Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2010 11:56:57 AM EDT
This is prepper related, I promise! :)

So Gold Dots are basically unavailable for reloading. They have a great reputation.

BUT, Hornady XTP HP's are pretty much available everywhere. I'd like to load up on a bunch (and have been,) but I'm just wondering if the availability is because they suck, or because Hornady is on top of their game and making lotsa bullets.

Mostly in 9mm and 45ACP.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#1]
My experience with XTP handloads is limited to deer hunting.  For example, I shot a HUGE doe through the chest from about 25 yards, recovering the bullet under the hide on the opposite side.  41 magnum, 210 grain, recovered as a nice mushroom, weighing 194 grains.
Good stuff.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:15:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I have loaded the XTP's in 45 cal 185 grain and really liked them, mushroon very well.
You will not be making a mistake putting a bunch back.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#3]
They are probably the finest handgun bullets available.  Not only are they devastating on flesh, but they are so accurate that many competitive shooters use them exclusively.

They sure aren't cheap, maybe that's why you can find them.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Back in the day when I studied up on this.....

for 45ACP
the best hollow point had about a 96% one-shot-stop rating; the worst was rated at about 92%
230gr ball was rated about 75%

This was a while back, but the gold dot and the XTP were available then

Point is load enough so that you can shoot more than once if you need to, and you will be just fine.  Any quality hp will do fine in the real world.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#5]
If it helps, I'm fairly certain that Hornady TAP pistol ammunition is loaded with Hornady XTP bullets.

I'll double check to confirm and post some pics when I get home. I've been loading XTPs for years with excellent results in 9x19, 40S&W, and 45ACP.

ETA: Hornady TAP pistol ammunition is indeed loaded with XTP bullets LINK
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I've used XTP for more than a decade. Most of my pistol stash is XTP.
I did find a bulk price 230 gr HP that I used alot of. Didn't see a whole lot of differnce as far as loading/reliability or mushrooming.
The load i use for .45 XTP is 185gr, a little more fps and still good punch.
I have a Glock these days. All my steel or stainless frame .45's got a throat job, helps with loading HP reliability. Last one got ported too.
The Glock 21SF seems to feed most anything just fine.
Go easy on the reloads if you might be using Glock though.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#7]
XTPs have been very accurate in my pistols (9mm, .45 ACP).  

For daily carry, I use Hornady TAP FPD 124gr XTP 9mm.  Never had a problem with them in my Glock.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#8]
You can't go wrong with XTP.  I'ved used them in 9mm, 357 mag, and 38 spl.  Provided in 38 spl it's loaded in +P level.  It's accurate in my handguns and has given good expansion in test mediums.  Actually pricewise it's decent.  You just have to shop around.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I got the 500 bullet (XTP) deal when I bought my Lock N Load press and have loaded up probably another 500 XTPs or more. I've been shooting them through my Kimber UC II in .45 and Springfield XD in .45. They have worked very well so far, good expansion and weight retention too. I think they are as good as Gold Dots.

I've used both 185g and 230g bullets and both have peformed very well.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#10]
You can get Gold Dots intermittently at Midway.

I've been using XTPs forever, but within the last year or so, read some reports that lead me to believe I'd rather have Gold Dots in my carry piece.  Either way, you won't get hurt too much as they're both excellent bullets.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:26:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I have been satisfied with the 44 cal 240 gr and 300 gr XTP bullets in hunting applications.  I still use them, and do not plan to change.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Like most Hornady bullets, I've found XTP's to be very accurate.  I'm not sure if it matters much, but when I was testing 9mm XTP loads, I noticed a lot of jacket/core seperations in the recovered bullets that I found.  I stocked up on loaded Gold Dot ammo back when I found it cheap by the case, but I wouldn't hesitate to use XTP's.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#13]
My carry gun is fed a strict diet of 200gr XTPs I love them and stock them myself
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Good information, thanks!

So I guess XTP's that you can buy are better then Gold Dots you cant.

I watch Midway, but have not seen gold dots for a while. I did find some 185 grain .45's in a local store and bought them. BUt the XTP's are EVERYWHERE! :)
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:24:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Let me start by saying that I to like the XTPs and they are the majority of my reloads that are hollow points. That said I would choose Gold Dot 110 times over the XTP. The biggest reason is that it is a bonded core bullet. Bonded core rounds have the jacket and core molecularly bonded. Bonded = higher bullet weight retention and deeper penetration. To my knowledge the XTP is not a bonded bullet which has the potential for jacket/core separation which will limit penetration. The XTPs are much cheaper to purchase for reloading so that is why I reload using XTPs for my ammo stashes.

