Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2014 10:07:59 PM EDT
Its time to replace the water filter and I wanted some opinions on the level of filtration to use.  Currently water from the well is pumped through the water softener (salt) and then goes through a 20 micron filter and on to the faucets.  

What are your thoughts on the 20 micron filter.  Obviously a 1 micron would filter better, but would need replacing more often.  What do you guys use?
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#1]
start here. Great company with great products. I have their reverse osmosis system for our drinking water and you can definitely tell the difference over tap water.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
start here. Great company with great products. I have their reverse osmosis system for our drinking water and you can definitely tell the difference over tap water.
View Quote

Thanks, looks like a lot of good reading.  

I have a filter but need to replace the element and am interested in what the hive has to say about different micron levels.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Household RO systems usually waste 9 gallons to make one because they can't create the back pressure.  Haven't tried them but I hear the systems that use the orange stuff are 10 times better than RO and Salt softeners.

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 4:27:15 AM EDT
[#4]
We just run a big blue and 1 micron filters in line before the well pressure tank, and then a Kinetico on the outlet.

1 Micron filters need to be swapped more frequently because they catch more junk, for the same volume of water.
Cost wise, it's cheaper in the long run if you have an on demand water heater, and for the fixtures that get gunked up and need to be replaced.

I found that when bought in bulk from filters Direct etc, prices are very reasonable.

RO is awesome if you can justify the expense, or have a compromised well. Otherwise, they are wasteful and dadgum expensive.
Thankfully, our well is cleaner than anything bottled, and just a little too "enriched" with Iron and Lime, so we didn't have to bear that expense.

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I just ordered 10 micron filters.  Ill see if I notice any difference.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a 10" bb style filter that I have run a 5 micron in for 7 years now - I swap them out twice a year on my well water. The 5 micron is small enough to catch the majority of grit but will last the 6 months without getting clogged or restricting flow. I use the poly filters and just clean it in bleach water in a 5 gal bucket, let it dry good and then wrap it with saran wrap until the next swap-out. They come out brand new looking in the bleach water. I have my water softner after my filter and I use soft water for the whole house, not just some of it. Works very well for our household with our good well water and appliances/fixtures do well too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top