Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2013 8:08:25 AM EST
Does anykne know how, exactly, this was accomplished?
I didn't think the 7200 had an IF output. Couldn't find any info about this setup online and the video is...well...less than self-explanatory.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:37:15 PM EST
That's pretty cool!

(I'm still studying for my license, so all this ham stuff is cool, but spectrum display is really cool.)

Joe
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:01:38 AM EST
I dunno how he did it, but that's cool as heck.

He mentions down in the comments section:

"alexdavydofMar 23, 2012
Hi! I do not use additional devices. ic-7200 is? synchronized with a? HDSDR via omnirig. Works great on one antenna in parallel. Sync works better via SDR_navigator. 73!"

I found this: http://www.dxatlas.com/OmniRig/
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:12:03 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:16:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2013 4:17:09 AM EST by aa777888-2]
I'm pretty sure what this guy is doing is using an SDR radio and a 7200 together, in other words, no, you can't do this with a 7200 alone. What he appears to be excited about showing off in the youtube video is the ability to have the tuning of the 7200 drive the tuning of the SDR using Omnirig and HDSDR together. This is indeed a great way to go about the problem of instantly and conveniently transmitting back to a station that you have tuned in on the SDR.

I know that PowerSDR also has a similar feature, but I believe that one has the transmitting radio track the SDR, which, quite frankly, makes the most sense to me as the transmitting radio is almost an afterthought compared to the SDR receiver and software.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:56:06 AM EST
I know VE4NSA configured his IC-7600 to work with a SDR dongle. I thought about trying this, but didn't want to take the chance on messing up my rig.

Not sure if it's even relevant to the IC-7200, but if you want the PDF instructions let me know as only place I can find them is in the 7600 Yahoo group.

Here is a video of VE4NSA using SDR with his 7600.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:07:57 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2013 8:10:31 AM EST by raysheen]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By aa777888-2:
I'm pretty sure what this guy is doing is using an SDR radio and a 7200 together, in other words, no, you can't do this with a 7200 alone. What he appears to be excited about showing off in the youtube video is the ability to have the tuning of the 7200 drive the tuning of the SDR using Omnirig and HDSDR together. This is indeed a great way to go about the problem of instantly and conveniently transmitting back to a station that you have tuned in on the SDR.

I know that PowerSDR also has a similar feature, but I believe that one has the transmitting radio track the SDR, which, quite frankly, makes the most sense to me as the transmitting radio is almost an afterthought compared to the SDR receiver and software.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By aa777888-2:

I think you are right. After looking around, it seems that there have been a few people using an SDR dongle along side of their main rig so accomplish just this very setup.

Originally Posted By DirtNasty:
I know VE4NSA configured his IC-7600 to work with a SDR dongle. I thought about trying this, but didn't want to take the chance on messing up my rig.

Not sure if it's even relevant to the IC-7200, but if you want the PDF instructions let me know as only place I can find them is in the 7600 Yahoo group.

Here is a video of VE4NSA using SDR with his 7600.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vdUPoAy2ZQ

Interesting thanks! I won't be jumping into this anytime soon, but do think it would be a fun project at some point.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:37:57 PM EST
Oh well. I should have known there wasn't any free lunch. For a minute there, I thought an IC-7200 could go all matrix and stuff with just some kind of cable.LOL
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:11:53 AM EST
There is a USB port on the back of the 7200 you can hook it up to a PC and with HRD and some other software you can control the radio and do things like RTTY/PSK31 etc digital modes I have played with it monitoring PSK but not transmitting yet. It also give you your spectrum/waterfall display I have not had too much time to fool around with it yet but there seems like a lot of cool features to be explored.
Top Top