There is a reason that a super majority of law enforcement carry Gold Dot bullets and those that don't often carry a different brand that is still a bonded core like Remington Golden Sabers. Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:29:08 AM EDT
[#16]
They don't seem to make it on DocGKR's reccommended list, except in 44 Mag.

I shot a deer with my 44 mag using 300 grain XTPs at close range, and the jacket separated.  It did kill the deer though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I loaded up a bunch for .45 ACP and tested them in water and in soaked newspaper in the back yard.  

They come apart in water and in the sodden newspaper the hollowpoints tended to plug and not open about half the time.  They were damn accurate though.  At the time I was shooting a Colt series 80 full size and the wide hollow point would hang up on the ramp.  My smaller Colt officer's wouldn't feed them at all.    ETA-  They would get the hollowpoint dented out of round cycling too, as in the front of the bullets were soft.  At the same time i was testing and carrying golden sabres and they would loosen up in the case after being chambered a few times.   Got spooky when I pulled one out of the chamber with the bullet set waaaay back.  Disco'd them after that.

All in all I wasn't in love with them.  I also used them in .357 magnum  but didn't go through the inconclusive/informal nonscientific backyard testing.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:43:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Where can I buy these components in bulk at a great price??
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:14:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Let me start by saying that I to like the XTPs and they are the majority of my reloads that are hollow points. That said I would choose Gold Dot 110 times over the XTP. The biggest reason is that it is a bonded core bullet. Bonded core rounds have the jacket and core molecularly bonded. Bonded = higher bullet weight retention and deeper penetration. To my knowledge the XTP is not a bonded bullet which has the potential for jacket/core separation which will limit penetration. The XTPs are much cheaper to purchase for reloading so that is why I reload using XTPs for my ammo stashes.

There is a reason that a super majority of law enforcement carry Gold Dot bullets and those that don't often carry a different brand that is still a bonded core like Remington Golden Sabers. Just my 2 cents.

Good info. I've been buying the Golden Sabre's too. They are available sometimes.

Midway sells stuff in bulk for fair prices. Shipping is flat rate too.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:01:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They don't seem to make it on DocGKR's reccommended list, except in 44 Mag.

I shot a deer with my 44 mag using 300 grain XTPs at close range, and the jacket separated.  It did kill the deer though.

Exactly.  In Roberts' ballistics testing with handgun rounds that I've seen the XTP loads nearly always fail to expand and are not recomended.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I loaded up a bunch for .45 ACP and tested them in water and in soaked newspaper in the back yard.  

They come apart in water and in the sodden newspaper the hollowpoints tended to plug and not open about half the time.  They were damn accurate though.  At the time I was shooting a Colt series 80 full size and the wide hollow point would hang up on the ramp.  My smaller Colt officer's wouldn't feed them at all.    ETA-  They would get the hollowpoint dented out of round cycling too, as in the front of the bullets were soft.  At the same time i was testing and carrying golden sabres and they would loosen up in the case after being chambered a few times.   Got spooky when I pulled one out of the chamber with the bullet set waaaay back.  Disco'd them after that.

All in all I wasn't in love with them.  I also used them in .357 magnum  but didn't go through the inconclusive/informal nonscientific backyard testing.

To confirm, you were using the XTPs during these water and newspaper testings? If so, this confirms as I mentioned in my previous post this is what I was referring to about the bullet and jacket seperating. I have done similar testing but I used frozen one gallon jugs. Even in hard ice the Gold Dots and Golden Sabres did not seperate jacket and core. All the other non-bonded bullets fell apart.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Where can I buy these components in bulk at a great price??

Which components are you specifically asking about?
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Although XTP's represent older bullet technology and are not as versatile as the current generation of premium bonded pistol bullets, they are still very accurate and consistent performers. You could do much much worse, even with some of the newer designs. For the price you just about can't beat them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#25]
i'm almost certain Black Hills uses XTP's

they are very accurate and fed well through both of my 1911s and a G30
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

To confirm, you were using the XTPs during these water and newspaper testings? If so, this confirms as I mentioned in my previous post this is what I was referring to about the bullet and jacket seperating. I have done similar testing but I used frozen one gallon jugs. Even in hard ice the Gold Dots and Golden Sabres did not seperate jacket and core. All the other non-bonded bullets fell apart.

yes sir,  I was,  also using milk jugs lined up and waxed corregated fruit shipping box filled with newspapers that had soaked for the better part of a week. Certainly not calibrated ballistic gelatin.
this was back in June of 1994 and I was using 185 XTP's , 5.6 W231 to 5.9 grains of W231, winchester brass and CCI 300 primers.

I recall jacket petals coming right off as well as some complete jacket seprations.  I was a little underwelmed.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I tend to load my revolvers a little hot, and it isn't even worth remarking on when the XTPs blow clean out of the jackets, that's how often it happens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top