Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
2/21/2020 11:35:28 PM
Posted: 6/27/2008 6:14:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/27/2008 6:31:01 AM EST by WilsonCQB1911]
I know absolutely nothing about this stuff and have never purchased or used any before.

I think for me I want two different setups. I want a lightweight, lower profile rig and a full setup with pouches for other stuff like NV, knives, pistol mags, etc.

I want the option of stowing either STANAG mags or M1A mags as I use either a 223 based platform or the M1A as my go-to gun.

Here's what I was looking at for the low-pro. It's got a lot of mag storage (maybe too much?), but no options for handgun mags.
http://www.skdtac.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=176

I have no clue on the larger setup....
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 6:19:26 AM EST
check these guys out
www.tacticaltailor.com/
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 6:30:51 AM EST

Originally Posted By Hulka73:
check these guys out
www.tacticaltailor.com/

Yeah TT has some great stuff. I've got a dump pouch I use for matches and it's awesome. Very well constructed.

Do you happen to have any personal experience with any of their load-bearing gear? Can you give me some of your observations/opinions?
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 7:00:53 AM EST
I like my tactical tailor stuff.....i have a 1piece and 2 piece mav.
Get the x harness it just makes it easier/faster to put on especially if you go with a 1 piece mav more comfortable to carry (although it wasn't bad without) they also work fine with a pack.

Link Posted: 6/27/2008 7:16:52 AM EST

Originally Posted By WilsonCQB1911:

Originally Posted By Hulka73:
check these guys out
www.tacticaltailor.com/

Yeah TT has some great stuff. I've got a dump pouch I use for matches and it's awesome. Very well constructed.

Do you happen to have any personal experience with any of their load-bearing gear? Can you give me some of your observations/opinions?

+1 on the tactical tailor gear,I've used it extensively in Iraq and A-stan.If I were in your position,I would check out the EE,and look for the rainier gear mini mav.It's modular,so you put the pouches where you want,and you can set up the rig for what load out you'll be taking.

Another very viable option is the Spec OPs MOUT chest rig.Just add a couple pistol mag pouches and you've got a solid very low pro rig.You can find them here in the EE usually for quite a bit less than retail.

The main thing I specifically don't like about the Boar and Bush boar series is that the rigs size differently with mags in them.So if you end up firing off 3 mags,your chest rig is now loose and sloppy on you and that sacrifices speed.Not to mention,you can pick up a SpecOPs MOUT rig,and pouches,and still have enough left to pick up a couple boxes of .22 compared to the ESSTAC gear.
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 9:17:19 AM EST
Check out Botach Tactical's clearance sale - I picked up 2 low profile chest rigs for $20 each.

Holds 4 30 rnd AR mags and with a little extra velcro sewn on it will accomodate AK mags in a pinch. Not a lot of real estate to add onto because its more like a shingle with shoulder straps but there is MOLLE webbing all across the front so you can attach pistol mag pouches, a first aid pouch, small admin. pouch, radio or GPS ,etc.

Its about as low profile as I could get besides just stuffing a mag in my back pocket.
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 1:24:21 AM EST
I have the black water lo pro chest rig I got at skd. Works great. A friend just bought another blackwater zip rig that can be adapted to a plate carrier format at skd on closeout and seems to like it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 5:24:42 AM EST
I'm kinda eyeing up this one myself:

Blackhawk D.O.A.V. vest

If I remember correctly, the pouches will hold either 3 M16 style mags or 2 M14 style mags, and that is one of the reasons I would want it. Like you, I have both the AR15 and the M1A, and it would depend on the situation as to which I would be using.

It is all about having options.
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 5:48:37 AM EST
Anyone with experience with this item? Link
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 7:31:40 AM EST
I have this Eagle Chest Rig

SO far I like it but I haven't quite finished working out the extra pouches I'll need. I did try using a molle holster but I'm not sure I like it so high on my chest (pistol).

I've tried vests and given up, now it's just chest-rigs for me as they won't interfere with my backpack.

Link Posted: 6/30/2008 12:02:07 AM EST
Go to the Tactical Gear section in the Armory community. You'll be reading for hours.
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 2:14:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By Terminus:

SO far I like it but I haven't quite finished working out the extra pouches I'll need. I did try using a molle holster but I'm not sure I like it so high on my chest (pistol).

I've tried vests and given up, now it's just chest-rigs for me as they won't interfere with my backpack.

I have the same chest rig. I used it for the last 6 or so months in Iraq. I modded it after returning and have to say it is perfect now.

