Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/3/2007 7:34:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2007 7:46:07 PM EDT by Burninator]
I have two good sized trunks that I'm looking to fill with essentials for each of our vehicles. I'd like to include a portable air pump and jump starting device. What do you think of these?: Campbell Hausfeld or Diehard

I'm looking for quality stuff that will work well in an emergency. What do you guys have?
Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:01:32 PM EDT
honestly, my experience with that type of stuff hasn't been real great. Never had those brands, but the ones I've had were good for jumping regular cars, but anything tough to turn over they didn't work real well. The air compressor on them were to weak to get me up to 35 lbs...

I have an actual portable air compressor, it doesn't have a tank on it, but you hook it to your battery terminals and it has pumped my truck tires up quite well! And then I have probably 16 ft long jumper cables that have never failed me....
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:25:50 AM EDT
Got a CH inflator. One word of advice, jack up the car to get the weight off the tire and it will inflate faster.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:00:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/4/2007 7:02:00 AM EDT by TomJefferson]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:29:14 AM EDT
That's some solid advice Tom Jefferson. We need to switch to standard transmissions so we can have the option of push starting a vehicle. This might sound crazy but what about a spare battery kept securely? I don't know... I'm reaching here. I guess I'm in between a good set of jumper cables and a separate compressor and a combo unit.

Hmmm...
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:42:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:30:29 AM EDT
I always was the guy to go to in highschool cause I had a GOOD set of jumper cables and a full size truck, with a full size battery to jump people. Seemed like I jumped someone every couple weeks

I still end up jumping peoples cars at the community college all the time it seems like.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:31:13 PM EDT

I have two but honestly can't recommend them or the concept as a replacement for jumper cables and a separate DC small compressor. They are supplement.

The batteries in all those things simply do not have enough amperage. They work fine for a low tire or jump on a low battery. Its at the extremes they fall short.

They definetely should be considered an augmentation to standard jumper cables. However, they are an indespensible augmentation if your car is faced into a space you can't traditionally jump OR if you simply can't find someone to hook up to. I have had both happen- so my standard jump cables were worth nothing.

If your battery is in the "orange range", just under operational, you can get the battery jumped just about instantly. If it is near dead, as in won't move the gauge but the interior lights still function, it takes a couple minutes, but they'll work.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:19:23 PM EDT
Well in the case of a spare battery, if you had a few tools, couldn't you just disconnect the dead battery and hook up the good one? Switch the terminal wires from one battery to the other and you're good to go?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:53:17 PM EDT
If you want good jumper cables, you will probably have to make your own from welding cable. Then you will have good flexible cables even when it is very cold out. Plus they will be able to handle heavy current loads.

There used to be a difference between jumper, and booster cables.

Jumper cables were the heavy duty cables that could handle current loads of hundreds of amps without any trouble at all.

Booster cables were nothing more than heavy wire, not cable, to charge the dead battery from another vehicle. Now, with everything so cheap, those terms are almost meaningless. If you want real jumper cables, you will have to make your own.

If someone asks me to give them a jump, I have a few questions I ask them to help me know what is really going on with the vehicle.

First I ask them if this is the first time they have needed a jump or has it been a problem for them the past week or more. If they say they have had no trouble and they are shocked that their battery is dead, I ask if they left the lights on or something else. If they say no again, I make sure the battery really is dead. More than once it has been nothing more than they just left the car in drive or they did not get it all the way in park. Move the gear shift back and forth, and try to start it. Almost everytime the vehicle will start. They look stupid, but you are not wasting your time.

If it still doesn't start, tell them to turn on their head lights. If they come on and are very bright, it isn't their battery. I then ask them to try to start the car with their head lights on. If the lights do not change in brightness, for what ever reason there is no power getting to the starting motor. If the lights dim ALOT, then they have a locked up starting motor. In either case, jumping it means nothing, and you are wasting your time.

No lights, no horn, give them a jump, and see what happens. If it still does not start, remove the ground jumper from their battery and hook it to a good engine ground, like a bracket or something. Then try it again. If it starts, it may be nothing more than a poor ground from their battery.

It is nice to have some idea what is going on with their vehicle, and be able to help them fix the problem as well as getting them started. It is just a process of elimination is all.

For air compressors, I just bought a couple of $5 cheap junk ones on ebay. I run one for a couple minutes until it gets warm, and then swap it out. One is cooling inside the car with the AC running, and the other is pumping air.

I have never used those battery packs, so I don't know if they are any good.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:27:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Burninator:
That's some solid advice Tom Jefferson. We need to switch to standard transmissions so we can have the option of push starting a vehicle. This might sound crazy but what about a spare battery kept securely? I don't know... I'm reaching here. I guess I'm in between a good set of jumper cables and a separate compressor and a combo unit.

Hmmm...

I've had the same question. Seems to make sense.
Top Top