Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2015 9:09:19 PM EDT
How water tank repurposing

Got two more hot water tanks for re-purposing and these two don't have the thick HDPE [I think] lining like the one in the thread above.

We cut the cover off and broke the insulation off the actual tank [a lot harder than the one on the topic above because it was sprayed directly to it, but there are some tricks that make it fast and easy, a 15 minute job].

These tanks had a lot of solids in the bottom, the cathode rods were pretty much gone, and there was not ANY of the calcium sludge I expected to find. Just sort of granules of some kind of silicon/rocky looking stuff that when dry could be poured out.

One of the tanks was short, maybe 30 gallons and the other was tall, abt 50 gallons. The inside when cleaned was PERFECT for storage of fuel or maybe even water, but because of freezing issues, I prefer plastic tanks for water.

For fuel, however, it doesn't get better and cheaper than this. Also, these tanks have a base and can stand upright vs. the first one that didn't.

It would be useful to get the proper tap from ebay to chase the threads on the approx SEVEN strategically placed holes that make these tanks useful in a vertical or horizontal [using a wood cradle maybe] position.

The surface of the tanks' inside was surprisingly, essentially perfect, inspecting with a Fenix flashlight all around, no signs of rust or any corrosion.

The folks replacing them probably wasted a total of $1000+ when they could have replaced the cal rod and maybe the heating elements and had many years more useful life.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll have plenty more to pick up before April 16th's government mandate takes affect. We are in full water heater panic mode around here.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:51:24 PM EDT
[#2]
hold on to those preban heaters, all the rules change in April.  Not a joke they will be worth money when they are banned.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#3]
"Pre ban high capacity" water heaters.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:02:24 PM EDT
[#4]
they make for a decent biodigester, feed tube down the center is perfect, just stick'm in a 55 gallon drum all the piping hookups are in place. I need to find some of these - guess I need to check the scrap companies.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:32:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
hold on to those preban heaters, all the rules change in April.  Not a joke they will be worth money when they are banned.
View Quote

Damn.  I must be living under a rock because I didn't realize that was happening.  My heater is about 6 years old.  Better get some parts on order to keep it going. The feds can not resist dicking with virtually every aspect of their citizens lives.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:24:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Damn.  I must be living under a rock because I didn't realize that was happening.  My heater is about 6 years old.  Better get some parts on order to keep it going. The feds can not resist dicking with virtually every aspect of their citizens lives.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We ain't seen nuthin -yet...

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:10:33 AM EDT
[#7]
the govt is looking out for us.  Somehow making all the $400 water heaters illegal and making us buy a $2000 water heater is better for us just like the new $24 LED light bulbs are better for us than the old 89 cent bulbs we used to buy.  Perhaps we are just to stupid to see this.

any way just more of the JBT telling us what to do or they will come in the middle of the night and kick your door down for a light bulb or water heater violation.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:48:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm sorry but what is happening in April? What have I missed?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
the govt is looking out for us.  Somehow making all the $400 water heaters illegal and making us buy a $2000 water heater is better for us just like the new $24 LED light bulbs are better for us than the old 89 cent bulbs we used to buy.  Perhaps we are just to stupid to see this.

any way just more of the JBT telling us what to do or they will come in the middle of the night and kick your door down for a light bulb or water heater violation.
View Quote

Exactly. Energy Star is a giant lie and everything they touch leaves us with an appliance that is 1/10th the power and just barely works.  When we built our new home I had the pleasure of hearing my appliance rep tell me that because it was an Energy Star home, the heating element was all but removed from the dishwasher and that my dishes would be clean but come out soaking wet, and that I would have to hand dry them.  Replaced every single Energy Star POS in that house.  The bigger problem with these new water heaters is that they are much wider than your standard 2-6 and 2-8 doors and will require walls to be busted out and homes remodeled just to get your water heater swapped. Best just start putting them on a platform in the garage again.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Interesting use for them.

I mainly use old water heaters to hold scrap metal (I saw the tops off) which makes unloading at the scrap yard easier (roll them off my trailer and drive back to the scale).

As for hording old ones under the idea they will become more valuable, I doesn't see anyone local wanting to pay anything for a used heater.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
Fed gov't banned water heaters over 50 gallons capacity. No more marathon heaters, or large heaters that heat your water with cheap electricity at night that you use during the day.

I guess the guys that make the Marathon heaters should have obliged Obama with that reach around...
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:45:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

From a google search:

Looks like up to 55 gallon size will be 2" wider/2" taller and cost more.

Over 55 gallon will be big changes and require stuff like exhaust fans, etc.  And possibly different installation spaces because of exposure to outside temperatures.  Some may be heat pumps and actually pump heat out of the house to heat the water...

I would guess that the sales of smaller water heaters will increase as folks replace one large with two small heaters.  Perhaps that increase in sales will help drop the cost back to where it was before the regulations changed...But I doubt it.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

From a google search:

http://www.nahb.org/generic.aspx?genericContentID=236255

From the link:

Larger electric water heaters will need to be of a heat-pump design to meet the efficiency requirements, which increases the EF from 0.88 to 1.98 for a 65-gallon model. Where a 3 feet x 3 feet closet was often the go-to location for installation for an electric water heater, these new appliances likely won't fit into the same space.

According to the Air Conditioning, Heating, & Refrigeration Institute, heat pump water heaters require installation in locations that remain in the 40-90 degree Farenheit range year-round and provide at least 1,000 cubic feet of surrounding air space. Because heat pump water heaters remove heat from the house to heat the water, it's better to install them in warmer areas of the country where the cooling effect of the heat pump will reduce the air conditioning load on the house.

This is just retarded. So now your water heater takes heat from your home to heat the water. Now your furnace has to work harder. You net NO GAINS IN EFFICIENCY.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Interesting.  Around here the tanks tend to rot out before anything else goes wrong.

What about natural gas heaters?  Any changes coming in that aspect from big brother?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Interesting.  Around here the tanks tend to rot out before anything else goes wrong.

What about natural gas heaters?  Any changes coming in that aspect from big brother?
View Quote

Probably the worst, in that IIRC, they will now require 120 vac to operate a combustion blower, control, etc, for a higher efficiency burner.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Ost
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:20:02 AM EDT
[#17]
So are you allowed to  repair pre-ban heaters or will they block the parts from being sold..... aka do I need to stock parts now?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:41:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

So are you allowed to  repair pre-ban heaters or will they block the parts from being sold..... aka do I need to stock parts now?
View Quote
Our electric coop said they were unsure of parts supply, but plan on current inventory only.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:31:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Just got a 60 gallon tank to repurpose

I have no idea why folks are getting rid of these, there's nothing wrong with them AFAICS.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:35:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Part's IMHO are likely to be avail for a long time.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top