Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/30/2010 3:24:05 PM EDT
I know, I am am asking for trouble with such a vague opening. If TEOTWAWKI happens how many 22lr would you have wished you stocked up on?

My family probably goes through a few thousand just plinking on summer break. Rabbit and squirrel hunting really doesn't measure in the bricks per year. Obviously, if  the SHTF we would not be blowing through 500 rounds in an afternoon trying to cut cans in half. I do believe we would still incorporate some training and use 22LR to keep skills up and train the little ones as they grow up. I can see how ammo of any sort could be very valuable if factories stopped turning them out for an extended period of time. I'm all about having multiple barter items available too.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 3:27:23 PM EDT
[#1]
You can never have too much .22lr ammo .
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#2]
3 rifles
2 pistols
2 revolvers

I could use one from each category for trade goods later.
Plenty of ammo for each and their favorite "food" is printed on their cases.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#3]
all of them.

yup, that would just about be "enough".
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I am up to 12000 rounds and always feel like i could use more... But I have started reloading so that's what I am putting my money towards right now.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Several more than a few too less
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I currently have 20K rounds which I think is more than enough, but I'll be damned every time I pass by the ammo counter at Walmart, I pick up another box.  I can't stop.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I have about 8k rounds. Been shooting more than buying lately, so I feel like I'm getting dangerously low
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#8]
When I hit 10K, I figured it was enough.  I probably have 12K on hand
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 6:59:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I only have about 6K rounds on hand, but I keep buying 22LR weapons.

I have five kids and have made sure they all have a rifle (though my youngest two are 4YO and 17mos).

Then I got into 22 pistols... <sigh> I do believe my 6" Mark II is my favorite firearm. Period.

OK, so the wife got worried when I started going out to the garage and shooting mice with subsonics.

Yep, mice.

It's just too much fun, and freakishly accurate. Gotta use it, paper is boring.

I bought a Hi Standard pump 22 rifle last week for $40. Needs some clean up but will be a shooter when I'm done.

22LR and 12ga. Can't have enough of either.

And no, I'm not a 'fudd'.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#10]
If you have to ask yourself that question, then you don't have enough.  The way I figure it, if TEOTWAWKI actually happens, ammo, especially varmint ammo, will be a form of currency.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 5:12:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I have around 5k, need more. Like arcticwarrior says, 22LR is/will be good trading material.

Link Posted: 12/31/2010 10:31:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone know how many Federal Bulk packs will fit in a fat 50/saw can?
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Anyone know where the best place to buy bulk .22 ammo is? What's the preferred round for 10/22 and 22/45 plinking? I'm looking to get around 5 thousand rounds, wasn't sure if there was a site that specializes in bulk...
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No, but I do know how many will fit in a 30 cal can. it's 6 Federal bulk packs (3300 rounds) Loose of course. I have four 30 cal cans full of Federal.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#15]
All of it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, but I do know how many will fit in a 30 cal can. it's 6 Federal bulk packs (3300 rounds) Loose of course. I have four 30 cal cans full of Federal.

+1 to that... I have well over 20 .30 cans full.

ETA: dump each 550 pack into a quart freezer ziplock bag before putting into the can.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 to that... I have well over 20 .30 cans full.

ETA: dump each 550 pack into a quart freezer ziplock bag before putting into the can.

How many .22 rounds will fit in a .30 cal can?
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#18]
How much 22lr depends on how many kids you have.

I had a metric ton of 22lr and 9mm, but I bought always couple boxes of the WWB 9mm and CCI 22lr pre-obama, I was able to shoot comfortably with stockpile for over 2 years and didnt have to buy overpriced ammo. Its nice being able to laugh and walk away vice worrying where/when the next score would be.  

Its starting to come down, (actually be available) and i try to grab a couple packs CCI whenever I can.

Whats this all mean? Who knows how long the next dry spell will be, but do you have enough ammo to get through it?
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I do know how many will fit in a 30 cal can. it's 6 Federal bulk packs (3300 rounds) Loose of course.

let me clean that up a little
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 2:49:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Before just buying in bulk I recomend trying various 22lr stuff in your 22s.

Some 22s are very picky about ammo.

I have read posts where someone had a rifle that grouped wonderfully with ammo I considered junk because my stuff would not group with it.

As far as ordering bulk, some places sell cases of wolf 22lr and wolf 22lr is very well respected.  I was going to order a case of mini mags by cci but when I broke down the total cost with shipping my walmart had mini mags at the same price so I just bought 500 or 600 each time I was in there.

I forget the name of the site dedicated to 22lr stuff but running some searches should turn up plenty of places worth messing with and there is an ammo section on this site as well.

All the 22lr stuff I have ever had like mini mags but they are expensive compared to bulk packs.  I mostly stock mini mags but bulk packs are useful for plinking with new shooters and when I mess with my 22lr 1911 it lets me mix in stuff that won't always cycle the action so you learn to react very quickly when the sucker does not chamber the next round like it should.

