Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2010 3:33:30 AM EST
Cane seasone it here.

If I store gas for 6 months should I do any thing special?

Staibil? Seafoam? Run-what-u-brung and just let it sit?

I plan on filling up my cans this week and they storede till needed go till December, Which ever is first.

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 2:25:54 PM EST
Stabil should be fine. I use it to treat my gas stash (50 galons) which I keep for a year before rotating out and never had any problems.
Link Posted: 6/30/2010 8:50:41 AM EST
I use NATO cans and TRY to use it every six months. Six months is a minimum storage time. Some cans go a year+ before I put it in the car. I've never had a hint of a problem...

Just straight gas.
IE: no stabilizer.
Link Posted: 6/30/2010 9:07:03 AM EST
I have used fuel as old as a year or more.

But I am a little worried about the E10% stuff stored in a HOT Florida Shed.
Link Posted: 7/1/2010 7:45:21 AM EST
I use Marine Sta-bil.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 4:05:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/7/2010 4:13:00 PM EST by cw242]
Marine stabil, its the blue stuff. most wal marts are now carrying it. I have been using it since it came out. 120 gal. of e-10 ran fine after sitting for well over 1 yr.

Link Posted: 7/12/2010 8:38:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/12/2010 8:39:03 PM EST by yumbeef]
i've stored untreated 93 octane with ethanol in metal non-carb nozzled jerry cans for about a year and it runs fine in my tacoma, civic and lawn equipment. i'd imagine 87 would store fine.

ETA store in a hot humid houston garage. i don't have a shed.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 4:21:36 AM EST
I have 12 5-gallon plastic cans I have been storing. What I do is just use two a month and then refill. That keeps me stocked with 60-gallons that is never over 6 months old. If I haven't used my 10-gallons each month in the misc equipment, it goes in my truck. I figure that way I am diluting the 6 month old gas that goes in my truck with at least 50% new gas. The gas is stored outside in a wooden storage box I built that is in the shade. The box gets wet when it rains and some of the rain can get onto the cans, but I have never had a problem. I do filter the gas as it is poured from the can. I do not use any additives or stabilizers.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 4:53:13 AM EST
Originally Posted By voughtf4u:
I have 12 5-gallon plastic cans I have been storing. What I do is just use two a month and then refill. That keeps me stocked with 60-gallons that is never over 6 months old. If I haven't used my 10-gallons each month in the misc equipment, it goes in my truck. I figure that way I am diluting the 6 month old gas that goes in my truck with at least 50% new gas. The gas is stored outside in a wooden storage box I built that is in the shade. The box gets wet when it rains and some of the rain can get onto the cans, but I have never had a problem. I do filter the gas as it is poured from the can. I do not use any additives or stabilizers.

I like that method
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:50:33 AM EST
I ran some 87 octane that was over 1.5 years old just the other day in my 09 Dodge Ram Hemi. I had Sta-bil in it and it only filled half of my tank, but I didn't have any issues.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 7:22:50 AM EST
Originally Posted By gunsho11b:
Stabil should be fine. I use it to treat my gas stash (50 galons) which I keep for a year before rotating out and never had any problems.

Same here. Actually last time I went 2 years.
Top Top