Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2010 4:09:51 PM EDT
After watching the price of supermarket bacon nearly double over the last year or so, I decided to break into one of these No.10 cans acquired in a group buy about about 7 years ago. I certainly got some strange looks from the better half when UPS delivered this case, but with food prices presently sky-rocketing, I wish I had bought much more. I seem to recall the vendor was also offering cases of beef and chicken, and considering I paid a whooping $135 for this case of 1800 pre-cooked bacon strips, I'm kicking myself for not procuring more at the time. The product was 8 years old when I purchased it, which may explain the low price. Especially consider that a case of Yoders (appx 480 strips total) when not on sale currently sells for about $135 !

There was a loud 'WHOOOOSH' as I punctured the can with the can opener. Immediately the kitchen filled with the aroma of freshly cooked bacon. There was a considerable amount of cosmoline (okay, bacon grease) in and around the large wax paper package of the 300 strips all neatly arranged like .45ACP in a Thompson C drum. The strips were evenly spaced and wrapped very well with no clumping. I heated about 6 or 7 strips in a frying pan for a few minutes and ate a few samples of the '95 vintage hog..................................................................................................................................................

-Absolutely delicious !
Reminds me a lot of Yoders in taste and texture. In fact, the third pic below is actually Yoders, as I forgot to snap a photo after opening. My surplus product looks very similar, only much more of it. It's actually wrapped much nicer than the strips in the Yoders pic.

I placed the next 93 or so strips in the refrigerator and the remaining 200 in the freezer.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:20:26 PM EDT

i did not know there were #10 cans filled with this amount of goodness

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:26:01 PM EDT
Dibs on Guns and AMMO!!! PM me the safe combo please.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:27:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/28/2010 4:30:44 PM EDT by TheFringe]
I believe the vendor may have been an Amour-Eckrich distributor that supplied military bases in CA.
I doubt any such products are currently offered to the public, but hope I am wrong.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:43:59 PM EDT
That's a lot of bacon! How long does canned cooked bacon last anyway?
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:56:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/28/2010 4:57:55 PM EDT by TheFringe]
Judging by my experience at least 20 years and probably longer. Yoders states 10 years but it's probably good for longer as well.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:44:22 PM EDT
canned bacon will last a VERY LONG time.
Kept cool, it will last longer than we will.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:57:38 PM EDT
Think I have a can or two of that. I just wonder what I am going to do with it all. Chances are that I am going to be by myself after SHTF, once the can is open I have to properly dispose of 300 pieces of bacon...
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 12:28:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:
Think I have a can or two of that. I just wonder what I am going to do with it all. Chances are that I am going to be by myself after SHTF, once the can is open I have to properly dispose of 300 pieces of bacon...

You say that like it's a bad thing!

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 8:54:39 AM EDT
Someone please find a source this this.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 11:18:07 AM EDT
AHHHHHH!!! Military surplus canned bacon! When I was a kid living in Europe, my parents would buy outdated cans at the PX. You could also get outdated cases of C-Rats. Was some of the best camping food in the world! Loved the gum packs as well as the little roll of TP and the four pack of smokes in the C-rats. We would toss a couple of cases in the back of the VW camper and head out to explore all corners of Europe on weekends.

To this day I still salivate when I think about that canned bacon. The Yoders comes close, but the military stuff seemed to be cut a little thicker and have a smokier taste.

stasiman
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 2:26:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Stasiman:
AHHHHHH!!! Military surplus canned bacon! When I was a kid living in Europe, my parents would buy outdated cans at the PX. You could also get outdated cases of C-Rats. Was some of the best camping food in the world! Loved the gum packs as well as the little roll of TP and the four pack of smokes in the C-rats. We would toss a couple of cases in the back of the VW camper and head out to explore all corners of Europe on weekends.

To this day I still salivate when I think about that canned bacon. The Yoders comes close, but the military stuff seemed to be cut a little thicker and have a smokier taste.

stasiman

I also have 2 cases of Yoders and I agree with your assessment.

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 2:39:12 PM EDT
My nutritional habits have changed, so it has been quite some time since I have eaten real bacon. That being said, those are awesome. I also never considered such a thing existed. Sure, I am aware of the Yoder offering, but never even wondered if it was ever packaged in a #10 can. I split a case of dehydrated cottage cheese a while back. Kind of wish I had picked up a case of the dehydrated pork chops also.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 4:29:48 PM EDT
Oh snap! I gotta get some of those! Where can I get some?!?!
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:21:24 PM EDT
haha c-rats....are any of those still edible? i think my grampa had some from when he was in ww2....never got a chance to open them though... they were for 'just in case' kinda like his silver tipped bullets.......

keeblerelf
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:25:02 PM EDT
I had no idea! Yummy!
Top Top