Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2009 4:42:13 AM EDT
I thought some of you might find these pics interesting.

Some pics of my homebrew bugcatcher antenna. It has taps on it for 18m, 20m, and 40m. I use it mostly on 40. The mount is made with a spring on the bottom and an upright support with a Velcro strap so I can lay the antenna over to get my truck in the garage. I made the coil form from 1/2" Delryn plates and 1/2" Delryn rod. It's pretty big, but it sure works good! I made several of these, minus the mount a while back.

40m magnetic loop
This antenna was expensive to build, but it was a fun project and it works really well for its size. I optimized it for 7.2mhz, but it is tunable with the 5kv vacuum variable capacitor at the top. Very narrow, but high Q.
I have it mounted approx. 7 feet off of the ground and it performs as well as my inverted V up at 35 feet.

Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:29:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Sweet stuff. I'd really like to get into some home brewing stuff.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:59:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Very nice work man.

Ford is in good shape to.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, and also notice that he is in short sleeve shirt.

StagPower

Quoted:
Very nice work man.

Link Posted: 1/24/2009 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yes, and also notice that he is in short sleeve shirt.

StagPower

Quoted:
Very nice work man.

The dry warm weather preserves old trucks and old farts pretty well.
That truck is my favorite vehicle I've ever owned and it's my daily driver. The gentleman in the photo is a ham friend of mine.

Link Posted: 1/24/2009 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#5]
What, no Rhino Liner?  
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What, no Rhino Liner?  

That's for sissy trucks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 10:21:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Seriously, though, I noticed you used all white Delrin.  

(An aside for you other guys, Delrin is a dream to machine, being self lubricating.  Does not melt all over the tools when being milled or turned.)

But Delrin also comes in black.  Does the black tinting agent, whatever it is (carbon black?) have any effect at RF frequencies?  Could black Delrin also be used?  Would black be better from a UV exposure standpoint?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:47:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I used what was available. I made 2 of them with black Delryn rods and clear Plexiglass discs.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What, no Rhino Liner?  

That's for sissy trucks.

^^^

Nice work! and truck!
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 4:50:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I pulled these photos from my old computer. A couple of other HF coils and my 2m version of a magnetic loop.
You can see that I used black Delryn for portions of these two. The one with the clear discs and bare copper wire was version 1 until I forgot and pulled into the garage one afternoon.
The aligator clip on the other one is just used to find tap points, then I solder male ends from banana plugs to those points and replace the clip with a female banana plug.
The little loop works surprisingly well if you only use one frequncy. It's very difficult to tune because it is so narrow. I keep it tuned to a local simplex freq.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top