Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2013 12:54:35 AM EDT
Can you just pick any channel you want and make sure everyone tunes into that specific channel/freq during an emergency?  Obviously I wouldn't pick an emergency frequency, but is every other frequency open to use (monitor & transmit) during an emergency?

Is there a way to pick one that doesn't have a lot of other traffic on it?
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 12:57:12 AM EDT
[#1]
You would probably pick one of the simplex frequencies. Depending on the band there is a set aside group of freqs.

In a true shtf situation, using an arbitrary frequency that doesn't have any traffic on it and just using simplex would also work. This is generally not a great idea and there is the whole problem with communicating that particular freq to your other end of the party.

Link Posted: 7/12/2013 4:38:03 AM EDT
[#2]
What kind of distances are we talking about?  Does everyone have amateur radio licenses?
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 5:08:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Can you just pick any channel you want and make sure everyone tunes into that specific channel/freq during an emergency?  Obviously I wouldn't pick an emergency frequency, but is every other frequency open to use (monitor & transmit) during an emergency?

Are you talking about a general emergency, i.e. a flood, tornado, or some such? find the ARES/RACES frequency and use that. Using V/UHF, select a popular repeater, lock into memory and you are GTG. There's almost always someone monitoring a repeater, especially if it is owned by a RACES/ARES or other emergency club.

If you are talking about getting together with your bugout group, select a channel and lock it into your transciever. Everyone goes to that frequency when SHTF.
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 6:56:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

HF?  VHF/UHF?

Quoted:

1st rule of amateur radio: listen first.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 7/12/2013 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I assume you are talking about VHF/UHF and everyone is licensed. Find a clear simplex frequency in your area and use it. Have a backup freq, just in case..
Obviously 146.520 is not the best choice.
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 11:28:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I assume you are talking about VHF/UHF and everyone is licensed. Find a clear simplex frequency in your area and use it. Have a backup freq, just in case..

I dunno...520 is a clear channel around here....
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Hey thats my favorite simplex freq!!!
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 10:19:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Have several backup frequencies.  Have them programmed in as channels, in order of preference, and in a number range easy to remember.  For example, channel slots 100-110, and name them, FAMLY1, FAMLY2, FAMLY3, etc.  or whatever.   Set up all radios identically, or as much as possible.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 11:01:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So what type of radios are you using?  

Are you planning on utilizing Ham freqs-is everyone licensed?

Link Posted: 7/13/2013 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#10]

" Breaker Breaker make me a sammich woman"

" yes dear.....uh,,,, I mean,...10-4 dear"

Link Posted: 7/13/2013 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

145.56 is good :)
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

" Breaker Breaker make me a sammich woman"

" yes dear.....uh,,,, I mean,...10-4 dear"

http://www.csindy.com/binary/bc33/1313426594-cb-radio.jpeg

I just bought that on Ebay-$0.99
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281135729602

I had to have it, absolutely had to have it

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 1:10:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I built my first dipole from this:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Dummys-Guide-C-B-Radio/dp/B000YC1238
I still have it. :)

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I do some deep woods hiking, as in leaving the trail and hiking cross country to very rugged and remote places.  This is the reason I got into ham radio, as I’m not particularly social.  I had the same problem you describe.  Even when I had a prearranged plan with a friend to listen on a certain repeater, it never worked.  People forget, get busy, or the signal to the repeater sucks.  My hiking ham friends all had the same experience.

How did we solve this?

We gave up on prearranged plans and created a common email account.  It works like this- We find it’s difficult or impossible to reach a specific person, however, it is easy to reach some person.  We have an email account set up with gmail that forwards anything that arrives in the inbox to the dozen or so friends in the group.  So if I’m out in the woods and want to send an all’s-well message, all I have to do is CQ on 52 or raise someone on any repeater.  They, if they’re willing, will send my message to the email account which will automatically forward it to the group members.  With smart phone technology my wife will get the email within seconds, wherever she is.  Distance is no object!

We’ve used this only a few times but it works fantastic.  A side benefit is that you may well make a few strangers into friends.  It’s been my experience that other hams are more than willing to help.  

This isn’t our email, but you could create a free account on gmail something like hamfriends@gmail or hamshelp@gmail.  It only needs to be easy to hear over the radio and easy to spell.  Everyone in our group has the account password so any of us can go in and clear out any spam or perform maintenance.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do some deep woods hiking, as in leaving the trail and hiking cross country to very rugged and remote places.  This is the reason I got into ham radio, as I’m not particularly social.  I had the same problem you describe.  Even when I had a prearranged plan with a friend to listen on a certain repeater, it never worked.  People forget, get busy, or the signal to the repeater sucks.  My hiking ham friends all had the same experience.

How did we solve this?

We gave up on prearranged plans and created a common email account.  It works like this- We find it’s difficult or impossible to reach a specific person, however, it is easy to reach some person.  We have an email account set up with gmail that forwards anything that arrives in the inbox to the dozen or so friends in the group.  So if I’m out in the woods and want to send an all’s-well message, all I have to do is CQ on 52 or raise someone on any repeater.  They, if they’re willing, will send my message to the email account which will automatically forward it to the group members.  With smart phone technology my wife will get the email within seconds, wherever she is.  Distance is no object!

We’ve used this only a few times but it works fantastic.  A side benefit is that you may well make a few strangers into friends.  It’s been my experience that other hams are more than willing to help.  

This isn’t our email, but you could create a free account on gmail something like hamfriends@gmail or hamshelp@gmail.  It only needs to be easy to hear over the radio and easy to spell.  Everyone in our group has the account password so any of us can go in and clear out any spam or perform maintenance.
View Quote

This is a great idea!  BTW, I have the same hobby in the same state.  Usually off trail in places where they would never find the body if something went wrong.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is a great idea!  BTW, I have the same hobby in the same state.  Usually off trail in places where they would never find the body if something went wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did we solve this?

I had a close call a couple years ago heading into the Wonder Mtn Wilderness.  I went in on a Saturday and was supposed to come out on Monday morning.  After getting a late start I encountered snow at a critical point.  I wasn't equipped for snow but pressed ahead.  My biggest fear when wearing the heavy pack in steep terrain is the uncontrolled tumble.  Yup.  I tumbled end-over-end about 50' almost straight down, and landed in a sitting position in the snow.  By God's grace I wasn't injured.  If I had been immobilized it would have been Tuesday at the earliest before anyone would start looking.  That would have meant three days at the bottom of a draw.....waiting....

I didn't get in to the Wilderness that year.  I'm not even sure I would have been able to contact anyone given the terrain, but with a roll-up dual band slim-jim antenna I had a few options at least.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#17]
How about using the frequency nobody else is talking on?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top