Looks very nice!
View Quote

In the words of Derek45:

ARFCOM Loves brush guards on radios

Link Posted: 6/29/2021 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My Portable Zero order arrived yesterday, and I installed the side pieces. The pieces were quite nicely made. All edges and corners were rounded off, and there were no burrs or anything like that. The powdercoat appears evenly applied, as far as I can tell. Most surprising was that the holes through which the mounting screws go, lined up perfectly with the receiving holes in the 7300. When the screws are put through (there is also a rubber washer between the guard and the 7300) there is no slop, nor do you need to apply any force to get the screw to where the threads catch. I also got the clip-on handle. Setting aside the notion of need for these things on a base station, these are high quality parts.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-ZrKxFg3/0/a8c50f78/XL/i-ZrKxFg3-XL.jpg
View Quote

Good report. I ordered the same set after you posted the link. Field day gave me the bug to do some POTA or something.

Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:20:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

My Portable Zero order arrived yesterday, and I installed the side pieces. The pieces were quite nicely made. All edges and corners were rounded off, and there were no burrs or anything like that. The powdercoat appears evenly applied, as far as I can tell. Most surprising was that the holes through which the mounting screws go, lined up perfectly with the receiving holes in the 7300. When the screws are put through (there is also a rubber washer between the guard and the 7300) there is no slop, nor do you need to apply any force to get the screw to where the threads catch. I also got the clip-on handle. Setting aside the notion of need for these things on a base station, these are high quality parts.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-ZrKxFg3/0/a8c50f78/XL/i-ZrKxFg3-XL.jpg
View Quote

Have those rails on my 891 due to it riding in a bag with other stuff and was worried about the knobs being damaged by stuff rubbing or putting resume on them.  Quality stuff.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 10:03:37 AM EDT
[#5]
HRO is selling the 7300 for $1099.95 and then there is a mail-in rebate for $100, making the final price $999.95. HRO sez: "Take advantage of this deal and get it shipped as soon as they are in stock for $999.95 after mail-in-rebate!"

If it is like the rebate I got on mine, you can do it all online.

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/ico-ic-7300
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got an email from gigaparts the 7300 is in stock again.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 1:34:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I never did get my damn rebate.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:47:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

You should be able to see it here: https://rapid-rebates.com/icompromotions
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:48:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just got an email from gigaparts the 7300 is in stock again.
View Quote

For $100 more than HRO.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I submitted min in Dec. And received it in April....
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 12:56:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I've checked the rebate status many times and it always says the same thing:

Current Status:We have received your claim and it is currently being processed. Please allow up to 10 weeks from the date your claim was received.

It has been 17 weeks since I received confirmation of product registration.

Link Posted: 7/8/2021 3:42:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I too had given up all hope only to find a check in my mailbox one day.  
No dates sorry.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 5:52:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Current Status:We have received your claim and it is currently being processed. Please allow up to 10 weeks from the date your claim was received.

View Quote

Have you tried asking via the Contact Us form on the page where you put in last name, street number and zip?
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 8:27:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Odd, I want to say I got a rebate in the form of a credit card in the mail in about six weeks.  It promptly was used at DXE.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In the words of Derek45:

ARFCOM Loves brush guards on radios

View Quote

[ ricky bobby ] we love the brush guards

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 4:15:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Have you tried asking via the Contact Us form on the page where you put in last name, street number and zip?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

20 weeks and counting.  And, yes, I did ask using their contact form.  Have yet to receive a reply of any kind.

Link Posted: 7/28/2021 6:12:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

20 weeks and counting.  And, yes, I did ask using their contact form.  Have yet to receive a reply of any kind.

View Quote

Maybe contact Icom directly? Wish I knew the best thing to do.

---

In other news, Icom released version 1.41 of IC-7300 firmware 7/9/2021.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#18]
https://www.rapid-rebates.com/tracking/Content/NewSearch.aspx

Icom does not handle the rebates, a third party does. Above is the link to check if the fulfillment center has even received your rebate request.  

