Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2009 7:11:09 AM EDT
Anyone have any pics of their home-made fishing gear?

I've been tying up a few flies and getting Spring Fever.  I wondered what kinds of practical fishing gear can be made at home that you've tried or recommend.  Favorite lures?  Bobbers? Etc.?

I've never made hooks, but have used improvised weights, floats, lines, and poles.  I'm gonna turn a few drinking straws into pencil-type floats today.

I've got plenty of gear but it is still fun to put a couple of hooks and some line in your pocket and take a kid fishing, using tree limbs or cane poles and bait you scrounge from under the leaves.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#1]
rods

get a blank,eye kit,some cork,some wood and some silky thread and some 5 minute expoxy, and whamo...custom fly rod
no pictures but i got 3 i made here and enough dead animal parts and fur to tie my self into the year 3010,,,,to bad im not into like i used to be...
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I always carry some hooks in my tiny pocket sized survival kits. I planned on using dental floss for fishing line, a bit of bait, a piece of wood for a bober and a stick for a pole.

Dental floss is also good for sewing, lashing, suturing...

and even for cleaning your teeth.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
rods

get a blank,eye kit,some cork,some wood and some silky thread and some 5 minute expoxy, and whamo...custom fly rod
no pictures but i got 3 i made here and enough dead animal parts and fur to tie my self into the year 3010,,,,to bad im not into like i used to be...

Yup ... did that a few years ago myself - got a graphite blank.  

Would love to do one in glass and another in bamboo.

Dad used to do fly rods and casting/spinning rods.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top