Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2011 8:14:47 AM EDT
I'm surprised not to see a thread about this yet, I'm sure Japan has much more ham radio operators than any of the third world countries hit by disasters recently. If there is already a thread and I missed it, my apologies.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/industry-and-economy/article1532157.ece?homepage=true

For three hours after hearing about the tsunami in Japan, Delhi resident Dr A.P. Mishra tried to contact his daughter, Surabhi, a student of biology at the Hokkaido University. Unable to get through, he contacted Mr Sandeep Baruah, a Ham radio operator.

Mr Baruah posted the message on an internal e-mailing system used by Ham radio operators. This was picked up and relayed further by Mr Rammohan, Director of Hyderabad's National Institute of Amateur Radio. Since Mr Rammohan was using the amateur radio when the earthquake occurred, he could get across to fellow Ham-radio operator, Ms Kiyoko Miyoshi, in Japan, who called the University officials and relayed to Surabhi, her father's message.

Anybody have any other news about ham radio contact to Japan?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:32:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Japan is NOT a Third world Country.

Impeach Obama for the Good of those that DON'T want to Glow in the Dark.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Japan is NOT a Third world Country.

That was kinda the point, I'm wondering why no thread on Japan yet when people were all about trying to contact the three guys in Haiti with radios.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:46:45 AM EDT
[#3]
A friend of a friend is missing over there.  All they can do is wait for word.  People aren't allowed into a lot of the areas, and with so many people being evacuated and wide spread power outages, there's really not a lot of communication going on.  And, honestly, it would be pretty low priority for survivors right now, they're trying to dig people out and find shelter, etc.

I sure hope that communication and power get back up soon for them all though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#4]
following information received from Ken Yamamoto JA1CJP of JARL
these frequencies are known to be in use for the response to the
Japanese earthquake.

7043 kHz SSB controled by JR3QHQ the Osaka branch manager of JARL He is
gathering incident information on radio and forwarding this information
onto the internet.

7075 kHz SSB is operated by JL3YSP in Wakayama occasionally.

7030 kHz which is the JARL emergency communication frequency in their
bandplan is in use by JA7RL (JARL regional HQ station).

The last frequency is particularly QRP relevant. There are obviously
propagation factors which would limit their range but would all amateurs
please make every effort to avoid interfering with emergency
communications on these frequencies.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#5]
from what I've been seeing - the communication infrastructure has stayed intact enough that people have been using that.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#6]
14.200-210

usb
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:22:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I checked and tried, but did not make any contacts. best friend's mom was in Sendai. Luckily, she has been heard from.

EDIT: Per man law, I am required to say "Tune in Tokyo" while making two handed squeeze gesture.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top