Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/18/2008 8:06:35 AM EDT
I'm not talking about Zombies, Asteroids, or Total Thermo-Nuclear War, as fun as they are to discuss.  I just want to know what level of preparedness would cover most all situations?
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#1]
1 month from what you have listed.  Covers power outages from hurricanes and ice storms for the most part.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 8:16:55 AM EDT
[#2]
My dad was without power for 31 days after an ice storm, but had access to supplies much sooner.

We were without power for 34-37 days around here post Rita, but had access to supplies much sooner than that.  I would think one month would cover most problems with excess.

Doc
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 8:19:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Around here a week will do it 99% of the time.  Power might be out longer, but it only takes a few days max to be able to get out for more supplies.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 8:49:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I've never in my life had the power out for more then one full day. So I'd say 1 day will provide for 99% of your life.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 9:02:27 AM EDT
[#5]
There have been storms in this area where power was out for well over a month for some people. I voted 3 months for those people.

For people in a more urban environment 1 month is more than sufficient for most things.

There is one exception to the above, I feel an Avian Flu epidemic is a distinct possibility - in that case if it goes human to human with anything close to it's current lethality I would say 6 months is a minimum.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 9:17:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
There have been storms in this area where power was out for well over a month for some people. I voted 3 months for those people.

For people in a more urban environment 1 month is more than sufficient for most things.

There is one exception to the above, I feel an Avian Flu epidemic is a distinct possibility - in that case if it goes human to human with anything close to it's current lethality I would say 6 months is a minimum.

I guess I dont consider a power outage a SHTF..... its just an inconvenience.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 9:21:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 9:27:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I have one month of supplies.

Tornadoes and snow/ice storms are my only threats up here.

I can't even remember the last time my power was off - even during the ice storms and tornadoes.

Av.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Using Katrina as an example, it took about 3-4 days for the first real help to arrive, so I would say 1 week of preps might get you through most situations.
But having a solid month of preps would be a much wiser choice. It just depends on how widespread the SHTF area is & how much help might (or might not)be coming your way.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I feel anything lasting more than about 4-6 weeks would cause a HUGE breakdown of the local social order.  I keep at least 1 month worth of supplies, and try to up it in weekly increments until I get back up to 3 months worth of supplies.

I have had to dip into my supplies lately, but never let it get below one month.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I only have enough for 5 days, but I would say a years worth (if you have the capability) wouldnt hurt
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Voted for 1 month due to being in a hurricane susceptible zone.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Around here a week would be more than enough 99% of the time.  The worst case scenario that I can imagine dealing with would be a major blizzard and it's usually possible to get around normally within a day or two after they happen.  I don't think that I've ever had the power go out for more than an hour.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a solid two weeks of food and water at the moment and hope to have up to a month's worth soon. I need to build more storage...which I bought the supplies for last week.

You might be able to get power and water PDQ. But items needed to recover from a disaster might take much longer to get, ie: tarps, building materials, batteries, gas cans, etc. I've stock piled 20+ sheets of 3/4 plywood, a bunch of 2x3's, 4's and 6's along with cooper tubing (and fittings), PVC pipe, screws and nails. If I have to patch a roof or do some plumbing work, I'm pretty much set for damage control and temporary repairs to the house. Shit after some of the storms in FL, we couldn't get dry wall up here and it delayed a few of my projects for weeks, never mind the price increases.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Aussie government advised their citizens to stock for 3 months
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Aussie government advised their citizens to stock for 3 months

Differnet situation.

The Aussies depend on a lot of imports.

If shipping is effected for a few weeks, there would be a chain reation of shortages.

Even when the ships start arriving again, it will take time to get supplies to the end user.

One month in the US covers any major disaster, IMO

Link Posted: 1/18/2008 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I asked my SO and she said 5 years should do it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

My dad didn't have electricity until he was 6 or 7 years old (they had batteries, but no power lines).
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

My dad didn't have electricity until he was 6 or 7 years old (they had batteries, but no power lines).

Yeah, we didnt have power at our camp which became our house and i lived there for about 12 years.  Whenever there was a power outage in town people would come visit cause htey new it would be warm and light at my house and the beer would be cold.  I dont live in that house any more... but have enough backups its just a matter of a few minutes before we are back in business.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

A power outage is a SHTF for many people around here precisely because they aren't prepared for it: They don't have generators and they don't have a month's food, so without handout from Big Brother they are screwed - The power is out, it is 10 degrees outside, they have no heat, they have no water, etc.

It isn't a SHTF for me or for you because we are prepared, but this poll isn't about me, it is about how much preps will cover 99% of SHTF events.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Voted 3 months and we have about that much stored. It probably won't last that long because I know I'd be helping out the rest of the family to some degree.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Here in FL we have a pretty good responce system. During that string of hurricains a few years ago I was out of power for 3 days on the worst occation. But i'm not relying on that good luck in the future so I voted and prep for at least 1 month.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I guess I'm one of a handful of pessimists on the board.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 3:13:13 PM EDT
[#27]
How do you prepare for more than a few weeks?
A gallon of H2O a day adds up, how do you store it?
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 3:18:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
A gallon of H2O a day alls up, how do you store it?

Store a few cases of bottled 500 ml water, two 5 gal Mil Water containers per person, and a couple of 55 gal blue water barrels.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 3:19:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I think 1 week will handle 90+ percent and 1 month will cover up to 99% however my goal is still to get up to a year + just in case.  Family is probably at about 1 week at the moment.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A gallon of H2O a day alls up, how do you store it?