I use 22lr for cheap practice these days and am very bad about picking on bulk packs because it seems like I always had a few duds in each pack.  Most duds would go off if I rotated them so the firing pin hit another place on the primer but I really dislike the concept of saving a little money to wind up with a few duds.

I have 6k mini mags or so and am working towards 10k pretty quickly.  Maybe a couple months or so.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 3:21:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I try to pick up a box or two each visit to Wally World.  I usually shoot 2-3k per year, including what family shoots up.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 3:47:17 AM EDT
[#22]
My thought on 22s is as cheap as it is now I'd be really pissed at myself if I needed some & didn't have any.  The wife of course doesn't understand that but I just remind how much more expensive my .308 & 5.56 is.... It doesn't work. Lol but it was worth a try
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 4:09:08 AM EDT
[#23]
One needs many different types to try out in various firearms and to keep on hand for various uses.
When one finds a type or brand that works well at a decent price they generally come in cases of 5000. A case takes up surpriseingly little room and stacks well.
I have not bought any except for trials in some time but stand at about 26,000
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 4:13:40 AM EDT
[#24]
I had a CZ 452 that loved this one particular lot # of Wolf MT. I called every gun store within about 100 miles of me, and cleared out there stock of that lot #. Wound up with about 60,000 rounds of it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 7:22:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Never really liked the Wolf .22 too much, but I have not shot much of it. I like CCI stingers and some Federal Bulk packs though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 7:27:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I know, I am am asking for trouble with such a vague opening. If TEOTWAWKI happens how many 22lr would you have wished you stocked up on?

How ever many boxes you have today, buy one more box. (I buy at least one box every time I go to WM)
Repeat same tomorrow.

Like the old saying "You can never carry too much ammo unless you are drowning or on fire"

Link Posted: 1/1/2011 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I don't know about a Fat .50 but in a standard .50 can I get 5,500 of Federal 550 ammo with 6 remaining in their boxes and the other 4 boxes poured into a gallon Ziploc bag, 3 boxes will fit into the Ziploc bag between the Federal 550 boxes and the side of the can and the 4th box overlaps the the top of the 6 boxes.  I don't know how much more will fit in a Fat .50 can but my cans with 5,500 rounds are plenty heavy already.  I have a comfortable amount of .50 cans of the Federal 550 with their lot #'s annotated on the outside of the cans for extended storage and identification, but for plinking I have .30 cans with loose Federal 550 as it's much easier to carry back and forth when going to the range.

Hmmm, this can SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the number of ammo cans I have full.
As stated above you can only get 6 Fed 550's in .50 cal can. I never really wanted to open a box unless I am using it.
This sounds like a good compromise to save space.
Big drawback is the weight of each can will increase by 66%
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#29]
In SHTF I would rather have 20 10/22's then a lb of gold
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#30]
I think I'm up around 20k, no longer buying
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 4:57:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think I'm up around 20k, no longer buying

Amateur.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 10:36:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Basically, if you have to ask then you don't have enough.  I'm at well over 30K, and I still pick up a brick or two any time I go to Wallyworld and they have one of my brands.  This doesn't even include the ammo my sons have stashed away on their own, and that may add up to another 15K or so.  I know it's at least another 10K.  I shoot .22s a lot, so a lot of what I buy these days goes to rotation and not just stockpiling, but I'm still buying it faster than I shoot it.  So far as the weapons chambered for .22, I have one of each of my "standards" for each family member, plus at least one spare.  My standards for .22 are the CZ452 Training Rifle (bolt), Marlin 60 Stainless (semi-auto), and the Ruger MKII or MKIII Target (pistol).  I have at least 5 spare magazines for each individual weapon where applicable.  I don't consider my .22s as combat weapons, so 5 mags each is plenty for my intended purposes.  The Marlin is tube-fed, but I have a couple of extra tube assemblies for those too, just in case.  Don't forget some spare springs, extractors, etc along with knowledge or detailed manuals on how to replace them.  Ammo is always a lot more useful if the gun works.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 10:57:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Well, in 1994 I was a broke assed college student. I had a few guns and 'enough ammo but nowhere near a "lifetime" supply. If you did not live through those dark days then you have no idea how bad things were. I saw two grown men get into a fistfight over some primers at a gunshow- they were that hard to get, as was ANYTHING shooting related......

I decided right then and there that I would DO something about that....the feeling of helplessness.....But, on a very limited budget there wasn't much that I felt I could do. Then I decided that I would buy one brick of .22 ammo every week along with our groceries at Walmart. At the time it was about $7 or so a brick.

I have bought ONE brick a week ever since. EVERY week, not once a month, not every other week, not "when I thought of it"..... EVERY WEEK. And, when I could find ammo really cheap etc....I bought more. That was 17 years ago....26,000 rounds a year....do the math....it's very simple really.

