the roof line, then technically I'm in violation. Only antennas in my neighborhood are Dish/DTV. Sat dishes are listed as being no-no's, but due the the age of the neighborhood, I believe the covenant was meant to apply to the early SETI dishes.

ETA:I'll see if I can screencap a Google Earth shot.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:27:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/18/2014 7:34:01 AM EST by SCWolverine]
I'm not one to advocate violating rules/laws.....but do you know specifically that your antenna cannot be higher than your eave or is that the highest accepted mounting point avail for an antenna? Do you have it in writing or is that what someone at the county 'told' you?
even-so-
I'd put a j-pole up on my chimney until someone came and made me take it down...ever the Rebel, SCW.
FWIW

The ARRL is your friend
Join, your local club and ARES too along the way-you'll become a part of your local emergency corps
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:49:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/18/2014 7:50:19 AM EST by AirRaceFan]
Originally Posted By SCWolverine:
I'm not one to advocate violating rules/laws.....but do you know specifically that your antenna cannot be higher than your eave or is that the highest accepted mounting point avail for an antenna? Do you have it in writing or is that what someone at the county 'told' you?
even-so-
I'd put a j-pole up on my chimney until someone came and made me take it down...ever the Rebel, SCW.
FWIW

The ARRL is your friend
Join, your local club and ARES too along the way-you'll become a part of your local emergency corps
View Quote
Got a copy of the covenant filed with the county from the records bureau Monday. As it reads, its enforceable by law by either the developer or disgruntled neighbors. It was renewed for another ten years in 2008.

I really don't think one neighbor would care, if he could see it through the trees. Heck, although the covenant doesn't mention it, I'm sure him occasionally testing some of his cowboy action reloads in his back yard would be frowned upon.

My other neighbor I'm not sure about. My original plan was to put some sort of tower at the back of the yard, about 90' to the rear, since it would be away from some of the trees and I figured that I could make a it little higher the the roof, but still be out of the walkers/joggers FOV due to the setback. There is only a farmer's field directly behind me.

Can someone tell me how to post a Google shot in Windows 7?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:44:54 AM EST
Put a flag on your vertical and call it a flagpole.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:24:16 PM EST
http://www.arrl.org/ares-el?issue=2014-06-18

K1CE For a Final: Communications in Neighborhood Preparedness

Let's take a moment to look at how the radio amateur down the street can help support his or her neighborhood to meet its preparedness goals. A radio amateur is ideal to call a meeting of his neighbors because of his expertise and experience with communications, the first prerequisite for any successful resident endeavor. Flyers announcing a planning meeting and agenda can be dropped in mailboxes, followed up with telephone calls. A community center or even a neighbor's home can serve as the venue for the meeting. The initial meeting is an ice breaker for neighbors to get to know one another in the context of possibly relying on each other in a disaster response scenario. To start off the meeting, a review of the types of hazards that face the neighborhood and history of events in the past can set the tone and instill the gravity of the mission with attendees.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:38:59 PM EST

Whats your zip code? I want to look to see what repeaters you have in the area.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:56:18 PM EST
Originally Posted By ScooterInVegas:

Whats your zip code? I want to look to see what repeaters you have in the area.
View Quote

45458. There are quite a few I believe.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:35:00 PM EST

I was just looking up IRLP repeaters near you. There are three that I can see.

Callsign WB8VSU
Freq 442.3000
Offset 5000.0000
CTCSS 123.0
Owner KX8O
URL http://www.daytonirlp.com

Callsign N8NQH
Freq 444.8750
Offset 5000.0000
CTCSS 94.8
Owner N8NQH
URL http://worldwidebeginnersnet.homestead.com/index.html