Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2010 8:52:12 PM EDT
Anyone have experience with the ILBE rucks? Curious to see how they would perform for a 3-4 day hiking trip. I'm seriously looking into getting one for the right price, college has me on a low budget...
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are refering to the military issue ILBEs then I can tell you I am not a fan. I have humped an ILBE for too many miles and do not enjoy this pack at all. It has nice size and room for a lot but it is not comfortable on my back at all. (Our humps are done in body armor w/ combat loads)  however even without the gear I still do not like it. I am more a fan of the external framed packs. try some out and find one that fits best.

my $.02
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:43:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an Echo and a Charlie assault pack in coyote brown. The Echo is a good size for a 3-5 day trip, bomber construction, and good feature set.

When I used it though, it only ever got thrown in the back of a vehicle, and I would also question the comfort while wearing body armor.

Plus, I mostly just learned to use whatever they gave me, rather than use and abuse my hard-earned dollars.

If you like the MOLLE compatibility, and don't wear armor, then it might do just fine I bought mine specifically because it had the right features of a good civilian pack, and AT's reputation for solid construction, and it certainly had that going for it....but you say you are on a budget, and it is hella expensive new.

My recommendation? Buy a surplus MOLLE ruck and dye it if you don't prefer whatever camo scheme it comes with. They are quite comfortable without armor IMO, have a reasonable feature set and room, and the later gen frames are bomber (basically just ensure you don't get the early frames which had the QR socket thing on the frame and waist belt and you are good).

ETA: just in case, Echo and Charlie are the civilian-available equivalents of the ILBE rucks. Contract ILBE equipment is made by a couple DOD subs according to  Arc Teryx designs and specs, the civilian models are made in BC, Canada, by AT themselves (which goes a long way to explaining the price difference!).
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I'm def. not stylin' any body armor for a hiking trip, besides those bears tend to go for your face anyway...

Seems like anything and everything would suck if you were forced to march carrying any amount of heavy crap.

I'm just making sure the pack will do the job and last me some time, while maintaining a decent level of comfort. I went on a 3 day outdoor adventure in Kentucky carrying roughly 50-60lbs in a medium alice. While it worked, it still lacked features I now see (after my trip) to be of more importance. Like having some molle/pals straps, more compartments, bigger space, thicker straps, the ability to compress everything... I know I could go the mod way and make a malice pack or upgraded straps but I find that gear like that just gets annoying and always breaks when you need it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 10:00:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Had worn one for years at work daily. their better than the mole 2, their ok, they were pretty comftorable for me. However the extra one i had i gave away, and kepy my large ruck modified by SOE gear, now i like the alice packs the best.
Trust me just because its the latest issued  gear its not the greatest.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah I'm def. not stylin' any body armor for a hiking trip, besides those bears tend to go for your face anyway...

Seems like anything and everything would suck if you were forced to march carrying any amount of heavy crap.

I'm just making sure the pack will do the job and last me some time, while maintaining a decent level of comfort. I went on a 3 day outdoor adventure in Kentucky carrying roughly 50-60lbs in a medium alice. While it worked, it still lacked features I now see (after my trip) to be of more importance. Like having some molle/pals straps, more compartments, bigger space, thicker straps, the ability to compress everything... I know I could go the mod way and make a malice pack or upgraded straps but I find that gear like that just gets annoying and always breaks when you need it.

Well, if you want to spend the cash, there are ILBE's available on ebay, or the versions I mentioned directly from AT for a mint...but cheapest milspec route with good comfort is still a MOLLE, IMO. Also worth noticing many of the ILBEs on ebay have blown zippers or other defects. I don't know whether that is a user error (Joe can be very creative) or because the subs using the AT design are not doing something AT does in the construction.

I have heard for years that folks love their ALICE...and I never understood that at all...shitty frame, poorly balanced, shitty straps....just all around shitty.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I have heard for years that folks love their ALICE...and I never understood that at all...shitty frame, poorly balanced, shitty straps....just all around shitty.[/quote]

Their not to shitty if set up right. IMHO good bang for the buck, and i like the external frame, not for everyone but comfortable for me. Biggest improvement is aftermarket straps.

I personnaly wouldn't buy an ILBE, i would get a civilian backpack in a muted color and just get a pack cover for it if you need to be tactical.  Same with the sleeping system. Everyone has a fetish with the modular sleping system,  heavy,just like the ILBE.

The only reason i have my alice ruck is i bought it when we still were issued them, and hadded it modded by SOE back then. I am to cheap to buy a new pack right now, i use my extra cash to buy ammo to train with.
If i had to buy a pack i would get a mystery ranch http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.3945/.f?sc=11&category=8 pack
something along these lines

But in typical ARF fashion get both........lol

i heard a phrase once"pack heavy be hot and sweaty, pack light freeze at night"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top