Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2014 12:44:29 PM EDT
To start out I have a Fl. CCW permit. What's the law now about CCW's in National Parks?
I ask because at a trail head last week in the Smoky Mountains National Park I saw a sign that said no firearms.
TIA,
Nick
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:06:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I could have sworn a ruling in the past couple years legalized the carrying of firearms in national forests. But I have nothing to back that up, and my memory can be a little spotty from time to time.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I could have sworn a ruling in the past couple years legalized the carrying of firearms in national forests. But I have nothing to back that up, and my memory can be a little spotty from time to time.
View Quote

This, but I don't know if applies to
out of state permit holders.

I just sent a text to a fed friend
who should know the answer.
I'll let you know what he says
when he responds.

***Edit to add***

He said yes you can, but you have
to comply with all of the NC requirements.

John

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:10:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

when he responds.

***Edit to add***

John

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

when he responds.

***Edit to add***

John

Thanks John. I thought I'd also ask over on the Tennessee HTF .
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:28:31 AM EDT
[#4]
National Parks follow state law for firearms carry.

But you cannot carry in buildings.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:47:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Really? Because you can at Kennesaw National Battlefield Park here in GA.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:34:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but that that's "Kenne-freakin-saw, everybody has to carry" Ga!

I like the way they think!!  I once drove up there from
Atlanta just so I could say I had been there!

John
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:07:07 PM EDT
[#7]
If I remember correctly if your in TN your good to go. NC portion your a no go. Been a few years since I've been there so things may have changed.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 6:41:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If I remember correctly if your in TN your good to go. NC portion your a no go. Been a few years since I've been there so things may have changed.
View Quote

Not anymore.....The rules changed a few years ago.

The forest service put out this a couple of years ago.  It is posted at a lot of the ranger stations that I have been to.

See This

I've printed this out, laminated it, and stuck a copy in my backpack for hiking trips.

ETA:  Just saw you were asking about national parks.....they are fine to carry in as well here in NC.  Just stay out of buildings owned my the .gov
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:32:23 AM EDT
[#9]

In February of 2010 all National Parks were mandated to adopt relevent State law as related to firearms. This was a huge deal, since before then, you could have a gun seized for mere possession - and hope that the US Magistrate gave it back eventually. I've seen it happen.....

In ALL NPS jurisdictions firearms are prohibited in  "buildings regularly frequented by US gov employees".  Visitor Centers etc.  They have to be signed and the stickers should have all gone up in 2110.   Firearm "use" other than defensive is still prohibited.

The main issues I deal with in regards to CCW are:

Failing to inform.  No we won't usually yank you out and shoot your dog.
Concealed in a vehicle w/o a valid permit
Alcohol/drug use while carrying
Leaving your piece in the shitter.  Yes, you will get a ticket/court appearance.

cheers,
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm here today.

IIRC, you are good to go now. Prior, if you were even driving through to Gatlinburg from Pigeon Forge, you had to break down and stuff it in the trunk for the trip, because a few dick law enforcement rangers might stop you and then there'd be you a felony charge.

In TN, if your state has reciprocity, you can carry like we do. You can carry pretty much anywhere you're gonna find in the woods.

The sign issue, I swear was that they didn't have the money to go around and upgrade them to reflect new legislation. I offered to just pull them down or put a bumper sticker on them. It fell upon deaf ears.

Shawn
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:48:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I believe the Feds removed federal restrictions and said follow the state law. I open carried and CCW'ed in Yellowstone and the Tetons
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:14:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Isn't there an Cherokee reservation you drive through when going from Gatlinburg to NC while still in the Natl Park?   Does the reservation allow concealed carry?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm curious about Cherokee too. Is the whole area there a part of the reservation or is it separate from the tourist trap. I miss the bear zoo.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Hell, I work w Cherokee PD often, but have no idea.  I've always assumed that they followed NC state statutes in regards to firearms.  I'll ask around.  

Edit:  The Rez is a completely separate jurisdiction than the park.  There are some Fed officers under the BIA but that's mostly in the form of agents and CO's.  The bulk of the police work is done by the PD.  You do have to pass thru the Rez to enter the Oconaluftee/Hwy 441 area of the park.  

cheers,

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#16]
My family carry in Cherokee all the time but not sure if that's 100% legal. It's kinda hard not to when you live next door and have different affairs in and around Cherokee everyday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top