My guess it's sitting in a bag of unsorted/undelivered US Mail someplace.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I literally used the search function for this thread yesterday and it didn't come up. odd

Anyway, I just got my IC-7300 last week and have been using it in the RV. Any tips on how to make it not sound like ass? It sounds really harsh compared to my Yaesu's...
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I have nothing to compare it with, but I thought my IC-7300 sounded fine.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have nothing to compare it with, but I thought my IC-7300 sounded fine.
View Quote

No, it really doesn't sound good compared to other radios.  It sounds like a $1000 radio with a $1 speaker.  I use a headset most of the time so I don't notice it but I can't stand the tinny sound when I have to listen to the factory speaker.  A good quality external speaker helps a lot.  There are also bass and treble adjustments in the menu that you can make that help some.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Interesting. I also (with no basis of comparison) thought my 7300 sounded ok. I will have to plug in an external speaker and see what that sounds like. There is an external speaker jack on the back of the radio that accepts a 1/8" (3.5mm) plug. Plugging something into that jack silences the internal speaker, according to the manual.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Interesting. I also (with no basis of comparison) thought my 7300 sounded ok. I will have to plug in an external speaker and see what that sounds like. There is an external speaker jack on the back of the radio that accepts a 1/8" (3.5mm) plug. Plugging something into that jack silences the internal speaker, according to the manual.
View Quote

Why for are you reading manuals?
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 5:03:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

The manual is correct, it does.  Plugging headphones into the front jack silences the internal speaker as well.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Why for are you reading manuals?
View Quote

I'm stupid like that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I did get an external speaker for my 7300, and it definitely improves the sound. However, I did not buy a plain speaker, I bought the West Mountain CLR/spkr or whatever it is called. It has adjustable noise reduction circuitry in it, designed to help cut some of the noise. See thread here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/West-Mountain-DSP-Speaker/22-700742/

It comes with a cord that plugs right into the 7300's external speaker jack on the back of the radio, and a power cord with powerpole connectors on the other end, so it plugged right into my DC distribution panel, which was nice.

I would say that it is an improvement over the fidelity of the 7300's speaker, and the noise reduction circuitry definitely helps reduce noise better than just the 7300 alone can.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm posting this to disprove the myth that IC-7300 comes with a Heil element in it's microphone. I asked Bob Heil himself yesterday and he said Heil had nothing to do with Icom microphones. I learned quite a bit from Bob. He is quite a guy. Very passionate and knowledgeable.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 8:23:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm posting this to disprove the myth that IC-7300 comes with a Heil element in it's microphone. I asked Bob Heil himself yesterday and he said Heil had nothing to do with Icom microphones. I learned quite a bit from Bob. He is quite a guy. Very passionate and knowledgeable.
View Quote

I guess there is a lot of bad info out there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 6:20:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Some say the battery that runs the clock can fail. Here is how to replace it: https://sp3rnz.blogspot.com/2020/04/ic-7300-memory-battery-replacement.html
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#30]
BTW I did mention in my thread on expanding my station with an amp and having my key used to tune with doing dits on its own like a keyer.  I would hold down the key and get dits instead of a steady tone.  No need to beat on the relay contacts in the amp.  Not to mention the click clack was annoying and the meter needles stayed in motion.

I did fix it.  

hit CW mode, then menu, then keyer in the center.  Where I got lost was you hit Edit/set in the lower keyer memory slots.  Its not just for editing the keyer slots, you also find the option to switch key types there, mine was on keyer iirc and I switched to straight key.

RTTY carrier works as well as the straight key and that was my alternate back up method in my confusion.  

A see spot run issue if you read the manual.   Or in my case needed to reread the manual.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I just bought a new IC-7300.

Is there any way without turning it on, to find the production date and / or the firmware installed?

I'm sure where to look or what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Not sure but I bet a call to Icom with the SN off the box would get you the answer,  

I know you said you didn’t want to plug it in but really that is all you have to do.  No wires needed beyond power.  

I have the 1.40 I updated into it.   There is a 1.41 update but it has nothing I need and there was one guy posting it malfunctioned the audio in his FT8 setup.  Shut off the audio early uncommanded I guess. His fix was to revert to his 1.40 saved.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 1:15:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Not sure but I bet a call to Icom with the SN off the box would get you the answer,  

I know you said you didn’t want to plug it in but really that is all you have to do.  No wires needed beyond power.  

