Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2007 2:57:39 PM EDT
I planted some Hubbard squash around Aug 1. They have been growing vigorously and are now about 15' long. I get dozens of male flowers and a few females. Each plant has a nice large well formed fruit but the other female flowers never get more than about 1/2" long then turn yellow and fall off.

Should they get more than 1 fruit per vine?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:29:34 AM EDT
You might have a stink bug problem ! My summer squash did that and I found out that the stink bugs liked eating the flower portion of the squash and it would fall off and die . This might not be the problem but you could find out by taking a spray bottle with a few Tbl spoons of dish soap and water in it and spray them down , the bugs don't like the soap and will leave it alone . If you have egg clusters on your leaves , I'd bet this is your problem !
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:50:31 AM EDT
Oh how I hate "squashbugs". We got a terrific crop of zucchini once I got rid of the bugs.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:30:24 PM EDT
Try hand pollenating the female flowers, use a q-tip.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:43:03 PM EDT
They're not getting big enough. They are turning yellow while still tiny. Could extreme heat and drought cause it? I don't have much time, only 3 weeks or so until frost (even though it was 90 yesterday )
Top Top