Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/16/2009 2:51:40 PM EST
Fill up with gas at half a tank? I'd just hate to be somewhere and not be able to get enough gas to make it home. Sometimes I'm much further than a half a tank of gas from home mind you, but it can get me a hell of a lot closer.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:54:48 PM EST
Even my work van Ill fill it up once it hits 1/2 tank. I know ppl that drive around 1/4 tank all the time, drives me nuts.

On the flip side, when I was in Barstow Cali. It was miles and miles between towns, so ppl would leave a small amount of gas in their cars and if their cars were stolen, theyd find them down the road a few miles. seems to work.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:56:28 PM EST
I do. I'm trying to get into the good habit of doing it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:59:34 PM EST
Always, have it drilled into the wifes head too. Family rule.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:11:54 PM EST
Always, family rule here as well... I have a teenage driver now too, its her car but I own the first half a tank... I put in there and she is responsible to make sure she doesn't touch my half tank. She does alright but as a father of a beautiful daughter, the last thing I want is her on the side of the road waiting for me or AAA to bring gas. I don't even have her go to the gas station. She gives me her gas money and I go for her, to many idiots at the stations near us. Pan handlers and a young lady alone don't mix. She's a Glock owner but we decided the minor in possesion of a handgun charge might be a problem when college rolls around!

Prepper
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:12:04 PM EST
I do. I live in a rural area, and my truck doesnt like the gas at the little store thats about 4 miles from the house. If i head home with 1/4 tank, and do any running around without going to town, I can end up not having enough to get to town.
There is only 3 gas stations in town, only 2 are American owned. Often times they have half the pumps nozzles covered up with bags, and sometimes they are out of regular.
All this adds to me keeping my tank topped off.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:13:29 PM EST
Me too.
I work with people that drive around with the low fuel light on. Not only are they mere miles from being fooked, its hard on the fuel pump
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:20:09 PM EST
Family rule here as well, although my better half still lets hers run down to vapor on a semi-regular basis. It drives me insane when she does that

I also keep five gallons in the trunk that I rotate out every few months.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:22:12 PM EST
I consider the 1/2 way mark my "E" mark. Try never to let it get below that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:45:46 PM EST
Yeah, over twenty years now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:53:05 PM EST
I do. I've tried to get my wife to do the same, but every time I get in her car the needle is around 1/8th.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:11:58 PM EST
I do the 1/4 tank trick on my POV as well as work car.

When I was a kid I was bad about letting it get too low but now I understand the importance of not letting it get too low.
1) hard on fuel pump
2) preparedness to bolt outta town if need be.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:15:45 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:24:39 PM EST
When katrina hit we here in the carolinas were screwed......Gas stations went dry all over......I had a female friend (baby sister type sadly) on her way back from new york and made her stop every 1/4 tank and refill.....Had 30 gals plus a full tank to go get her if need be. I dont go below 1/2 tank after that
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:29:17 PM EST
i do! both of my rides get better gas milage on the first half tank then they do on the second half....
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:43:11 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:47:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By Waldo:
Originally Posted By snowmonkey:
i do! both of my rides get better gas milage on the first half tank then they do on the second half....

+1
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:50:45 PM EST

I used to be bad about letting the tank get low. Since the first of the year, I totally changed. Now I fill up every weekend (I don't commute far) regardless of how much is left, even if its only a couple of gallons used that week.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:54:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By Darkninja:

+1

+2
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:15:15 PM EST
Originally Posted By rapracing:

+1

+2

Well, as crazy as it sounds, I might try to give the wife that explaination and see if it works. If she doesn't keep it at 1/2 or more she's wasting $...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:20:01 PM EST
yep.... I dont like letting it get below 1/2 tank, usually always fill up
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:29:23 PM EST
Got in the habit of keeping tanks full growing up in an area with very damp cold winters. Full tanks prevent condensation and subsequent frozen fuel lines. Also the extra weight helps with winter traction.

I keep both cars and 3/4 pick up topped off with diesel year round as often as practical, treat below half as reserve.

Also carry a couple 5 gal plastic jerry cans of diesel in the tool box of the pick up.

Rotate jerrys in the spring/fall to switch to summer/winter diesel.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:34:24 PM EST
Originally Posted By ubergeek:
Fill up with gas at half a tank? I'd just hate to be somewhere and not be able to get enough gas to make it home. Sometimes I'm much further than a half a tank of gas from home mind you, but it can get me a hell of a lot closer.

Always. I never get into my wife's vehicle though. It's always at 1/4 tank or less, and that's on a good day.

There's no explaining to her that if she uses "x" amount of gas a week that it doesn't cost any more keeping the tank full, don't even try it.