I have the 1.40 I updated into it.   There is a 1.41 update but it has nothing I need and there was one guy posting it malfunctioned the audio in his FT8 setup.  Shut off the audio early uncommanded I guess. His fix was to revert to his 1.40 saved.
View Quote

Yep, right now I'm caring for my mother and don't have much time to mess with it.

My last radio had a 6 pin connector, IC-718 and I have a spare cable, but the 4 pin IC-7300 power cable needs some connectors.

I might get it going this afternoon.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#34]
I bought my IC-7300 in September and they say to receive the $100 rebate from last month, they need my rebate application by the end of October.

The only receipt I have is an email from Ham Radio Outlet and they need a pic of the serial number and bar code (?) I think from the box.

Has anybody had any luck with the Icom rebates?

How strict is the wording on the application?

It wants the dealer's name and address.

With an Internet purchase and Ham Radio Outlet having several retail locations, I'm not sure which address to use and Ham Radio Outlet uses a slightly different name for the Internet sales.

I'm not sure if the company handling their rebates will accept a casually written application.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 1:43:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Congratulations on a fine radio! I bought my IC-7300  from the same place, and I just took a screenshot of the receipt that HRO emailed me. The rebate took forever to arrive. Easily 10 weeks plus.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yep, right now I'm caring for my mother and don't have much time to mess with it.

My last radio had a 6 pin connector, IC-718 and I have a spare cable, but the 4 pin IC-7300 power cable needs some connectors.

I might get it going this afternoon.
View Quote

Right, the 7300 comes with a power cord that plugs into the back of the radio. All you need to do is take the red (+) wire and black (-) wire from that and attach them to your DC power source.

ETA: I also bought mine from HRO and filled in the rebate info online. I don't know what "casual" means in this context, but if you supply what they ask for, you will eventually get the rebate.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I bought my IC-7300 in September and they say to receive the $100 rebate from last month, they need my rebate application by the end of October.

The only receipt I have is an email from Ham Radio Outlet and they need a pic of the serial number and bar code (?) I think from the box.

Has anybody had any luck with the Icom rebates?

How strict is the wording on the application?

It wants the dealer's name and address.

With an Internet purchase and Ham Radio Outlet having several retail locations, I'm not sure which address to use and Ham Radio Outlet uses a slightly different name for the Internet sales.

I'm not sure if the company handling their rebates will accept a casually written application.
View Quote
I bought my IC-7300 online from HRO back in March.  Filled out the form, sent the pictures they wanted, all that.

I still haven't received a rebate and probably never will.  I've emailed the company handling the rebates for Icom twice and never received a reply.  You would think they would at least tell me that my application was incorrect/incomplete or something.  Not one fucking word.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I bought my IC-7300 online from HRO back in March.  Filled out the form, sent the pictures they wanted, all that.

I still haven't received a rebate and probably never will.  I've emailed the company handling the rebates for Icom twice and never received a reply.  You would think they would at least tell me that my application was incorrect/incomplete or something.  Not one fucking word.

Good luck.
View Quote

Yep, exact same experience for me. Next radio will be a Yeasu.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#39]
That stinks.   I bought mine from DXE and got my rebate in about a month iirc,.....and promptly reinvested it at DXE.

There was a link to the rebate from DXe, take pic of sales form and I think pic of sn on box.

You want rebate fuckery  try getting a rebate from Remington ammo promos.  Federal eventually sent those rotten fake CC that wouldn’t work in most places.   hornady was another joke on the box of free bullets with a die set purchase.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That stinks.   I bought mine from DXE and got my rebate in about a month iirc,.....and promptly reinvested it at DXE.

There was a link to the rebate from DXe, take pic of sales form and I think pic of sn on box.

You want rebate fuckery  try getting a rebate from Remington ammo promos.  Federal eventually sent those rotten fake CC that wouldn't work in most places.   hornady was another joke on the box of free bullets with a die set purchase.
View Quote
Don't even get me started on Federal/Vista. Those bastards owe me a lot in rebates. Hundreds of dollars.

