Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2007 5:18:15 PM EDT
If I make one with a rubber liner can it be kept clean like a pool?

My kids want a pool but the cost is way too high for me.  I'm trying to find a happy medium.

I would like to have 50k gallons of potable water right off the deck though
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:28:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got about a 3,000 gallon turtle pond in my back yard made from a liner.  It is probably a lot easier to keep clean without 7 turtles pooping in your pond.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I think a setup like this probably could be kept clean. However, I think it would take a very large filtration system, along with daily work to remove leaves, sticks etc. Unless you had some overwheling reason, I think the cost of running the filter/pump along with the manual labor would make the idea un-realistic.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#3]
50k gallons is a lot of water. Why not just dig your pond (if you can find a spring to feed it). I have one that is about 1.5 acres. You can always filter the water or use a non pressure feed RO system.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Unless you put a cement decking around it I doubt you will ever be able to keep it pool clean..

There is a forum just for pond enthusiest - its something like 'pond boss', you may want to check out the wisdom they can provide..

Brian
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I may have to cut it back to 20k gal.  I'm thinking of getting a 24-27' above ground pool and buying it in concrete.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#6]
a pond is a excellent idea
however i wouldnt suggest it right off your back porch its a skeeter farm
you wont be able to walk outside in the summer time without getting ate up

if you can find somewhere on your land where a natural stream will fill it up that would be your best bet, and possibly a clay bottom

our pond is great, its about 1/4 acre
its water for the deer turkey and other wildlife plus its got FRESH fish that we stocked from fingerling size that now have grown to more than edibble size
bass average around 3lbs and some fairly large catfish
along with some bluegill

its a great thing to have
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top