Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
6/25/2018 7:04:05 PM
Posted: 6/6/2018 9:00:11 PM EDT
How do you store a water filter in your pack while hiking / camping so that the contaminated water does not drip into your pack?

Or is this even an issue?
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:17:14 PM EDT
You mean like an MSR?

Just shake it off, roll up the hose and stash it in it's bag.

I keep it in a side pocket, but it's barely damp. Never even thought about it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:30:06 PM EDT
Ziplock bag
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:41:52 PM EDT
Yes. Like an MSR filter.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:50:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:57:59 PM EDT
Mine stays in the mesh pocket on the outside of my pack.

"Contaminated" is a bit of a misnomer.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 8:01:18 PM EDT
I put the hose that goes into the water in a ziplock still connected, the the whole thing goes into an old water proof stuff sack. I use a pur hiker pro.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 10:18:23 PM EDT
I have drank the water directly from ice cold mountain streams without filtering and without issue. That said, I usually filter the water I drink with a MSR Sweetwater filter. I just shake the water out and let it air dry for a few mins. Then put it back in the pack and store it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 10:58:42 AM EDT
Thanks all.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:23:30 PM EDT
After I pull the pick up out of the water I just pump it a few times and shove it back in the bag. The clean water side tubing gets a separate ziploc baggy.
Katadyn hiker pro
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 7:31:06 AM EDT
I use a Sawyer Squeeze. I roll the bag up and attach it to the filter with a rubber band and carry it in the mesh pocket on the side of my bag. I don't worry about the unfiltered water getting on anything in that pocket.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:47:20 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GaryM:
After I pull the pick up out of the water I just pump it a few times and shove it back in the bag. The clean water side tubing gets a separate ziploc baggy.
Katadyn hiker pro
View Quote
This and same device.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 7:12:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/11/2018 7:16:28 PM EDT by ROCK6]
Not MSR, but I mostly use the Sawyer Mini. I use a small mesh bag, hung vertically on my pack and stored in the outside side-pocket, and store the filter clean-tube up. I have a small titanium (300ml) cup and some mini bottles with the Aqua Mira purification solutions along with a Squeeze pouch. Never had an issue.

I do agree, if you have intake and output hoses that separating them just makes it easier to not get them mixed up. My water filter is one of the "outside" pack items that I want immediately accessible.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:44:18 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GaryM:
Katadyn hiker pro
View Quote
This..with the hiker,mini,pocket,micro etc.
Pump dry. Toss in zip lock
Take apart..air dry,lube at home.
Top Top