Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2007 2:56:08 PM EDT
I'm putting in a patio. I want to build a fireplace for light and some heat. I'd like to make it multi functional and use it for cooking as well. We have smokers, grills, turkey fryers, but no real way to cook over fire. It can be either masonry or steel. I just need ideas and or plans. Anybody done this or similar? I can't find anything on the net.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#1]
A quick and dirty solution is to buy a cheap kettle grill.  Take off the legs.  Dig a hole equal to the diameter of bottom half of the kettle, but not very deep.  Set base in the hole, on a few bricks.  Then dry stack bricks around the bottom half, leaving some space between bricks for air flow.  Set top on.

You can grill or sit around it.  You don't even need to dig a hole.  Just set base on a few bricks so it is stable, then stack bricks around it.  Be sure to leave enough space to easily lift out base when you want to dump ashes and clean up the hole.

It is also not permanent in case you want to try/test different locations.

For some good plans go to your local stone center.  

My personal favorite is an old steel fireplace insert, about 100 years old.  I put it on a cement pad and stacked bricks on three sides.  I can put a trash can on top to convert into a two chamber smoker.  I bought mine at a salvage place years ago for less then the typical outdoor firepit.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd strongly advocate steel.  Masonry tends to be relatively short lived.  The heat justs bakes the brick/block/concrete and makes it brittle and crumbly.  One really easy method is simply to scrounge up an old truck wheel, cut or torch the center out and use the 'rim' as a fire ring.  They hold up well.  A simple welded grill over the sides can be used for grilling or a pot support.

Link Posted: 8/9/2007 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#3]
We're also planning along these lines.  I think we're going to go with a brick oven but I don't know which one.  

There are a bunch different types to see here.

R.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#4]
The use of fire brick and the correct mortar will make an outdoor oven that will last a very long time.
I am getting ready to start mine as soon as it cools off some.
Good luck with your project
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, it's really hot here. Want to build next month when it's tolerable.  I just can't find any plans. Steel is no problem. Masonry isn't either.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 4:38:06 AM EDT
[#6]
You might check here http://www.tractorbynet.com/
Look under the project area. I know I have seen folks showing
fire pits that they have built
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 4:57:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I like to cut 55 gallon drums down by 1/3rd. and cut images into the sides like cave drawings. Fun at night to watch the flame light them up. They last about 2 years
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:56:57 AM EDT
[#9]
That's what I'm talking about!
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Looking forward to the pics of whichever one you end up building...
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Have you thought about a chiminea? Some are built to include a small grill.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:09:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I've thought about all options. The chimnea is too small and prone to breaking. A wood stove is better, but not that good for open flame goodness. I'll probably go with that pig bbq fireplace or similar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top