Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2013 11:14:53 AM EDT
Every time I try to save a dollar I end up regretting it, and this time is no different.   BUT, maybe you can help me.

I bought a FT-100D on ebay and it isn't working correctly.   I can make contacts but people cannot hear me very well.    Today I went and bought a wattmeter and the radio is only putting out between 5 and 15 watts, and that is only if I yell into the mic pretty loudly on USB and LSB on HF.  2m works great.   The internal adjustment for HF Power is set to 100 and mic gain is set to 50.    Is anyone familiar enough with these radios to know if there is a setting that isn't correct and is causing the problem?    Maybe something simple that I just don't know about?    I'm still really new to radios in general.

I know buying on eBay is a risk, but I've had close to 80 transactions and all of them have been good except for this one.   There are no returns, unfortunately.   Does anyone happen to know if I can get any of money back through eBay or Paypal or am I just SOL?

Waiting to hear back from the seller.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:21:48 AM EDT
How many watts is it putting out on HF FM or CW?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:31:25 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

+1 on this excellent question.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:31:31 AM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

FM on 20M is right near 100 watts, I just checked.   Can't get a reading on the meter with CW.    Still trying...
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:35:21 AM EDT
Quoted:

FM on 20M is right near 100 watts, I just checked.   Can't get a reading on the meter with CW.    Still trying...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hold the key down, if using a paddle, put the rig in straight key mode and press the key and take the reading. HTH
Rob
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:48:37 AM EDT
Quoted:

Hold the key down, if using a paddle, put the rig in straight key mode and press the key and take the reading. HTH
Rob
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rob

I've got the keyer in and I can hear the  dits and dahs when I key, but it's not sending out a CW signal.   Even on SWR it isn't bumping the needle.   There's no outgoing signal...

ETA:   and that would be because of the break-in button.  Duh.  

It is putting out 5-7 watts on CW.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:30:16 PM EDT
Any ideas? Fixable? SOL?

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:46:47 PM EDT
It looks like it has separate finals for HF vs. VHF/UHF.  If the latter is fine, but HF is not, I'd be troubleshooting the HF PA section.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:59:45 PM EDT
Quoted:
Any ideas? Fixable? SOL?

View Quote

one of the problems with the FT-100D's. the finals were the weak spot and are no longer available. you have a very nice 2m/70cm radio though. LOL.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:10:24 PM EDT
Quoted:

one of the problems with the FT-100D's. the finals were the weak spot and are no longer available. you have a very nice 2m/70cm radio though. LOL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any ideas? Fixable? SOL?

He says he got 100 watts on 20 meter FM...
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:15:01 PM EDT

Did I miss it, or did he say what the SWR was?

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:21:56 PM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any ideas? Fixable? SOL?

I had 100.   Now its 50.   CW was only pushing out 5-7w but now it sometimes goes all the way up to 50w.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:23:28 PM EDT
Quoted:

Did I miss it, or did he say what the SWR was?

View Quote

I didn't say.    When I test on 20 it is with a 20m dipole and when I test on 40 it is with a 40m dipole, so the SWR shouldn't be an issue.    Same issue in the mobile with the Tarheel 2 before I brought the radio inside.  I would tune it to each band but it didn't make a difference.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:23:59 PM EDT
If its fluctuating I would check you antenna connectors. Are you watching the swr? Have you tried a dummy load? What about turning the mic gain up.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:25:57 PM EDT
A quick Google search tells me that power fluctuations are a common problem with that rig.  Do some searching and good luck with an easy fix!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:32:17 PM EDT

Quoted:

I didn't say.    When I test on 20 it is with a 20m dipole and when I test on 40 it is with a 40m dipole, so the SWR shouldn't be an issue.

View Quote

Center fed wire dipoles? Their SWR can fluctuate greatly. I was suggest checking the SWR.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:48:37 PM EDT
Quoted:

Center fed wire dipoles? Their SWR can fluctuate greatly. I was suggest checking the SWR.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say.    When I test on 20 it is with a 20m dipole and when I test on 40 it is with a 40m dipole, so the SWR shouldn't be an issue.

I just checked it all the way across 20 and all the way across 40, side bands respectively and CW, and it's between 1.1 and 1.3 the entire time.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:59:20 PM EDT
I'd suggest you try it on a dummy load first.

What you're describing could be caused by a loose connector inside the rig, a cold solder joint, etc...
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:21:01 PM EDT
Quoted:
I'd suggest you try it on a dummy load first.

What you're describing could be caused by a loose connector inside the rig, a cold solder joint, etc...
View Quote

Will do.   I don't have one but can get one.   Heck, I didn't even have a SWR/watt meter until today.   My FT-950 has both the SWR and the power meter built in so there wasn't a need.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:59:54 PM EDT
There is always a need for an external meter! I like the diawas.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:51:13 AM EDT
Quoted:
There is always a need for an external meter! I like the diawas.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 12:31:29 PM EDT
You definitely should have a dummy load.

As for SWR meters, I use the MFJ-860 ($60) for HF. The  MFJ-864 ($100)  covers HF, VHF, and UHF. The expensive ones are nice, but I started hamming back in the mid-'50s and the closest we had to an SWR indicator was two pilot lamps on a short length of 300 Ohm twinlead. We just cut the antennas to length, put 'em up, and worked  the world, so a minimalist approach works for me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 12:43:44 PM EDT
I'm headed to a very experienced ham's house with my radio  here in about 20 minutes.   He has everything you can think of so we should be able to eliminate some possibilities.  

We'll see...

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 12:53:52 PM EDT
Quoted:
The expensive ones are nice, but I started hamming back in the mid-'50s and the closest we had to an SWR indicator was two pilot lamps on a short length of 300 Ohm twinlead. We just cut the antennas to length, put 'em up, and worked  the world, so a minimalist approach works for me.
View Quote

You piqued my interest.

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=25308.0;wap2
Top Top