Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/25/2009 10:25:38 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2009 5:26:05 AM EST by hi-tech-rancher]
This massive 8 point buck was taken by my client at the ranch this past week. We had been looking for this deer for a while, because he wanted a trophy class 8 point for his wall. In past years, he had already taken a 12 pt., 10 pt, and several other good bucks, but never one with a 130+ B & C score, with only 8 points. My client and friend, is a guide's favorite type of customer. He always follows my directions, and he even asks which deer would be most beneficial to the management program if harvested. He had always used my .308 before, as "insurance" if we saw a trophy. Wow, how things have changed, that he and I both totally trust the 6.8 X 43 mm to put down any deer onto which we can place a good shot.

This deer was shot with the 85 grain TSX, in the shoulder, and the deer literally went down right there, dead instantly. We actually recovered the first 85 TSX since we started hunting with it. The gun was my AR Performance 12 twist 3 groove 20" DMR barrel. It is my "confidence gun" now.

The bullet entered just behind the high left shoulder, and it transected the body cavity, then struck the humeral head on the opposite side. This "ball" is very tough and thick. The bullet lost all but one if its petals ( which had peeled back perfectly) and we actually found them just near the shank. The shank itself had expanded, too! The expanded portion of the shank was about .30 caliber.

I have never seen any bullet do this. The energy obviously was deposited in the deer, and it fell over dead. No wonder these things drop huge pigs with one shot.

I think the whole "over-penetration" thing is finally completely dead. Congrats to my excellent client and to Barnes:

This is how we found the deer. He dropped in his tracks. Note the huge neck. This deer gross scored 138 & 2/8 and he weighed 158 lbs, which is excellent considering we just went through the worst drought in our state's history. We aged the jaw and estimate him to be 6 and a half years old.

Link Posted: 10/25/2009 11:23:41 AM EST
Impossible!!!

Everyone knows you have to use 338s, 375s, 416s, 577s, .50 Cal Barrett to kill whitetails and hogs.
Obviously, you just got lucky.

Thanks for the report. Keep at it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 9:14:59 PM EST
There is something "magic" about the high shoulder shot. Every one of them that I have done or witnessed has been DRT, not even a single step. Nice buck!
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 3:43:32 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 5:24:19 AM EST
Originally Posted By buckfever34:
Excellent buck....your client should have been very proud

indeed, he is and should be.

We have now tried three different shots with the TSX. Well, two were the standard "rib cage" shot, but one was a perfect heart shot, and 2 others went right through both lungs. A fourth deer was shot in the base of the neck, and was obviously DRT. No real magic there. The impressive thing to me is how this bullet reacts on soft, thin-skinned game when it goes through the lungs. I had previously thought of the TSX as needing to encounter heavy resistance (read...bone) to open up, but it now appears true that the hydrostatic shock associated with simply striking a target, is then imparted to the bullet's nose, causing full expansion of the petals. Seeing the shank expanded below the petals really impressed us.

I think the only reason this one lost its petals is that it struck the humeral head on the opposite side.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 2:22:46 PM EST
I like an 80/85 grn our of a 243
2-3 DRT two where 80
See left for the 85 grn one
Other one walked 20-30 yards and rolled over DRT
(Little 75lbs, Genetic shot 3 point)
Scope was of on that shot and the shot was low and back but still in ribs

I am working up a 223 for my Daughter to shot does next season she's ready this year to go deer hunting with Daddy
Best guess 20" free floater Scope or aim point not sure how she'll shoot each
1-9 twist with 64 grn
IM if you got an idea for a better set up
I have the lower DPMS with an RRA two stage match trigger Adjustable stock
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 4:11:21 PM EST
cool
I have shot several deer and hogs with the 6.8 and the 110 ttsx, all have been textbook clean kills
only shot one hog with the 85g TSX so far, worked great
my son shot a hog with the 85g TSX out of his 243, that did the trick, through both shulders and obliterated the heart

Link Posted: 10/27/2009 4:20:37 PM EST
Pics of the recovered bullet?
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 7:34:48 PM EST
Originally Posted By Brians_45:

As you guys know, I do a LOT of testing. This was a paid client's hunt, so I try to keep the focus on making sure they have a great time, rather than boring them with my incessant management record keeping, bullet testing, etc. Thus, I did not get a picture of the bullet.

I'm sorry....I thought maybe I should have photographed it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 3:49:11 AM EST
Sweet buck. How do you think they compare to the prohunters? Far superior? Do I need to switch?
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:21:03 AM EST

Originally Posted By hi-tech-rancher:
Originally Posted By Brians_45:

As you guys know, I do a LOT of testing. This was a paid client's hunt, so I try to keep the focus on making sure they have a great time, rather than boring them with my incessant management record keeping, bullet testing, etc. Thus, I did not get a picture of the bullet.

I'm sorry....I thought maybe I should have photographed it.

No big deal. I was just curious.

Great buck!
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 3:27:10 PM EST
Originally Posted By glocktex:
Sweet buck. How do you think they compare to the prohunters? Far superior? Do I need to switch?

Thanks

I am not sure I would say "far superior," since I have never yet seen a 110 Pro Hunter fail. They are also excellent deer bullets. However, the TSX is so good at so many things that it is looking like I am going to cut back on the number of bullets I am testing and shooting. After all, there is good logic in using the same bullet, with the same POI for most of the shooting you do with a given gun.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 3:51:53 AM EST
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:34:32 AM EST
Excellent results. Distance of shot? SSA-Factory or Own-reload?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:32:59 PM EST
But, but "energy" doesn't matter! Its a myth!

Busllshit. Nice deer.

Top Top