Preach it! Boy, does that drive me crazy. Sometimes I'll check the wife's van and it's right on the E, and needless to say that if she needs my pickup, she has no problem bringing it back just like her van.

I've told my daughter that for safety's sake she neeeds to refill at 1/2, and if for no other reason that if something were to happen when her tank is low, gas prices could jump up overnight.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:37:01 PM EST
Family rule......................but I'm the only one that follows it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:41:15 PM EST

+1

+2
I have had vehicles that appeared to do this.

You are not getting better mileage, just the way the tank/sensor works.

I never get below 1/4, and try to fill around 1/2.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:44:40 PM EST

I got a system.

Fill up around half a tank. Put the 5 gallons in the truck's tank from the spare can, add PRI-G to the can, then fill the truck the rest of the way and refill the can at the local station. When I get home I put the refilled can at the far end of the row and put the can from the near end in the truck's bracket. Very easy to rotate out the old fuel and fill up at the same time that way.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:45:57 PM EST
Anyone in my family caught with less than half a tank gets a lecture. I usually top my tank off at the end of every day at the last gas station on my way home, that way I am rarely below 3/4. Maybe that's a little anal, but I just don't ever want to NOT be able to get home from wherever I am, and I insist on the same for my family.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:15:02 PM EST
I use a 1/4. Because it will always get me home from anywhere in my immediate AOR, outside that I carry cans with me.

Once Home I'm golden. I've got nowhere else to go.

1/2 tank for some people is only 5 gallons, for bigger trucks its 20, so it depends.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:19:10 PM EST
Originally Posted By Marine-78:
I consider the 1/2 way mark my "E" mark. Try never to let it get below that.

+1 Part of thinking ahead. Plus with gas so high the price makes me feel better!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:30:37 PM EST
I currently have enough diesel on hand to fill my vehicle twice from nothing.

I recently ran it down to around a 1/4 tank just because I was running all over the place and wanted to fill up at my favorite fuel station.

Normally it gets filled up at a half tank or close to it.

But since I keep enough at home I don't worry too much.

I currently own nothing else that uses diesel fuel as well, so the diesel fuel is for the vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:36:47 PM EST
If I'm going out of town I keep it above a quarter tank, but if I'm just in the daily grind I let it run down to fumes as there are plenty places around that I can fill up at. I have a diesel, so when I'm out of town I tend to fill up when I get the opportunity since all stations don't carry diesel but I get ~600-650 on a tank highway driving.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:10:37 PM EST
My truck has a 15 gallon or so tank, and gets @14MPG. If I filled it at half, I would never get anywhere because I would be so busy filling my truck. I guess you could say that I keep it over 1/2 tank about 50% of the time.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:01:24 PM EST
I try to but I don't drive my truck very much so a tank of gas will last me for a while.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:27:36 AM EST
I've been doing this for years now. The wife is now getting into the habit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:11:29 AM EST
One habit I have never gotten into. I do carry an extra 2 gallons in the truck toolbox though. At half a tank, I'm good for nearly 200 miles of travel.

On September 11th, 2001 I was able to buy all the gas I wanted. Now, later in the day things got goofier but I vividly recall filling my truck that day about 11:00 local time. If a natural disaster were impending- hurricane etc.....that's different but day to day I fill when I need to.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:53:36 AM EST
I use about a 1/4 tank for the daily commute. Stop for a cuppa on the way to work and top off everyday. Have taught wife to do the same.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:00:54 AM EST
I keep jerry cans with me filled ...so I don't worry so much when I hit 1/2 tank.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:08:28 AM EST
I run the litle cobalt down to about 1/4 in a 2 week period (driving to work and back, plus a small trip to the grocery store here and there), but on longer trips I like to keep it at around 1/3 a tank before I fill up.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:10:30 AM EST
Originally Posted By Will:
One habit I have never gotten into. I do carry an extra 2 gallons in the truck toolbox though. At half a tank, I'm good for nearly 200 miles of travel.

On September 11th, 2001 I was able to buy all the gas I wanted. Now, later in the day things got goofier but I vividly recall filling my truck that day about 11:00 local time. If a natural disaster were impending- hurricane etc.....that's different but day to day I fill when I need to.

The towers did now go down until what 10:30 TX time? Folks did not get off for lunch until noon, so you beat the rush by half an hour. By 5 in the afternoon there were lines for gas at every station I passed, and the price was up 10% or so. I was commuting to work at that time and had to buy gas every other day. Unfortunately that day was gas day.

Alas; if I had only known about MFCs then
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:13:01 AM EST
On my 92 dodge cummins ( 30 gallon tank ) I always fill up at around the 200 mile mark. This is about 2/3 in the tank. On roadtrips I always tend to fill up at about the 200 mile mark. By that time I need to get out and stretch, let the dogs out of the back, or something.