I started out with a TT MAV. I wore it for a long time. I liked it ok- just one flaw. The damn triple mag pouches blow. They stand out from your chest so far, forget about getting low to the ground.

Deciding to get a low profile rig, I tried an EssTac Boar. I deployed with the boar and enough pouches to change my load out accordingly. My major problem with the Boar was that it lost the low profile appeal if you attach anything else on it. It was quite heavy and stiff as well. Along about that time, I started eying the SKD-Eagle chest rig.

I bought one and never looked back. With the chest rig, a blow out pouch, and a hydration pouch on my back I had a light enough load I wasn't buggered but, I could still fight my way out of most situations. No issues getting into the prone either. Padded straps were a blessing (even through BA crappy straps wear on you). I carried extras in my trusty Kifaru Scout that has rode along side of me for the last 2-3 years.

When I got back I decided to mod it to make it even better. Tactical Tailor did the mods. The number one thing I wanted was to be able to attach a hydration pouch ( I didn't like losing my hydration pouch when using the rig without BA). I added some horizontal PALs along the straps. This enabled me to attack a pouch on the back of the rig. I also had them take off the mag pouches. It made the rig a lot slimmer and I prefer them on my belt anyways. And finally, I had them add some retention bungies. I never liked the "friction fit" design.

It is now perfect. So perfect that I bought another and had the same mods done.
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 7:25:55 PM EST
ATS Tactical makes a nice chest rig, and they make it in both M16 and M14 versions. If you have two rifles, you need two rigs. You might have to equip a buddy or not have the time to switch.
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 1:40:20 PM EST
I also recommend the Tactical Tailor MAV 2 piece. I have one with the X harness and you hardly notice it is on. The only gripe I have is finding a place for your poncho is a PITA.

ACman:
Can you reach your cargo pockets with that setup? I found out on mine that if I had two of those large GP pockets on the side and they were full I couldn't reach mine. I didn't think it was funny but the others on the patrol thought it was hilarious.

Omni
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 5:29:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/5/2008 5:30:42 PM EST by PolyTechKID]
Light, low pro rig = SKD eagle universal, in multicam of course
Big-time rig = TT 2-piece mav with x-harness and a hydration carrier, in multicam of course

All out super duper money's no object rig = Original SOE gear patrol vest, or maybe a mookie war rig

Polytech
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 8:37:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/6/2008 8:42:07 AM EST by AFSOC]

Originally Posted By PolyTechKID:
Light, low pro rig = SKD eagle universal, in multicam of course Best Bang for the Buck by FAR!!!
Big-time rig = TT 2-piece mav with x-harness and a hydration carrier, in multicam of course Nice but basically the same rig, Modular, and you have to buy the pouches extra after you paid double for a rack

All out super duper money's no object rig = Original SOE gear patrol vest, or maybe a mookie war rig $600, John's stuff rocks but $600??? Too much and carry's way too much crap...

Polytech

What do I use? EAGLE SKD PHUTV... OD Green...

Added PALS loops to the left Suspender, Split the pistol mag pouch flaps. Radio pouch under left arm, BOK under right. SDU-5E strobe laced to left suspender, Compass and Signal Mirror in pouch, CAT, PTT for Radio Headset. These vests can carry up to 8 M-16 mags, or 4 M-14 or FAL mags. Internal Map Pocket, I put a kydex insert in one pouch for my pistol, so that cuts me down to 6 mags. You CAN swap out the suspenders for a TT x Harness too, I understand that makes it more comfortable. Works well over armor also. It is cost effective too. Granted it is not modular but then how often do you NEED to move stuff around? This rig is laid out in a nice arrangement where everything is readily accessible.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 8:58:42 AM EST

Originally Posted By hispeedal2:

I have the same chest rig. I used it for the last 6 or so months in Iraq. I modded it after returning and have to say it is perfect now.

I started out with a TT MAV. I wore it for a long time. I liked it ok- just one flaw. The damn triple mag pouches blow. They stand out from your chest so far, forget about getting low to the ground.

Deciding to get a low profile rig, I tried an EssTac Boar. I deployed with the boar and enough pouches to change my load out accordingly. My major problem with the Boar was that it lost the low profile appeal if you attach anything else on it. It was quite heavy and stiff as well. Along about that time, I started eying the SKD-Eagle chest rig.

