Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2010 9:36:46 AM EDT
Based off of czechsix's thread HERE anyone want to help me tweak a proposal idea?..

i've got an idea i'd like to suggest but could use a hand in tweaking the "meat" of the idea as well as with the "polish"(spelling and grammar, sorry, product of poor public schooling). by reading what i've got so far i think most will be able to get the jest of what i'm going for here. all help and suggestions would be appriiated!..

now i definatelly do realise the fed. gov. getting off their ollective lazy ignorant asses and doing much that actully benefits the public is likely a far cry from reality, but if we all stop trying the war is definatelly lost so...

here's what i'm thinking and working with so far:

Develope a syllabus and provide a grant for Middle School High School and College level elective courses in Emergency Preparedness and Disaster Mitigation utilising existing information policies procedures and directives available from numerous Government and other non-profit organisations. FEMA, DHS, the Red Cross and numerous other organisations all provide a mulititude of great(ok so it's more like passable, but follow me here) education to help the avarage citizen cope with Manmade Emergencies and  Natural Disasters. Combining and consolidating the information into a more usable and centralised learning program would be very helpful to the general public. Offering a grant to schools for at least partial coverage of the cost of the course and offering an academic cridit for the course would help to insure it's implimentation. The program could be implimented in verying degress of detail and depth to differing age groups of the young adults whom are the future leaders of our country. It would be a great benefit to our Nation as a whole as well as even the smallest communities from the standpoint of lessening some of the burden on already taxed Emergency Service Organisations. Possible topics of education in the syllabus could include:
*Preparing for Fires Floods and Winter Storm as well as Hurricanes and Tornadoes(obviously some information would be area dependant),
*Preparing for and implimenting procedures in case of Pandemic,
*Preparing for and implimenting procedures to mitigate casualties in the possibility of Nuclear, Biological, or Chemical attack against the public,
*Training in the use of a Fire Extinguisher and learning and Implimentation of Basic First Aid and CPR,
*Familiarization and interface with local Emergency Management Orginazations(Introduce students to Fire, Rescue, Police, and Public Works Departments)

K.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:50:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Where do I sign up? I would love to take such a course.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Based off of czechsix's thread HERE anyone want to help me tweak a proposal idea?..

i've got an idea i'd like to suggest but could use a hand in tweaking the "meat" of the idea as well as with spelling and grammar(sorry produt of poor public schooling). by reading what i've got so far i think most will be able to get the jest of what i'm going for here. all help and suggestions would be appriiated!..

now i definatelly do realise the fed. gov. getting off their ollective lazy ignorant asses and doing much that actully benefits the public is likely a far cry from reality, but if we all stop trying the war is definatelly lost so...

here's what i'm thinking and working with so far:

Develope a syllabus and provide a grant for Middle School High School and College level elective courses in Emergency Preparedness and Disaster Mitigation utilising existing information policies procedures and directives available from numerous Government and other non-profit organisations. FEMA, DHS, the Red Cross and numerous other organisations all provide a mulititude of great(ok so it's more like passable, but follow me here) education to help the avarage citizen cope with Manmade Emergencies and  Natural Disasters. Combining and consolidating the information into a more usable and centralised learning program would be very helpful to the general public. Offering a grant to schools for at least partial coverage of the cost of the course and offering an academic cridit for the course would help to insure it's implimentation. The program could be implimented in verying degress of detail and depth to differing age groups of the young adults whom are the future leaders of our country. It would be a great benefit to our Nation as a whole as well as even the smallest communities from the standpoint of lessening some of the burden on already taxed Emergency Service Organisations. Possible topics of education in the syllabus could include:
*Preparing for Fires Floods and Winter Storm as well as Hurricanes and Tornadoes(obviously some information would be area dependant),
*Preparing for and implimenting procedures in case of Pandemic,
*Preparing for and implimenting procedures to mitigate casualties in the possibility of Nuclear, Biological, or Chemical attack against the public,
*Training in the use of a Fire Extinguisher and learning and Implimentation of Basic First Aid and CPR,
*Familiarization and interface with local Emergency Management Orginazations(Introduce students to Fire, Rescue, Police, and Public Works Departments)

K.

I disagree with that section in red. Training kids to deal with local issues probably isn't needed; you can't grow up in New England without learning to shovel snow. Teaching people to deal with all manner of weather-induced disasters (rather than just what is local) would better server people later in life when they may move to a different part of the country.

EDIT: The rest looks good. If it was offered as an adult ed evening class, I'd sign up.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#3]
^^^^^
was thinking more about idaho folks prob not needing to deal with hurricane preps but i suppose you are correct, most folks could have to end up dealing with hurricanes or tornadoes and the to aren't that different in the grand scheme of things. good point!..

K.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
^^^^^
was thinking more about idaho folks prob not needing to deal with hurricane preps but i suppose you are correct, most folks could have to end up dealing with hurricanes or tornadoes and the to aren't that different in the grand scheme of things. good point!..

K.

I've lived most of my life in New England, though I spent four years in TN and went camping in OK a couple years ago.

In New England, I've seen 2 hurricanes in 23 years, both were minor. If we ever get hit by a good sized hurricane, the whole north east could be in a world of hurt very quickly. When Earl was on it's way up, I had no idea what to do to prepare, but I got lucky and Earl didn't do much damage.

When i was car-camping in OK, I had no idea what to do about the tornado warning. Hell, I still don't know what to do about tornado warnings.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:43:24 AM EDT
[#5]
For the bad weather information, a lot of local National Weather Service offices offer weather spotter training and there is some good info to see there...
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#6]
i don't see earthquakes, tsunamis or volcanic events or land/mudslides on your list of possible events.

while some areas don't have to worry about them, some areas don't have to worry about events you do cover.

people move, so it's a good idea to cover any possibility, because at a future date someone may need that info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top