Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 8:04:26 PM EDT
I have made the first jump from CB to "two way" on my way to HAM.  While I navigate my way to getting my first HAM license I am curious about the GMRS capability of my new Uniden radios (1 "basecamp" and 2 handhelds).  As I read the manual it talks about getting a license to transmit on the GMRS channels, could anyone explain this to me?  I have gone to the FCC's website and even looked up the 605 form.  But what I am not finding is what/why and how much.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#1]
All from memory, but IIRC it's $80 and covers your family/household.  If you get some quality radios there may well be local repeaters as well, you can also go up to 50w with mobile/base radios.  GMRS is the highest performance "personal" communications service without an amateur license IMO.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:22:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Some of the bubble pack GMRS\FRS radios work quite well.  However they work nowhere near the claimed distances on the package. Not in real world use. We get around 3-4 1/2 miles. However the terrian is flat and building density is spread out, I would say we have a 50-75 foot average betwween houses in town. This is using the 2 watt setting.

We where experimenting with a pair of 2 watt radios with vox. Using a patch cable we set  on one channel and the other to diffrent channel. Set them on my roof about 6 feet apart. This more than doubled the distance with a little effort of wacthing where you stood and holding the radio proper. We stopped using it as its not on the proper repeater frequencies. Nce to know it works in an emergency.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top