On the S.O's Jetta I have a hard time getting her to fill up before 1/4 tank. Sometimes 1/8.

We use to live 23 miles one way from town, but now we only live 6 miles from town. Its a nice change, and if we had to walk we could.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:48:42 AM EST
Originally Posted By HomeSlice:

+1

+2

Well, as crazy as it sounds, I might try to give the wife that explaination and see if it works. If she doesn't keep it at 1/2 or more she's wasting $...

I have done the calculations myself and have gotten the same resualts. I keep detailed records as I get reimbursed by my employer. I dont know why it is but I get 22.3 MPG in the first half of my tank and 19.8 in the second half of my tank.

Maybe it has something to do with the fuel pump thing, sucking air?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:15:17 AM EST
Originally Posted By ScoutMac:
Originally Posted By HomeSlice:

+1

+2

I have done the calculations myself and have gotten the same resualts. I keep detailed records as I get reimbursed by my employer. I dont know why it is but I get 22.3 MPG in the first half of my tank and 19.8 in the second half of my tank.

Maybe it has something to do with the fuel pump thing, sucking air?

Oh, i'm not claiming that it really works that way. But she doesn't have to know that! Just a motivator...

I'm sure if you try to measure and get this result its because of inaccuracies in guage/sensor. After all, it really doesn't measure in very small increments.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:52:03 AM EST
The towers did now go down until what 10:30 TX time? Folks did not get off for lunch until noon, so you beat the rush by half an hour. By 5 in the afternoon there were lines for gas at every station I passed, and the price was up 10% or so. I was commuting to work at that time and had to buy gas every other day. Unfortunately that day was gas day.

The towers were hit at 8:49 and 9:03 New York time. That makes it 7:49 and 8:03 Texas time. I was out of the office by 8:05- closed the sumbitch and sent all of my employees home to be with their families, I was home by 8:15. Watched some of it unfold on TV and decided there were a couple of things I needed to get done.....Nice to work for yourself......
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:56:35 AM EST
Originally Posted By CJan_NH:

I also keep five gallons in the trunk that I rotate out every few months.

What container do you use?

Disclaimer: I've read various threads in this forum comparing fuel containers, et al. I just figured that someone who is actually using something everyday might have a good suggestion.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:05:06 AM EST
I tend to be pretty good about looking for a fuel stop when it gets to the half mark, occasionally it gets to a quarter before I fill up, but not too often.

My former in-laws were the type to only put $2 or $3 worth of gas in the car at a time, even if it meant they had to stop every day, and the needle always hovered right above E. I never understood the logic, that drove me batty.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:28:04 AM EST
Originally Posted By Will:

The towers were hit at 8:49 and 9:03 New York time. That makes it 7:49 and 8:03 Texas time. I was out of the office by 8:05- closed the sumbitch and sent all of my employees home to be with their families, I was home by 8:15. Watched some of it unfold on TV and decided there were a couple of things I needed to get done.....Nice to work for yourself......

Yep and I sat and contemplated orders while the exec assistant discussed the event on the phone. IIRC it was around 10:30 that she said they had gone down. Blech should have walked on Sept the 10th anyway

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:27:31 AM EST
I
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:42:24 AM EST
Originally Posted By Glockgirl26:
I tend to be pretty good about looking for a fuel stop when it gets to the half mark, occasionally it gets to a quarter before I fill up, but not too often.

My former in-laws were the type to only put $2 or $3 worth of gas in the car at a time, even if it meant they had to stop every day, and the needle always hovered right above E. I never understood the logic, that drove me batty.

My dad used to do this. You have to remember that his generation had 19 to 29 cent per gallon gasoline during his formative years. 5 bucks was his idea of a fill up.

Dad would also drive 5-10 miles out of his way to save 2 cents a gallon on gas. This actually made sense in a twisted sort of way when you consider that on a 20 gallon fill up the 40 cents saved would pay for over a gallon of gasoline at 29 cents/gallon.

OTOH, I've seen younger people bragging that they get better mileage with a half tank than a full one due to the weight of the fuel.

In any case, it doesn't much matter why they do what they do or even if they never keep a full tank... until they run out of gas by the side of the road.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:23:47 AM EST
I am bad about this... In my area gas prices are very high and I tend to put off buying gas a long as possible and then drive a good distance out of my way to fill up. However, I also have gas I keep on hand at home so I do have the means to fill the car or truck (or both) if needed.

I may need to work on this habit of mine as I do see the point.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:33:25 AM EST
The CUCV's get filled up when they reach half a tank. The Suburban has a 44 gallon tank and even when the gauge reads 1/4 fill it will only take 30 gallons, so there are 14 left in it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:11:47 AM EST
I do, still trying to get the wife unit to do it all of the time(now about 85%).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top