Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2012 8:43:30 AM EDT
my brother in law and his dad finally closed on their land in the pottsboro area bordering corps land around lake texoma.  he says its crawling with hogs and we're going out saturday night to hunt.  he hasnt been baiting them or had a camera up or anything because they just closed on it about a week ago.  basically we're kind of going on a blind hunt and hoping for the best...but since we're night hunting i'm hoping we'll have some luck.  he has a big spot light but its not colored, i thought i read somewhere that you could just take red or green saran wrap and put it over your lens and that will keep them from getting spooked by the light so bad?  i was going to mix together sweet feed or corn with peanut butter for the bait, any objections to that?  i was hoping the strong odor of peanut butter would draw them in to us.  there will be 4 guys, one to work the light and 3 to shoot (assuming there are at least 3 hogs).

if we get anything i'll be sure to post pics/story
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 10:16:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't tried Saran Wrap but we bought some of those colored translucent folder dividers from WalMart and cut them into a circle to cover up the lens. They usually come in a package of 5 or 6 all different colors. They're a thicker plastic so they won't melt.

Get in touch with me, I'm in Sherman and can come out there for a bit and spot for yall with the night vision.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#2]
red is the correct color and they used to make a snap on plastic red cover for QBeams.  Rotten fruit for bait.

Trijicon Accupoint scopes and ND3 Green Lasers like a long range flashlight.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#3]
aha now thats an idea!  i'll have to go see if the walmart here has those.

IM incoming
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#4]
If at all possible, you should take Ponyboy up on his offer to "spot" for you guys.

He has a lot of practical experience and can get you guys "up to speed" quickly.

Good luck on your hunt, have fun, be safe.

Flint.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#5]
during deer season the hog's were hitting the corn feeders at night, had Wildlife cam set out, but not set for night, plenty of deer pic's.. with this warmer weather hog's may be moving more at night again... thermocell might be a good idea...   have a good one, & congrates on the land perchase..  some one else had mentioned area around lake Texoma  had alot of hog's...
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If at all possible, you should take Ponyboy up on his offer to "spot" for you guys.

He has a lot of practical experience and can get you guys "up to speed" quickly.

Good luck on your hunt, have fun, be safe.

Flint.

This
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 6:08:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys. I really like helping out new hog hunters. It's fun and more people need to be out doing it because there's plenty to go around. Plus it's fun

This is me earlier this week helping a hog over a fence.

Link Posted: 3/16/2012 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#8]
trust me guys i'm trying to work it out to where he can come show us whats up, but when it's not your land its not your call.  i've got a a request in, just waiting to hear back from the old timer.  hopefully he'll give us the go ahead.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 12:24:27 PM EDT
[#9]
HaHa......!

I used the same technique when I worked as a bouncer while in college. We would sometimes take certain drunks and "show them the door" in just such a fashion.

Great pic, Ponyboy.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought he was just throwing the small ones back.
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 6:36:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
my brother in law and his dad finally closed on their land in the pottsboro area bordering corps land around lake texoma.  he says its crawling with hogs and we're going out saturday night to hunt.  he hasnt been baiting them or had a camera up or anything because they just closed on it about a week ago.  basically we're kind of going on a blind hunt and hoping for the best...but since we're night hunting i'm hoping we'll have some luck.  he has a big spot light but its not colored, i thought i read somewhere that you could just take red or green saran wrap and put it over your lens and that will keep them from getting spooked by the light so bad?  i was going to mix together sweet feed or corn with peanut butter for the bait, any objections to that?  i was hoping the strong odor of peanut butter would draw them in to us.  there will be 4 guys, one to work the light and 3 to shoot (assuming there are at least 3 hogs).

if we get anything i'll be sure to post pics/story

tis monday, how did the week-end?  went & sat few night's out past me stand...  full moon tis best night's for it, do the poor-mans teckneek...  twas pretty quiet, heard few yot's, owls, set off few stick bomb's, lol,  skunk's-in -the-trunks, home brewed...  0 hog's seen...  even wore me lucky shades  
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 6:57:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks guys. I really like helping out new hog hunters. It's fun and more people need to be out doing it because there's plenty to go around. Plus it's fun

Stump breaking with a T-post is rough on the hog.

TRG

Link Posted: 3/19/2012 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.wildhoghunters.com/vbtube/photos/original/59dX4YgL.jpg

Stump breaking with a T-post is rough on the hog.

TRG

hahahahaahaha
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top