Icom paid. On my 7300, 5100 and 2730.

Link Posted: 10/5/2021 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Good luck.
View Quote

Didn't they require the original code (from the IC-7300 box) cut out and mailed with a copy of sales receipt?

Either way, rebates can be a pain. This is why they do this. Many people forget or screw up and send wrong items. More money for the manufacturer. It doesn't matter if you buy Icom, Yeasu or Kenwood.

Rebate for my FTDX3000 somehow got lost or never delivered to them. I never received the refund. They have no records of receiving it. BY then it was too late to submit it again. I just said - F it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I literally used the search function for this thread yesterday and it didn't come up. odd

Anyway, I just got my IC-7300 last week and have been using it in the RV. Any tips on how to make it not sound like ass? It sounds really harsh compared to my Yaesu's...
View Quote

I doubt an Icom will ever sound as good as a Yaesu but a good external speaker is a must with any radio (Yaesu or Icom). I've been using a Klipsch center channel speaker. Got it used on Ebay. It sounds fantastic.
For working as a NCS or handling a pile-up, I use a Heil headset with a Phasing switch. You can't beat it! Full range Heil element also sounds great with the Icom, as long as a Heil adapter is used (or a home made adapter with a DC blocking capacitor).

Also, make sure your narrow RX filters are not being used. Set it to wide (100 Hz to 3000 Hz) and use RX equalizer as necessary (in the settings).
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm going to try my new IC-7300 tonight.

I'm getting ready to sell the house and took down the last HF antenna I had up, but I've got some mobile antennas and enough parts for attic antenna short term.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 11:56:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm going to try my new IC-7300 tonight.

I'm getting ready to sell the house and took down the last HF antenna I had up, but I've got some mobile antennas and enough parts for attic antenna short term.
View Quote

How'd it go?
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Some say the battery that runs the clock can fail. Here is how to replace it: https://sp3rnz.blogspot.com/2020/04/ic-7300-memory-battery-replacement.html
View Quote

Tne 7300 has an internal clock battery???
You learn something new every day. My clock has always reset to zero when powered down -- right from the git-go.
Meh, too much trouble. I never use it anyway so I'll just leave it as it is.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Okay, I finally got my IC-7300 hooked up and switched on.

I bought a couple of months ago.

I was hoping it had the latest 1.41 firmware, but the display shows 1.40.

How risky is updating the firmware?

What is the easiest or most reliable method to update the firmware?

I use Linux, not Windows, so I think I can download the firearm to some sort of memory card and update, or maybe through USB, but from Linux I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't work.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I use Linux, not Windows, so I think I can download the firearm to some sort of memory card and update, or maybe through USB, but from Linux I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't work.
View Quote

I've updated mine and it has been no problem.

Here is DX Engineering's video on how to do it. The manual also has the process.

Updating Firmware on the Icom IC-7300
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Here is DX Engineering's video on how to do it. The manual also has the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TliiV72KSlQ
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TliiV72KSlQ

Thanks, I'll give it a try after I get through the manual and figure out if I have an SD card that will work.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to speed up the VFO stepping.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Sorry, I am new at all of this. What is VFO stepping? If that means how far the tuning changes for each little movement of the tuning knob, tap the touch screen on the number you wish it to move by.

So, if you are on 14.235 and you tap the 3, it will move by .01 each time. Tap the 5, and it will move by .001, and so forth. Apologies if that is not what you meant.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Sorry, I am new at all of this. What is VFO stepping? If that means how far the tuning changes for each little movement of the tuning knob, tap the touch screen on the number you wish it to move by.

So, if you are on 14.235 and you tap the 3, it will move by .01 each time. Tap the 5, and it will move by .001, and so forth. Apologies if that is not what you meant.
View Quote

Yes, on my old Icom, it had a button for setting the VFO steps, 1.00, 0.10, 0.01, etc.

The speed of the VFO, normally called stepping.

Okay, this keypad with numbers is on the touch screen?

With, "tap" I take it, it is the touch screen display.

I'll search for it now.

Thanks, :).

Oh, I see now!

Tap the numbers of the frequency display.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top