Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/23/2012 7:12:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 7:20:00 PM EST by TheOx05]
Will have pics tomorrow, I didn't take any gotta get 'em, from my buds.

Anyway, been squirrel hunting forever, just got into deer/hog hunting a few years ago (I'm in my early 30s). Had a rather poor lease for two years, only saw one deer that I hit and lost the trail. I was bummed. Anyway, fast forward a year to today......

I was already pissed. I got a speeding ticket on the way to my new lease for my first attempt on this property. Sure, I was exceeding the speed limit, I deserved it, but it didn't bode well on my day. I was already late getting out due to my Bison Armory 6.8 upper arriving and me finally putting the new AR together. Time flies when you're having fun, eh? Got ready very quickly, threw my Remington 700 BDL in 7mm Rem Mag in the truck, got my go bag and headed out for a speeding ticket.

I finally made it to my box around 3 PM. Too late, I thought, sunset is at 4:45, I'm only going to get a few hours in. At least I'll get to see what the view is like from the box, it being my first time on this new lease.

Around 4:45 PM I happened to look out the side of the box and saw a doe start heading toward me about 75 yds distant. INSTANT ADRENALINE DUMP. I did not blade at 45. However, she was out the wrong window!! I had to try and quietly shift my position in the box. I would move, make a little noise and she would perk up. I froze each time. She went back to eating. I finalyy got myself rearranged in the side window. She was in the trees, didn't have a great shot and was having trouble getting her in the scope. Could see her fine when I raised up, but tracking her through the brush with the scope was proving difficult. After about 15 minutes I finally got a good sight picture on her head. I said to myself, "If she takes more one step forward and exposes her chest broadside to me I'm taking the sho......BANG!" The gun pretty much went off on instinct, I don't remember pulling the trigger. She instantly disappeared. A quick look through the scope showed some flailing and I prayed I hit her well. I waited another 15 minutes and went forth to see what I had done. I came upon her and she was DRT. Roped her up and drug her to the road. Damn was she heavy! Finally got her in the truck, took her to the house where me and my buddies got her cleaned and butchered. Mission accomplished!!

ETA:

Ammo: Remington Core-Lokt 175 gr PSP
Hit Location: Chest, through the lungs.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:24:21 PM EST
Congrats!
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 2:02:14 AM EST
Nice job. Congrats!
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 3:15:37 AM EST
Congrats on the harvest.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 3:17:35 AM EST
Top Top