Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2009 10:28:54 AM EDT
Started four years ago with one tomato plant. I now have 4 tomato plants (5 if you include the runt) 4 pepper plants (1 green, 1 red, 2 yellow) and a group of 3 cucumbers (trellis)

Group shot[/b

Tomato's: L-R: Parks Whooper, Beefsteak, (2) Bigboy's the bigboy really took off as you can tell from the eight foot stakes.

Close-up of the Beefsteak...really cranking out production now.

Peppers L-R: Green, Red, (2) Yellow...seem to be lagging this year got a few...we'll see what happens.

[b]Cucumbers
Straight 8's 3 plants on a trellis...as you can see the right side has collapsed but they are producing really well.

As you can tell I really trim the tomato plants...they get pinched and the non-producing leafs get halved when about 4-6 inches long...my old neighbor told me to do this...seems to work.

That's all I got...but it's keeps me busy enough. The soil is top dressed with compost twice a year and no fertilizer is used.

It get's 6-7 hours of sun and the back of the house keeps it protected several weeks after our first frost...I had producing plants until Nov 26th last year.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 10:34:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Great job. You can always find room somewhere!

AC
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 2:06:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice looking maters.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice lookin tomatoes! Wish I could grow em here... To hot and large tomatoes cook and split on the vine... Cherry and grape tomatoes are doin fine tho!
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I like it!

Looks like that side of the house really gets blasted with sun.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Those pics. really make me jealous. Good work.

Where you at Grumpy gramps? I'm outside Austin, and we definetly had almost everything after the first part of June burn up.

Things stayed green, just didn't bear fruit, except a late blooming tomatoe that is still kickin.  Gonna put up some shade cloth for the fall planting.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Very nice, wish my tomatoes looked as nice as yours. And next year I am definitely making a trellis for the cucs. You are the second person to say they did that and I had never thought of it. Sucks cause our cucs haven't done crap this year, not sure if we will get any or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top