Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2015 4:24:27 PM EDT
Wife got me one. I'm wanting to use it for hunting this season, not just deer hunting either. I know gopro makes the sportsman mount that attaches to the gun/fishing rod, but if I'm in the deer stand, I want the camera to capture the woods, not just where the barrel is pointing. So I'm guessing the head or chest mount is the way to do it.

Any insight?
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a contour HD. Tried a head mount, actually a hat clip mount thing but you get the idea.. It's OK but you have to play with the aiming. Once you've got it on try some test shots at the range. When I mount the gun my head turns slightly to my non-dominate side.Threw the whole thing off. Was pretty difficult to keep things in frame. Recoil screws you up too.

I ended up putting it in a mount that screwed into the wood on my stand. I point it in the most likely direction.
If something showed up, it was likely not in frame but where I hunt, I'm mostly less than 50yd from when I see anything. No real time to twist the camera or worry about it.
I've though about using the wife's video cam since it has a tripod mount and a remote. I can go wide to catch it and if there is time twist it into frame and zoom. And it's a much better camera.
Like most things I think it's about prep work.
I have one movie with a good shot. It's really crappy video but I can remember it the way it was. I'll keep trying but if you do use it, post a video and drop some knowledge on me so I can get it right.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a couple trail cameras set up to take video.

I got footage of my arrow going into a deer a few years ago.

I also use the iKam.  Works pretty good... when I remember to turn them on.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#3]
You're going to find that it's not all that cool for hunting.  Your target is going to be this tiny little spec off in one corner of the frame.  All my turkey videos are "so where's the bird?" when I show them to people.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a GoPro Hero 2 with a headband mount for archery - works great. You can set it to silent so the deer won't hear a thing.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:06:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Strap it to the tree about an arm's length above your head.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll try to rig something up for it. I'll be taking it fishing next week down in FL, and I'll be trying both the chest and head rig.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 10:03:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I mount mine to my scope or my head. I have noise canceling earmuffs that I stuck the mount to.  Personally unless your bow hunting, go pro/contour/whatever suck. I shot my deer at about 40yds with my muzzle loader last year, and it looks like I made an nice 70 yard shot. Like I said, if I'd been bow hunting it would have been a perfect view, but I still suggest using a head mount, and practicing with the angle. I found out after a pig hunt that I had it too far center, so when I would pull up for the shot, you got a nice view of the muzzle brake and about twenty feet out until I would look up from the shot.

If you are going to hunt with a camera, treat it like any of your other equipment and practice with it so you don't get disappointed. Test it in different shadows and lighting to make sure you settings are GTG, make sure your mount doesn't interfere with your shooting, and that  you can turn it on easily.  I missed filming my buck I shot on a hunt in Kansas because of buck fever. Had everything set up at dusk, and an average 8 point walked out and I practiced my shot, as I was scanning further, I saw my chocolate horns, and pulled up and shot without turning the camera on.

Here is mine with the contour mounted on it. The go pro is offset because it doesn't have an adjustable lens like the contour.

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 11:16:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Update, one thing I've done is get an 1/4" dia aluminum rod from Lowes, cut it down to about 18 inches or so, and threaded the end to 1/4x20.  Paint it olive drab.

Now you can mount anything that's got female camera tripod threads, and just chunk it in the ground where you want.

But all my hunting videos are still that tiny spec off in the corner of the frame.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I watch every hunting vid on youtube I can get my hands on. None of the vids filmed with a go pro are worth watching. None.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a head mount for mine. I had a very close encounter with a black bear a few years ago and swore to always have a video camera in the woods.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top