Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2014 4:20:43 PM EDT
Can anyone ID what this is on the trunk of my Grapefruit tree and offer any advice on a remedy ?? Insect eggs maybe ?? Seems to have just popped up in the last week or so. Local Extension office has not yet responded. I figured with all the knowledge on this forum I would get better answers anyway.

Any help is greatly appreciated guys. Thanks

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 7:34:38 PM EDT
That may be a coral spot fungus. Check out the following and see what you think:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nectria

Did your tree take some cold damage this winter? This may be a sign of underlying problems.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:21:07 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By red_on_black:
That may be a coral spot fungus. Check out the following and see what you think:

Did your tree take some cold damage this winter? This may be a sign of underlying problems.

View Quote

Thanks Red - and yes it took some major damage. Lost about 60% of the tree. All the dead damaged parts were cut away this spring and now this pops up.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:34:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By HD357:

Thanks Red - and yes it took some major damage. Lost about 60% of the tree. All the dead damaged parts were cut away this spring and now this pops up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You must be north of us because we planted three trees last year and have no problems with them.
I'm suprised we don't because of the winter we had.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 11:09:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Dimmu:

You must be north of us because we planted three trees last year and have no problems with them.
View All Quotes

I'm kinda SW of Mobile. As the crow flies about 20 miles north of the Gulf and 3 rock throws to Mississippi. We had some temps down to 12 deg for about a week. The tree is 10 yrs old and taller than my house. This winter the leaves turned white and fell off - that has never happened.

Red you were 'spot on' - no pun intended. County guy just left here - Coral Spot Fungus. Cut the tree down and burn it.

Thanks for the help guys. Damn I hate to lose this tree.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 11:15:29 AM EDT

I'm kinda SW of Mobile. As the crow flies about 20 miles north of the Gulf and 3 rock throws to Mississippi. We had some temps down to 12 deg for about a week. The tree is 10 yrs old and taller than my house. This winter the leaves turned white and fell off - that has never happened.

Red you were 'spot on' - no pun intended. County guy just left here - Coral Spot Fungus. Cut the tree down and burn it.

View All Quotes

That sucks about the tree.
I'm also surprised you are south of me.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 11:20:28 AM EDT

View Quote

Man, I'm sorry to hear that. I hate losing a good tree.

I may be moving down to Mobile the first of August. It's still up in the air, but there's a good chance I'll be coming down to USA.

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 4:03:34 AM EDT

I may be moving down to Mobile the first of August. It's still up in the air, but there's a good chance I'll be coming down to USA.

View All Quotes

Outstanding. If I can help out with anything on this end let me know.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 6:20:16 PM EDT
Did he tell you to cut the entire tree down or just the affected branches?
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 1:43:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By delicious_bass:
View Quote

The entire tree. Almost all of the limbs were dead from the harsh winter and pruned back in the spring. Basically all I have is a 12' tall trunk with new growth but the fungus has enveloped the entire trunk from the ground up to about 6' or so.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 5:06:49 PM EDT

The entire tree. Almost all of the limbs were dead from the harsh winter and pruned back in the spring. Basically all I have is a 12' tall trunk with new growth but the fungus has enveloped the entire trunk from the ground up to about 6' or so.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By delicious_bass:

That sounds pretty bad. I could not tell from the photos.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:14:52 AM EDT
We lost a satsuma due to the freeze this year. It was only 6 years old but it had just begun to produce pretty good last year. We were hoping to see it perform real well this year, but it is gone. :(

We are only 15 minutes from the Florida line so we are futher south too.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:40:52 AM EDT
Any chance spraying with copper fungicide helps ?

I use Bonide copper fungicide on my tomatoes to kill tomato blight which i understand is a fungus. It works well. Maybe try it to save the tree ?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:18:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By chrisp929:
Any chance spraying with copper fungicide helps ?

I use Bonide copper fungicide on my tomatoes to kill tomato blight which i understand is a fungus. It works well. Maybe try it to save the tree ?
View Quote

Neg. Agent said if it was just on the outer limbs the tree might survive after being sprayed with a copper solution - but once it gets to the point where the trunk is covered in this it will not survive. He did say to still spray it with the copper solution to kill the fungus - spray the ground 5' around the tree - wait one week to cut it down and then burn it. Must be some really bad stuff - do not use for mulch or compost - just burn it.

Thanks for the name of Bonide - I had no idea what to look for. Life goes on - I'll just plant another one.
Top Top