[#3]
Feral, You are a lucky man.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:21:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm calling OSHA.............
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#5]
That's a weird place for a kitchen?
Tell Mrs. Feral that she did a great job.  The barn looks good.

And what's the max height on that forklift?
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#6]
No spray painting machine? Would have been more fun and got her back into the kitchen quicker!
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No spray painting machine? Would have been more fun and got her back into the kitchen quicker!

Oh man, if Mrs Feral reads that you are gonna be in deep doggy poop.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I hope you were doing something more productive than standing around takeing pictures while all this was going on
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 11:43:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Is that her forklift you were playing with?

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#10]
nice barn and I can relate to it really being a team effort. My wife has been very involved in our preps. We both are bike riding regularly to get in shape and every week we experiment with different dishes made from our preps. As for gardening and such, she hasn't been doing alot of that yet but we are still on just a 1/4 lot. We are actively looking for a place with a smaller house on a larger lot (2-5acres) and once we find it, we will be in full homesteading mode. BTW, we have both enjoyed reading your threads about your homesteading efforts.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Amen to that!

Mine jumps in to just about anything: baits her own hooks, cuts and wraps her own deer, shovels HER critters' stalls....
She is truly the core of our family.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll agree.  I spent the last year deployed.  My wife still managed to raise two broods of chickens, plant a huge garden, take care of some things in the yard that needed to be done, and care for our children, ages 2 and 4.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Slightly off topic here but why are barns red? Now I know not every barn is red but it seems to be the default color.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And what's the max height on that forklift?

It's a tad over 10 feet.

But it's not a dern "forklift" it's a skidloader that just happens to be wearing forks.

I didn't know the skidloaders got the bucket that high.  That's nice.  My little Kubota tops out at about 5'.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:34:06 PM EDT
[#17]
In the old days red paint contained lead and was first and foremost to farmers cheap and durable.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:53:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I can no longer control the jealous green eyed monster within. I'm going to come steal your barn. Thank the Mrs. for painting it up for me.

That is all.

ETA: Have you posted pics of the interior before? Just from what I see in these, something tells me you have one of those wonderfully crafted old barns with the beautiful sweeping rafters inside. The kind of barn that gets improbably stolen in the middle of the night.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:58:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
ETA: Have you posted pics of the interior before? Just from what I see in these, something tells me you have one of those wonderfully crafted old barns with the beautiful sweeping rafters inside. The kind of barn that gets improbably stolen in the middle of the night.

I don't think I ever posted any pics of the upstairs interior. It a pretty neat feat of engineering. There are NO crossmembers, just curved, laminated rafters. The barn was probably built in the 1950s.

If you're capable of stealing it, I wouldn't want to stand in your way.

Yeah, I've seen pictures of what they look like inside. Couldn't remember if you'd ever posted any of yours. They really are amazingly built. I've read on several websites where folks have bought property just because of a barn like that, or have even purchased the barn itself and had it moved in sections to their own property because it costs far more to have a barn like that built these days.

I'll have the History Channel ancient aliens drop by and pick it up for me.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In the old days red paint contained lead and was first and foremost to farmers cheap and durable.

In the days before that red paint was created by using milk which the cream has been removed (skim milk) and scraping the rust off of nails.  Mix the two together, and you have cheap red paint, made from items found on the farm.  

This is the reason farm buildings were originally painted red.  Now the reason is tradition.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top