Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2010 7:00:46 AM EDT
I was talking with my in laws,and was surprised to discover that NY doesn't appear to allow resident landowners to hunt for free on their own land.

This made me curious,as I grew up in MD and VA,where the law allows resident landowners to hunt regular small and big game on their land with no licenses or permits.

How many states don't require resident landowners to get licenses/permits to hunt on their own land?

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 11:28:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Well they're partially correct.  If you're a farmer and make the majority of your living from farming you can hunt your lands without a license if you've taken a hunter education course.  BUT you need to buy a license for big game and turkery (turkeys need tags)

ETA- I'm talking specifically about NY.  Most of the farmers I know are too damn busy to hunt.

A landowner with at least 50 acres also gets a preference on deer management permits to take does.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Texas requires land owners to have a hunting license to hunt most game animals and birds. Very few exceptions. A land owner can shoot hogs without a license but not deer.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#3]
OH has a landowner exemption for state hunting licenses

http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/exemptions.aspx

• Landowners, spouses and their children  - Are not required to have a hunting license, fur taker permit, deer permit, antlerless deer permit, spring or fall turkey permit or Ohio Wetland Habitat Stamp when they are hunting or trapping on land they own.

• Tenants and their children on land on which they reside and from which they derive the majority (more than 50%) of their income from agricultural production on that land - Are not required to have a hunting license, fur taker permit, deer permit, antlerless deer permit, spring or fall turkey permit or Ohio Wetland Habitat Stamp when they are Hunting or trapping on land where they reside.

• Landowners’ grandchildren who are under 18 years of age - Are not required to have a hunting license or an Ohio Wetland Habitat Stamp while hunting on their grandparent’s land. All other licenses and permits are required.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#4]
NC and SC require licenses from non-landowners.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

• Landowners, spouses and their children  - Are not required to have a hunting license, fur taker permit, deer permit, antlerless deer permit, spring or fall turkey permit or Ohio Wetland Habitat Stamp when they are hunting or trapping on land they own.

• Tenants and their children on land on which they reside and from which they derive the majority (more than 50%) of their income from agricultural production on that land - Are not required to have a hunting license, fur taker permit, deer permit, antlerless deer permit, spring or fall turkey permit or Ohio Wetland Habitat Stamp when they are Hunting or trapping on land where they reside.

• Landowners’ grandchildren who are under 18 years of age - Are not required to have a hunting license or an Ohio Wetland Habitat Stamp while hunting on their grandparent’s land. All other licenses and permits are required.

Hmmm,  what about non-resident grandchildren?????

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm,  what about non-resident grandchildren?????

The way I read the regulations, it doesn't matter the children or grandchildren or OH residents or not as long as they're hunting on your land.  The regulations read 'children' not 'children who are OH residents', etc.   Probably worth a call to the DNR if you want some peace of mind though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#7]
PA requires you to get a license.

I believe there are some special allowances for farmers experiencing significant crop loss, but I don't know how that works. They may still need a license.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Not positively sure about WV, but if you own the land you don't need a license to hunt on it.  You kill a deer, field tag it, and check it in under landowner.  I have known friends to use the land owner thing on a another friends land.  Again, not absolutely sure of legalities, in WV most just roll with it  Me, hell I never have time to hunt
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#9]
MO requires that you have had your hunter safety course (unless you are old and exempt) and that you go to them to get the tags even though they are free.  I think 5-50 acres gets you an any deer tag and then 50+ gets you a second one but I'm not for sure.

Grove
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top