Store a few cases of bottled 500 ml water, two 5 gal Mil Water containers per person, and a couple of 55 gal blue water barrels.

and a water filter
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#31]
One month will cover all but the worse situations, but it can't hurt to be over-prepared.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#32]
We're good for 3 months..if not more.  Still going to add to the totals, too.

HH
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#33]
I've seen the words, "around here" a few times and that makes sense.  It will depend on where you live as to how long you'll have to wait for the 'fan to get cleaned off'.  Here where I'm at: a week.  I've never had the power go out for more than 4 hours and when snowed in, it has always melted enough to get out within a week.  

Generally, I'd have to go with the way the poll is going and say a month.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#34]
I voted 3 months simply because there was no even specified, and I have bird flu in mind.
Locally, my biggest worries are earthquake/volcano, and flooding. Earthquake would be a big shtf, because the bridges over the river might go, and that would massivly disrupt the supply train.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#35]
I look at it this way . One month will cover 99% of the typical situations
we are ever likely to see . Now having said that . I like to have 3+ months of
supplies on hand . Because I know damn well that when things get tight
there are a few people who will come groveling with their tail between their legs
looking for help/food/shelter . They are the same ones that I've been telling
for years to put a little food aside and keep some basic camping gear in working
condition . Most of them even agree that it makes sense , but they just never
seem to get around to it .......

They are called family , and I won't turn them away  
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 5:11:23 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I look at it this way . One month will cover 99% of the typical situations
we are ever likely to see . Now having said that . I like to have 3+ months of
supplies on hand . Because I know damn well that when things get tight
there are a few people who will come groveling with their tail between their legs
looking for help/food/shelter . They are the same ones that I've been telling
for years to put a little food aside and keep some basic camping gear in working
condition . Most of them even agree that it makes sense , but they just never
seem to get around to it .......

They are called family , and I won't turn them away  

you took the words right out of my mouth.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Got about 2 months, maybe a bit more, but I think a year is a good number. Not because of asteroids or invading lizard men, but because it’s what it may take for you to relocate to some other state/country, get back on track financially after a disease or personal problem that creates an important set back for you and your family.

And there’s always those nukes, wars and asteroids.

By the way, there's some SHTF situations where even a 10 year supply isn't enough, you have to move to greener pastures.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#38]
We have two months food, and most other supplies covered for my family.  I keep adding, but I realize that if things get that bad, all bets are off.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#39]
I voted 3 months.
Because i'm paranoid and if you need preps longer than that we're probably in the other 1% events........
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#40]
for my area a week's worth would get most by easily,

the big shtf issue in central Oklahoma is tornados, rain and ice storms.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm at 60 days right now. Its probably more than you need for most situations. I figure being completely self reliant for a week will cover 80% of conceivable emergencies. A months worth will cover 95%. If services aren't restored in a month or two they probably wont be for several years.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#42]
My advice to anyone is to have a stash of dedicated SHTF supplies for at least TWO weeks.  Those added to your normal cabinets of canned food should allow for you to ration out at least up to a month if you needed. At any rate two weeks is a good place to start.

If it goes past a month than you can probably bet on it going for a lot longer if you haven't had enough stability to obtain supplies by then.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2008 8:51:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 3:47:40 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I asked my SO and she said 5 years should do it.

Can you have her talk to mine?

I voted for a month but I think 2 to 3 weeks would be plenty for 99% of the situations. That said I think you should have a minimum of 1 months worth stored and be working up to 3 months worth including perishables, cash, etc.

ETA I think one area overlooked by too many people (meaning the average joe not on this board) is water.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I think this needs to be emphasized.

A SHTF (S#@! Hit the FAN) to me. . .has always been a serious situation that is more then just a minor annoyance.  I view a SHTF situation as Flu Pandemic, Economic Collapse, Wildfires, the California "Big One" and so forth.  Situations that while its no question that the nation will trudge on mostly unaffected, things in my AO will be impacted the better part of a year until a sense of normalcy has been restored.

Then you have a FHTF (Fart Hit the Fan.) It stinks, and its annoying to smell, but it will pass soon enough.  These are things like power outages, minor hurricane damage, ice storms, drought and so forth.  It shouldn't be necessary to use any of your stockpile consumables, your SHTF supplies to weather that storm.

For a SHTF I would think 6 months should be more then sufficient assuming you're supplementing your stash usage with food from hunting, trading in those silver rounds for extra .223 rounds and 00 buck as your present 2K stockpile suddenly looks rather small in comparison, etc.

For a FHTF, with the possible exception of having to use a bottle or two of propane to break out that heater buddy for a night or two. . .a FHTF shouldn't even be a blip on your radar.

Again, just MHO, YMMV. Still by BFF Jill, Right???
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#46]
I'd say 1-2 mo. of supply's and a good years supply of ammo just in case
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#47]
I voted for 3 months... better to err on the side of caution and have more than you needed, than find out that help is going to be rather delayed... or that you're just not the kind of person they (the .Gov) is trying to help for 'political' reasons.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#48]

I also voted 3 months in the poll.

The way I figure it, around  3 weeks worth of supplies will cover most events, but I also feel that I need supplies for at least 3 times as many people as I plan on feeding.  The closest answer seems to be 3 months of supplies.

Your logic may vary.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:19:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Bump to hopefully get to 300 votes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:23:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Your question should be phrased: What is the minimum days preps to cover 99% of all SHTF situations.  

I voted 1 year based on your question however I only have about 3 months of preps on hand for my family.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top