Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2011 6:01:18 AM EDT
I have a 500 gal propane tank onsite, with a propane water heater, and baseboard boiler.  There used to be a propane fireplace, but it was removed long before we moved in. They left the propane line in place, but just turned off the valve.

Is hooking a big buddy as simple as connecting the line physically with needed adapters, or will I need some sort of regulator? I do have the "filter" for using 20 lb tanks. I have no clue what the pressure is of the line coming in the house, and I don't know what the standard pressure is for boilers and water heaters.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 7:28:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting question. I have the Heater Buddy adapter and filter that I hook up with but I only hook up to 5 gal tanks with that. I have wondered the same thing. Tag for more interest.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 7:44:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Standard boiler and water heater pressures for LP are around 11"w.c. (read inches of water column)

FYI 1psi=28"w.c.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 8:05:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Standard boiler and water heater pressures for LP are around 11"w.c. (read inches of water column)

FYI 1psi=28"w.c.

I tihnk that answers the question!

From the manual:

"NOTE: THIS HEATER MAY BE OPERATED WITH (1) OR (2) DISPOSABLE 1 LB. PROPANE CYLINDERS OR WITH A REMOTE REFILLABLE CYLINDER(S) MAX. 20 LBS USING (1) OR (2) F273701, F273702 OR F272702 HOSE ASSEMBLIES WITH FUEL FILTERS (F273699) ON EACH HOSE ASSEMBLY. IT MAY ALSO BE OPERATED WITH (1) F271802 HOSE ASSEMBLY CONNECTED TO A REGULATED (11” W.C.) PROPANE SOURCE OR (1) F271803 HOSE ASSEMBLY WITH 11” REGULATOR WITH ACME NUT."
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 2:22:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup, unless there was something really odd about the old fireplace you're good to go. Just be 100% sure about your connections and regardless of the manual and built in sensors I suggest at least SOME venting, even if it's just a cracked window in an adjacent room with the doors open between them.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is hooking a big buddy as simple as connecting the line physically with needed adapters, or will I need some sort of regulator?

The heater already has a pressure regulator installed inside it. In order to use the heater on low-pressure propane, you would need to bypass it.

I've seen posts from RV'ers who have done it, connecting the heater to their RV's low-pressure propane supply.

There is also at least one wall-mounted "Buddy" heater that is factory-configured for connection to low-pressure propane - and dozens of wall-mount models from other manufacturers that will also operate on it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 2:53:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is hooking a big buddy as simple as connecting the line physically with needed adapters, or will I need some sort of regulator?

The heater already has a pressure regulator installed inside it. In order to use the heater on low-pressure propane, you would need to bypass it.

I've seen posts from RV'ers who have done it, connecting the heater to their RV's low-pressure propane supply.

There is also at least one wall-mounted "Buddy" heater that is factory-configured for connection to low-pressure propane - and dozens of wall-mount models from other manufacturers that will also operate on it.

The big buddy has a low pressure inlet also

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 4:14:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The big buddy has a low pressure inlet also

That would be the QD side, no?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top