I bought one and never looked back. With the chest rig, a blow out pouch, and a hydration pouch on my back I had a light enough load I wasn't buggered but, I could still fight my way out of most situations. No issues getting into the prone either. Padded straps were a blessing (even through BA crappy straps wear on you). I carried extras in my trusty Kifaru Scout that has rode along side of me for the last 2-3 years.

When I got back I decided to mod it to make it even better. Tactical Tailor did the mods. The number one thing I wanted was to be able to attach a hydration pouch ( I didn't like losing my hydration pouch when using the rig without BA). I added some horizontal PALs along the straps. This enabled me to attack a pouch on the back of the rig. I also had them take off the mag pouches. It made the rig a lot slimmer and I prefer them on my belt anyways. And finally, I had them add some retention bungies. I never liked the "friction fit" design.

Can you post lots of pictures????? PLEASE!!!
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 2:52:27 PM EST
The Eagle/SKD chest rig can't be beat for the price. It is setup and ready to go out of the box. I also have a HSGI Weesatch with plates, but I use the Eagle/SKD more often.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 8:39:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/7/2008 9:46:50 PM EST by ROMAD-556]

With the <SKD> chest rig, a blow out pouch, and a hydration pouch on my back I had a light enough load I wasn't buggered but, I could still fight my way out of most situations.

How did you deal with the hydration pouch? Did you wear two assemblies or is there a way to integrate a hydration pouch with the SKD?

Seems like if you throw on a camelbak and then don the SKD you have a couple layers of shoulder straps and webbing that could get jacked up.

Might have to look into the TT X harness mod and see how the 1.5L hydration bladder works with the setup.
IMHO thats all the SKD is missing (well that and the AFSOC mods...oh man would I love a kydex G19 insert )

Link Posted: 7/8/2008 3:03:06 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/8/2008 3:03:42 AM EST by Terminus]

Originally Posted By hispeedal2:

Hey, pictures please? I'd like to do what you did to mine!

Link Posted: 7/8/2008 7:02:26 AM EST

I have that rig too -- it's a great rig and worked well in my carbine class. I had added 2 TT M14 mag pouches to it on either side but wound up taking the one off from my strong side. It was getting in the way of my pistol drawstroke.

I heartily recommend this rig. ONLY downside is there is no option for a hydration carrier (yes I know, then it wouldn't be a budget chest rig, I know ) so I had to wear one over this. Wasn't a show stopper by any stretch.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 2:56:13 PM EST
I use my camelback underneath the UTV, Never seems to get caught up on anything.

Attaching a hydration carrier to the thing wouldn't be too terribly tough.
You can add the TT Yoke if you want already.

Oh and ROMAD, I made my kydex insert.

The "AFSOC" mods!!! I like the sound of that!

The PALS loops on the left suspender are just 1" webbing sewn down most stitch bitches should be able to do that mod easy enough,

the Split pistol flaps I did myself heat seal the line then use razor shears to cut it (Use a steel ruler when heat sealing) Then run a stitch along the cut edge to secure the velcro and the webbing on the edge. The Kydex insert is just a folded kydex holster boot that I molded myself, riveted together then a length of P-Cord run through one of the rivets and dropped through the drain hole in the bottom of a pouch, then knotted with a big fat knot... Don't seem to have a pic of the insert handy.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 4:25:16 PM EST
+1 for what militant zero said. Light/lo pro...go to EE...go to ranier gear and get TT mini mav in whatever color you like...then customize. Small concealable, good for carbine courses, doesn't make you look like gear whore psyhco in plate carrier. (yes I also have a plate carrier, and am a gear whore psycho).
-Green

P.S. Todd at Ranier Gear is a good dude and easy to deal with. I got my mini mav from him.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 7:43:26 AM EST
was running this for a bit with a x51 rifle and some other smaller cal ebr's. kinda warm in summer though, 100001 pockets.

izzy r1 vest.
right now im running a mesh TT FLC style set up. i had a HSGI warlord, but didnt really care for it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 8:25:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By AFSOC:
I use my camelback underneath the UTV, Never seems to get caught up on anything.

The PALS loops on the left suspender are just 1" webbing sewn down most stitch bitches should be able to do that mod easy enough,
i30.photobucket.com/albums/c304/AFSOC/DSC_0725.jpg
the Split pistol flaps I did myself heat seal the line then use razor shears to cut it (Use a steel ruler when heat sealing) Then run a stitch along the cut edge to secure the velcro and the webbing on the edge. The Kydex insert is just a folded kydex holster boot that I molded myself, riveted together then a length of P-Cord run through one of the rivets and dropped through the drain hole in the bottom of a pouch, then knotted with a big fat knot... Don't seem to have a pic of the insert handy.

