Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2010 5:36:16 PM EDT
Hey Guys,

I need to replenish my stock of Fusees. Is there a retailer that you recommend?

I used my stash closing off a bridge in the ice storm tonight. It was a bad pile up; but everyone walked away.

Accountant

Side note: It was amazing how many people would drive over a flare. I thought everyone knew it meant the road was closed. People can be so stupid!
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Truck stop?
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#2]
The're HAZMAT, so it's probably easier to buy local.  I've bought them from Ace Hardware before.  if you local hardware franchise can order them, you won't have to pay a Hazmat fee (they are allready getting paint. solvent. etc)

BTW, I don't use them for anything but an emergency firestarter.  Both of my trucks have the warning triangles due to DOT rules (I have  a Hazmat endorsement, and ocsionaly carry placard amounts of diesel after disasters.  Triangles are slightly less visible at night, more visible during the day, and probally do a better job of blocking a road.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey Guys,

I need to replenish my stock of Fusees. Is there a retailer that you recommend?

I used my stash closing off a bridge in the ice storm tonight. It was a bad pile up; but everyone walked away.

Accountant

Side note: It was amazing how many people would drive over a flare. I thought everyone knew it meant the road was closed. People can be so stupid!

Petro has the longer 30minute flares.   I've seen the smaller ones at Pilot.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I  bought one at Tractor supply a while back. Those things scare me.  Just the thought of getting that lava on my skin makes me cringe.  

How bout the electronic flares?
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 5:44:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I got my 15 minute flares at Walmart.  Google it, they are all over the net.

Ops
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I  bought one at Tractor supply a while back. Those things scare me.  Just the thought of getting that lava on my skin makes me cringe.  

Are you serious???

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Triangles are slightly less visible at night, more visible during the day, and probally do a better job of blocking a road.

After thinking about everything again today, I believe you are correct. If people are going to drive around / over flares then there is no use carrying them. It would be more effective to use triangles and yellow tape. I think I will add some to my emergency kit.

Accountant
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#8]
true, but flares are more compact, you can carry more of they, you can leave them with stranded folks and not care, and you can set things on fire with them
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#9]
No argument.  I have to have warning triangles by law if carrying Hazmat, and there isn't a good reason ALSO to carry flares except for fire starting, unless you are  a first responder where you might want to abandon them.  Though truckers are pretty good at abandoning warning triangles, and I even let a set go once.

I was in Alaska a few weeks ago and the AST set 4 flares in 3 lanes and about half the traffic drove past them, and half detoured.  All I can figure is is was just a warning as they were clearing the road with a motorgrader.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Is there a particular brand of triangles that you would recommend?

I found these at Northern Tool: Emergency Triangles They are day & night rated w/ a weighted base.

Accountant
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#11]
The good triangles will have 3M brand tape on them but I haven't seen any saying that on the label in a while.  Wal-Mart and most autoparts and truck stops have them.  Make sure you keep it in the case or somehow protected of the reflective tape can get damaged.  Most autoparts stores and walmart should also have the flares too- I know the local Pepboys carries them but they've gotten more expensive due to the hazmat fees.  Napa carries them too.  Be careful of starting a fire accidentally; this means knowing what the wrecked trucks are carrying.  More than one accidental fire has been started with them and that's why most emergency services are getting away from them.  We carry light sticks/glow sticks/whatever you want to call them on most of the ambulances now and they suck; they aren't nearly bright enough and folks just drive over them.  

You can also get LED flares and the good ones work pretty well at night but still not worth a damn during the day.  The LED strobes work the best but are more expensive.  Galls and others sell them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#12]
This is what I use. Granted they are kinda large, but extremely light and easy to deploy. Used them a few months back when changing a flat, road had NO shoulder whatsoever, so I put up 2 cones 50 and 100 ft behind the truck. People slowed down for sure. None stopped to help, but at least they slowed down.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is there a particular brand of triangles that you would recommend?

I found these at Northern Tool: Emergency Triangles They are day & night rated w/ a weighted base.

Accountant

I 've never noticed a significant difference between models.  The reflector has some depth to it like a bycycle reflector, and that seams to be a fool proof method vs making a retroreflective tape, where you want to look for 3M or another quality product.  IIRC the area inside the reflector is just bright orange like a SMV symbol, not retrorteflective (probably so it shows up better in the day.)

The reflectors are labeled as meeting DOT and FMVSS rules, but I bet the Chinese counterfeit that too.

AW direct or Galls carry stuff like this in decent quality, but you might want to just purchase at a truck stop because they are heavier then you think- the base is weighed with sand.

Link Posted: 12/18/2010 2:20:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How bout the electronic flares?

This reminds me of my young and stupid days. I skidded off the road in a bad snowstorm (to be sure the combination of a Datsun 280Z with worn out tires contributed alot). I was using some flares, and made the stupid decision to use hold one and wave it back and forth over my head. Um, real dumb. Had some of that melted flare go right down my forearm. Instant 2nd degree burn, which necessitated my sticking my arm into a snowbank to quench it.

Extra stupid idea in retrospect, all in all. And to make things worse, no one stopped to help me out.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 5:46:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I've seen the turboflare brand of electronic flares and wondered how well they work in the daytime. . Does anyone have any experience with them?
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've seen the turboflare brand of electronic flares and wondered how well they work in the daytime. . Does anyone have any experience with them?

I've got a couple of them. Good for daytime and overcast like rainy or snowy days but bright sun and their not so great. Night time they are great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top