Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2015 8:18:13 AM EDT
Went with me dad and cousin on a trip Thursday-Sunday and had a blast.

Dad Killed this 8 the first morning I saw 2 bucks, 3 does

Field I watched first evening. See Bobcat laying in the field

This was my first ever Bobcat 20 pounds

Cousin killed this 8 same time I killed cat

My knife slipped while skinning the cat and it was bad

looking better

Good Food

Found this guy the next day, long time dream of mine

Last morning setup

Link Posted: 10/26/2015 8:29:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Someone wasn't following knife safety if you gash your thigh lol.

Looks like a good trip otherwise, and your gash could use two stitches it seems.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 4:18:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Well done! Prairie rattler?
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice pics... beautifully buzztail. You followed the main rule with the snake... get them before they get you!

Hope you got that cut well cleaned... especially if the blade had been in the Bobcat 1st.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Timber rattler.  Black tail, and he likely has yellow eyes too that you can't see in the pic.  They are tough to find when you hear the rattles and they are laid up under a bunch of freaking pine needles!

Then I moved near Austin where we have the prairie rattlers, and a crap ton more of them.  IMO, they are easier to find when you hear them, but I hate them all just the same.  I sometimes scream like a girl when I walk up on them.  

Good shoot(s), Nice battle scar!
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Ouch
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Timber rattler.  Black tail, and he likely has yellow eyes too that you can't see in the pic.  They are tough to find when you hear the rattles and they are laid up under a bunch of freaking pine needles!

Then I moved near Austin where we have the prairie rattlers, and a crap ton more of them.  IMO, they are easier to find when you hear them, but I hate them all just the same.  I sometimes scream like a girl when I walk up on them.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

All we have in these parts(that i have seen) are the diamondbacks. Better off dead, the lot of them. I'll keep my bull snakes.

Link Posted: 10/27/2015 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#8]
That's a nice Remington, what caliber?
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 12:35:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's a nice Remington, what caliber?
View Quote

thank you it's a 270 win mountain rifle
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Don't see any obvious bullet hole on the snake.
Did you shoot the snake with birdshot round?
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

yes, the airweight is not my primary handgun, it stays loaded when on this property with rat shot just for snakes, very effective.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

yes, the airweight is not my primary handgun, it stays loaded when on this property with rat shot just for snakes, very effective.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I'm out at the farm I carry the same revolver loaded with 2 shotshells followed by 3 SWC loads on my belt for the same reason as you.  
Last Saturday I put rounds of 2 shotshells at the head of this 5' 3" Eastern Diamondback from 5 feet and it didn't kill it.  My friend shot it behind the head with 308 to kill it...I followed up with 2 rounds of SWC load from the revolver.  We were less than 6 feet away and it never rattled...just sat there quietly.

Few months ago I took one shot at the head of a 4' moccasin with the shotshell from about 5' and it killed the snake instantly.  

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#13]
What kind of snake is that one?
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:09:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I see the rattlers but the other one is my question.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Fields are looking good.  We've only had rain the past two weekends, but grass is coming up.  Youth season starts Saturday, but it's more rain.  Bummer.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#16]
They don't always rattle, but I've heard that they're evolving to rattle less because it attracts pigs to them. I should see if there is any research on this theory...
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:21:59 PM EDT
[#17]
is it a cottonmouth(water moccasin)?
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice!
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
is it a cottonmouth(water moccasin)?
View Quote

Yes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top