TT X Harness is not a "plug & play" option, buckles will need to be switched.
PTK
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 12:02:48 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/9/2008 12:36:51 PM EST by AFSOC]

i30.photobucket.com/albums/c304/AFSOC/DSC_0725.jpg

PTK

Meh, I was just told that you could add the X to the PHUTV, I have never done it, Don't really see the point of adding a Yoke that costs half the price of the Rig...

The UTV is, as it stands, a Good all around rig, If you buy one and "Modify" it or send it to be MODIFIED, you will probably pay as much for the work as you would if you just bought what you wanted anyway, I agree that there are better ways to do things with the rig, Shock Cord, instead of Flat Elastic, Split Pistol Mag Flaps should be Standard, The Pistol Inserts should be available commercially (though the pouch is just a mag pouch with the insert and the thumb break which I might add needs considerable rethinking! I think Kydex Insert V2 will have a self contained Thumb Break.)

Adding Hydration to the rig I see as being too much on the one rig, Say for instance that I need to ditch the thing to move fast and light, I can unhook my chest rig, dump it strip the compass, Signal Mirror, Pistol and Mags from it and move out keeping my water on my back, Then again a Drop Leg rig and belt mounted pistol pouches would be OK too.

I like the layout of the vest as is, the pistol mag pouches and the Rifle Mag Pouches in the center, where they can be reached with both hands, the Pistol pouches need Kydex inserts so that the mags will come out without the catch notch hanging up on the edge binding. A couple lengths of PALS UNDER the mag pouches so that I could hang a couple Willis Horizontal Smoke pouches under there. this would also let me move my BOK and Radio DOWN one row, an H style harness would be better than an X style that it comes with. But then again for $70 or $80 it is a good SOLID rig, I haven't managed to destroy mine yet, and I use it on more than the square range as you well know!

Here is a comparison between the PHUTV and the Rhodesian Selous Scout "Mag Bra" from the 70s Seemed to work well for these guys!!! They carried this, and a Pistol belt with a single canteen as I recall. Shorts, T-Shirt, and the Rhodesian Camo Cap.

Link Posted: 7/9/2008 5:31:59 PM EST
AFSOC,
PLEASE PROMISE YOU WILL NEVER SHOW UP TO A MATCH KITTED OUT LIKE A RHODESIAN!!!! We'd need some serious eye bleach if you wore shorty shorts like that

PTK
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 6:26:51 PM EST

AFSOC,
PLEASE PROMISE YOU WILL NEVER SHOW UP TO A MATCH KITTED OUT LIKE A RHODESIAN!!!! We'd need some serious eye bleach if you wore shorty shorts like that

PTK

Never happen... Apparently that was the style in the beseiged war torn country in the 70's Only the Selous Scouts dressed like that to my knowledge... Those guys fought well I don't care how they dressed!

Maybe full Rhodesian Camo and Fireforce rig, with FAL of course...

Link Posted: 7/9/2008 6:30:07 PM EST

PTK

Meh, I was just told that you could add the X to the PHUTV, I have never done it, Don't really see the point of adding a Yoke that costs half the price of the Rig...

you can NOT add the X-harness to the SKD rig with out a shit load of mod's

AR15.COM :: Forums :: Adding a Hydration Carrier to Eagle / SKD Chest Rig
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=10&t=247537
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:13:11 PM EST

Originally Posted By Omni:
I also recommend the Tactical Tailor MAV 2 piece. I have one with the X harness and you hardly notice it is on. The only gripe I have is finding a place for your poncho is a PITA.

ACman:
Can you reach your cargo pockets with that setup? I found out on mine that if I had two of those large GP pockets on the side and they were full I couldn't reach mine. I didn't think it was funny but the others on the patrol thought it was hilarious.

Omni

Sorry for the delayed response bud i was gone riding quads with Halff

I haven't noticed an issue getting to anything cargo pockets or other wise.

Everybodys diffrent i usually keep my poncho either in the hydration carrier i have on one or straped to the camelback i'm using with the other one....
I really need to just buy another hydration carrier since i hate that camelback
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:27:01 PM EST
I just picked this up and it is awesome. Works great with my body armor and the weight is a nonissue. I think I am going to get another less work oriented and more day to day on the place oriented.

check this link if you are interested:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=90&t=475831

The guy is great to deal with and 100% good product.
Top Top