Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/4/2012 4:58:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 4:58:28 PM EDT by beakerello]
I've got some venison that I need to make into jerky. Does anybody have a good jerky recipe that they'd like to share? I'm wanting to make some "plain", terryaki (sp?), and some hot. Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:34:52 PM EDT
50/50 brown sugar/salt, add some garlic powder. Season all over. Let sit in a ziplock overnight.

For hot, add cayenne.

For teriyaki, add pineapple marmalade, and ground ginger.

Don't over dry.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:26:26 PM EDT
I don't know if this helps because I try all kinds of things when I make mine. But in general I would agree with James above for getting the spices right. I did make a dinner thread on here about this a couple years ago and linked it below. I wing it everytime, but it always gets consumed so fast it makes your head spin and I never write down the exact ingredients I used.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=841527
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:44:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By gomulego:
I don't know if this helps because I try all kinds of things when I make mine. But in general I would agree with James above for getting the spices right. I did make a dinner thread on here about this a couple years ago and linked it below. I wing it everytime, but it always gets consumed so fast it makes your head spin and I never write down the exact ingredients I used.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=841527

I try to keep my 'ingredients' to four or less for jerky.

Black pepper, teriyaki/soy sauce, BBQ spice blend, garlic powder.

I add red pepper flake when I want it spicier and/or vary the other four ingredients to get a variety of flavors.

Simpler is best. I have some jerky recipes that have 15-20 ingredients, and while tasty, are not worth the trouble compared to a simpler approach.

TRG

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:34:11 PM EDT
I am lazy, but get a bottle of dales steak seasoning at walmart.....slice meat thin, marinated overnight, I like to start my dehydrator at 8 am and pull the meat right at 5. Got called out on my last batch and didn't pull it till 9pm......wasn't hardly worth eating.

Oh yeah, I add black pepper to mine while loading the dehydrator and the meat is wet and the pepper will stick. Nothing like fresh ground black pepper venison jerky!!

Doc
Top Top