Now, of course I shoot alot of .22 ammo. I have two young sons and several "tactical" .22's and just plain plinkers- we never leave for our plinking range with less than 1,000 rounds.... It sounds like alot but honestly, but it doesn't take up that much space, doesn't eat and the way I've stored it, it doesn't go bad...and those $7 bricks of ammo.....are now $15. They make over a BILLION rounds of .22 ammo every year, I know I'm not the only one that stashes it away.....

As many folks have already said- If you have to ask- You don't have enough.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I have all ways said, You should have one more round then you think you will need!
This goes for any ammo you may need.
I also like what Alpha Tea said:
    "You can never carry too much ammo unless you are drowning or on fire"
So keep buying.

PITA45
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#35]
There is no way to answer this.  In my mind there are never enough.  Buy many and buy often!
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#36]
At least two .50 call cans full - or around 10,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 4:52:43 PM EDT
[#37]
50,000 or go home.

I no longer count it, it takes way to much time. My goal = 500k, the grandchildren will thank me.

In ten years our $7.92 bricks that are now selling for $18.98 will be $39.98. And..... I will be able to tell the kids at the range the same stories the old timers tel me about .308 being a $100 a case of a 1k.

I WILL BE THE LAST1LEFT WITH 22 LR..
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#38]
I WILL BE THE LAST1LEFT  WITH 22 LR..

Um, no, as I already explained above.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 1:46:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I WILL BE THE LAST1LEFT  WITH 22 LR..

Um, no, as I already explained above.

On my street then.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 3:09:23 AM EDT
[#40]
I won't "wish" I had stocked up on more. I have plenty for now... I think I have somewhere around 125,000 rounds... not sure though, I haven't counted in a while. I used to have a picture of it posted here.

.22 is cheap, there is no reason you shouldn't be stocked up now.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 6:02:15 AM EDT
[#41]
I would say I'm close to 100k in .22 LR.  I got a fantastic deal once - and bought 50k rounds in one shot.  No pun intended.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I currently have 20K rounds which I think is more than enough, but I'll be damned every time I pass by the ammo counter at Walmart, I pick up another box.  I can't stop.

yes, that sort of behavior is a sickness.  It is one that we share.  There were so many months that the shelves were bare at Wally World, and now I just can't help myself.    I am almost afraid to count the boxes.  I watched that tv show about horders, and it scared me.

Link Posted: 1/4/2011 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Read somewhere:

When it comes to ammo there is ONLY my wallet is empty or my house is full/
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes, that sort of behavior is a sickness.  It is one that we share.  There were so many months that the shelves were bare at Wally World, and now I just can't help myself.    I am almost afraid to count the boxes.  I watched that tv show about horders, and it scared me.

Wait till the make a show called ... dead preppers.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How ever many boxes you have today, buy one more box. (I buy at least one box every time I go to WM)

Repeat same tomorrow.

Like the old saying "You can never carry too much ammo unless you are drowning or on fire or have to carry it on foot..."

I added a bit to that...

Link Posted: 1/5/2011 8:22:33 AM EDT
[#46]
WOW!!  I knew I had over 30K rounds, and thought it was closer to 35K, but I was WAAAAAAAYYYY off!!  I counted it last night since I was rearranging some stuff anyway.  Seems I'm not shooting as much as I thought, or I've been buying more than I remember.  I had 57K rounds not including any partial bricks or open boxes!  I also found two Spam cans of 7.62x39 that I had forgotten about!!!  It was Christmas all over again!  I definitely need to get more organized in keeping track of my ammo.  This time I had a lot more than I thought, but I would hate for it to be the other way around.  It was a nice surprise, but I don't want the lesson to be lost.
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I do know how many will fit in a 30 cal can. it's 6 Federal bulk packs (3300 rounds) Loose of course.

let me clean that up a little

Last time i checked I could fit 3500 loose in a 30cal can...But that is almost spilling over full...
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I won't "wish" I had stocked up on more. I have plenty for now... I think I have somewhere around 125,000 rounds... not sure though, I haven't counted in a while. I used to have a picture of it posted here.

.22 is cheap, there is no reason you shouldn't be stocked up now.

Lets see...If you were able to do four 50 mag dumps per minute in a 10/22 (yea pretty aggressive. I know), that would be 200 rounds/minute
200rd/min x 60min/hr = 12,000 rounds/hr
It would take a littl less than 11 hours to expend your stash, not including mag swaps, barrel swaps, FTF, FTE, squibs,  bathroom breaks etc
If you want to make it thru a 24hr zombie outbreak, you better double up on ammo.

just sayin'
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
In SHTF I would rather have 20 10/22's then a lb of gold

No kidding.  IF TEOTWAWKI ever happens, ammo, batteries and food will become money and the ones with food, but no ammo, will end up with a lot less food :)

.22LRs are for hunting for food and .223s are for keeping your .22s and food your own.

Link Posted: 1/7/2011 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#50]
I am working my way toward 25,000 but I have a desire to keep going to 50,000
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top