Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2010 12:51:59 PM EDT
I was out on my new property few days ago to see if I could find any game on it.  
There was nothing out front but when I went all the way to the back end of the property I could see some pig prints.
They seem to be coming from the woods beyond the levy and going to a nearby orange grove and they are using the ATV trail behind my property.
The ATV trail is in the county property and an agriculural farm about 35-50 yards behind my property and occasionally a pig or two would walk along the edge of my property... thats my guess based on prints I can see.

I want to attract some pigs on to my property and maybe even get some to hold up in it.
My purpose is to occasionally harvest one (4 or 5 a year) for the meat.

I'm going to take my post digger up there in next few days to dig a deep hole just 2-3 yards inside my property and fill it with corn/beer/cool-aid mash.
I'm also building two pig sticks to fill it with corn and those will be put about 25-35 yards inside my property.  My hope is that corn mash will attract them on to my property and the pig stick will keep them coming back or even hold them up in the property.

Let me know if I could/should do anything else to attract them.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you're off to a pretty good start.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#2]
You might be able to attract them onto your place, but I don't think you're going to be able to hold them there by just giving away a few meals. You'll need a water source, thick brush/woods, a constant food source and they'll have to like it before they'll hang around.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You might be able to attract them onto your place, but I don't think you're going to be able to hold them there by just giving away a few meals. You'll need a water source, thick brush/woods, a constant food source and they'll have to like it before they'll hang around.[/quote]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^+1

There's your answer LOBO,

Hogs tend to be transient in nature anyway, so you will need to have several desirable elements on your property if you expect to see them with any regularity.

Flint.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You might be able to attract them onto your place, but I don't think you're going to be able to hold them there by just giving away a few meals. You'll need a water source, thick brush/woods, a constant food source and they'll have to like it before they'll hang around.

I agree that I would not be able to hold them here consistantly but I think I can get them to hold up occasionally during some part of the year.
The place is full of heavy grass, brush, palmetto palms and some pine trees and only few small areas are semi-cleared.  
There are plenty of water around here (nearby swamp) most of the year and during the 3-4 dry months I'll have a water source in future.
Food source in this area is some water plants/roots, oranges from grove some times of the year and agricultural fields.

BTW. ever heard of using salt licks to attract pigs?  one of my co-worker suggested that.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree that I would not be able to hold them here consistantly but I think I can get them to hold up occasionally during some part of the year.
The place is full of heavy grass, brush, palmetto palms and some pine trees and only few small areas are semi-cleared.  
There are plenty of water around here (nearby swamp) most of the year and during the 3-4 dry months I'll have a water source in future.
Food source in this area is some water plants/roots, oranges from grove some times of the year and agricultural fields.

BTW. ever heard of using salt licks to attract pigs?  one of my co-worker suggested that.

Personally, I'd just go to the areas where you're finding the hog sign and put up a feeder and maybe bury some corn in holes to get them to come through those areas more often for some easy food. It's going to be easier to get them to stay longer in an area that they already frequent than it is to get them to come to places that they already have access to but aren't going there. So you mentioned the back of your property, I'd just concentrate all of my efforts there.

As far as using salt licks, I've never heard of hogs being attracted to salt licks and I've seen them destroy the corn from deer feeders and leave salt licks alone. However, they will destroy livestock mineral blocks and I think it's mostly due to the molasses content.

If you want to save some money, find a feed producer, where the real farmers buy their cattle feed and you can buy bulk liquid or dried feed grade molasses. I don't remember the pricing on dried but we get liquid molasses for about $.10 per pound and it's about 12 pounds per gallon. That's a lot cheaper than paying $10 a gallon or more for the same thing at Cabelas or BassPro. Then mix it with corn or dig a hole and dump a bunch in it and then fill it back in, you can also do this with the dried molasses. They absolutely love the stuff and that will attract them if they're in the area and it will hold them there for a while.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#6]
You may be the first person in Florida to want hogs on their property. They'll ruin your land in a hurry. Make sure you thin them out on a regular basis since they multiply like rabbits.
Best of luck and post pics of your harvest!

Edit: What part of FL?
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for all your information.

This property was purchased for the purpose of building our retirement home in future.
It will be couple more years before we start building on it.
My wife and I are both still pretty young so we are just going to sit on it for now and use the land as a personal recreational property.
I don't want my son to spend all his young years in the city so we plan to bring him out here frequently to camp, shoot, hunt, ride ATV... spend time outdoors.  
We'll soon clear a small area in the front to put a camper on it and spend weekends on it.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Is it safe to eat those things?
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 3:34:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, they are.
When we used to own a grove we would harvest couple meat hogs every year.
We would take the back straps and rest were usually made into sauage.
We never shot large hogs as they smelled but smaller "meat" hogs were fine.
Our "meat" hogs were between 60-100 lb. live weight.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is it safe to eat those things?

Hell yeah

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#11]
yobo -  they are using the ATV trail behind my property.

hogs are not using the atv trail...  you are driving an atv on the hog trail.    there is a difference.

===============

I like the idea of digging the post hole and filling with bait to keep them in an area.   you an also mix diesel fuel with the corn and that will attract the hogs even quicker.  

Have you thought about setting up a trap (simple figure 6 and cheap) to see if you get hogs in the trap (then you can set once they get used to it).  I can post a link on how to build traps by the guru flintknapper.    You can also dig the posthole in the trap to get them in and keep them.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top