Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 5:06:30 AM EDT
Burglar bars can be defeated by car jacks and other simple tools with enough time, I'm thinking that electrifying them might buy some more time. Assuming non-painted (zinc coated) burglar bars insulated from the wall/window with rubber pads, would a simple cattle system be enough? Should be simple matter of switching the system on when leaving the house.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:16:08 AM EDT
Yeah, thats one idea.

Another would be to get a security system with motion detection or glass break sensors. Simpler solution which would put you into less letigious risk down the road.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:18:39 AM EDT
It could work, HOWEVER

I do not know what state you live in, but you might get yourself in a lot of trouble.
As crazy as it sounds, if someone got injured (even breaking in), the law might consider your setup as a 'trap' in which you might be liable for damages.

I am NOT a lawyer, though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:42:17 AM EDT
Thanks for the responses.

I appreciate the legal ramifications. Years ago there was a case in Miami where a shopkeeper set a 'trap' for a burglar who was breaking in through the roof because the police had been incapable of catching him after five break-ins. The electrified weld-mesh trap fried the burglar as he dropped through the ceiling and there was trouble.

Cattle fence transformers/capacitors are specifically designed not to do this. They run DC current in pulses rather than full-time a/c current. They are specifically designed to throw the animals off the fence without permanent damage, that's why I suggested it. Depending on the fence, all humans experience by grabbing the wire is an arm numb up to the elbow (ask me how I know).
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:14:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Monkey-man:
Burglar bars can be defeated by car jacks and other simple tools with enough time, I'm thinking that electrifying them might buy some more time. Assuming non-painted (zinc coated) burglar bars insulated from the wall/window with rubber pads, would a simple cattle system be enough? Should be simple matter of switching the system on when leaving the house.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:43:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2009 6:43:50 AM EDT by wshbrngr]
Thanks for the responses.

I appreciate the legal ramifications. Years ago there was a case in Miami where a shopkeeper set a 'trap' for a burglar who was breaking in through the roof because the police had been incapable of catching him after five break-ins. The electrified weld-mesh trap fried the burglar as he dropped through the ceiling and there was trouble.

Cattle fence transformers/capacitors are specifically designed not to do this. They run DC current in pulses rather than full-time a/c current. They are specifically designed to throw the animals off the fence without permanent damage, that's why I suggested it. Depending on the fence, all humans experience by grabbing the wire is an arm numb up to the elbow (ask me how I know).

this is true.... however, all you need is a person with some kind of heart condition (it screws up his pacemaker,etc.) or a lawyer/doctor to say the numbness is somehow permanent..... (prove it ain't)
YMMV

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:45:58 AM EDT
IMHO IF YOUR GOING TO BAR YOUR WINDOWS YOU MIGHT AS WELL NOT EVEN HAVE THEM sorry for the caps but i dont feel like retyping
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:05:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2009 7:07:11 AM EDT by Daisycutter123]
Originally Posted By Shadowbody:
Yeah, thats one idea.

Another would be to get a security system with motion detection or glass break sensors. Simpler solution which would put you into less letigious risk down the road.

This is normally suficient and I believe in usually going atleast one step further just in case but is your neighborhood that bad that electrified buglar bars needed. I know that the housing market is in the shitter right now so moving might not be a option but would consider it. You should be alright using the DC electric fence set-up if you must but realize it can be defeated easier than the bars unless you supply the power internally.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:12:27 AM EDT
When setting up booby-trap type things, you need to consider that in case of fire, fire fighters will be responding. Stuff like this is a bad idea, period.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:16:32 AM EDT
If you live in an area where you think you need electrified burglar bars - you need to move. I don't care how much of a loss I would take - I care about my family far too much.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:27:25 AM EDT
Burglar bars do briefly prevent thieves from getting in your house.

However they will prevent you from getting out of the same house if you have an emergency inside. ie fire
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:58:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By HubMcCaan:
If you live in an area where you think you need electrified burglar bars - you need to move. I don't care how much of a loss I would take - I care about my family far too much.

I hear what you're saying but the reverse is the case. I live in a big farm house on a couple hundred acres miles from any kind of outside assistance. Any problems I might have I will have to deal with myself, cops might be there just in time to take a statement. I have emergency water, power and dogs but travel allot.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:07:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By HubMcCaan:

I hear what you're saying but the reverse is the case. I live in a big farm house on a couple hundred acres miles from any kind of outside assistance. Any problems I might have I will have to deal with myself, cops might be there just in time to take a statement. I have emergency water, power and dogs but travel allot.

Trying to protect your stuff while gone or is wife home alone. In your situation, if nobody's home w/o any neighbors to see anything, hook a chain to bars and snatch off. I'm kind of in the same situation, while I wish I had a couple of hundred acres I have six and am 20-30 minutes from outside help. I tell my wife that while crime is very low where we are, if anything happens we are on our own and 911 is for cleaning up the mess.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:11:05 AM EDT
Electrified burglar bars?

How easy is it to kick a door, or go through an exterior wall with a sawzall?

If someone is determined enough to go through burglar bars, I doubt a little electric current is going to dissuade them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:39:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2009 9:42:01 AM EDT by wshbrngr]
I live out in the country as well.
I think my biggest deterrent is that no one knows if anyone is home or not.

No one is going to show up on my doorstep by accident. They will have to break open the gate or hop the fence and walk (quite a walk, too).
Out where I live, this is a dangerous proposition as people tend to shoot first, ask questions later.
I would not even walk over to my neighbors house without calling first.

We have a really low crime rate.

Businesses in the area make better targets than homes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:48:56 AM EDT
You might consider Rolladen shutters; they have a manual handcrank for loss of power situations. Very popular here.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:05:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2009 10:06:47 AM EDT by Monkey-man]
Originally Posted By jeremy223:
Electrified burglar bars?

How easy is it to kick a door, or go through an exterior wall with a sawzall?

If someone is determined enough to go through burglar bars, I doubt a little electric current is going to dissuade them.

My doors are solid 2" wood deadbolted with antique iron hinges and 4" frames, my walls are 20" thick stone. I was planning to heavily secure the top floor only (the door at the top of the stairs is steel) so someone would have to climb up to get in and maybe the height would limit tool/chain use.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:46:15 AM EDT
polycarbonate storm windows look normal but are damned tough.

you can install pir sprinklers too,{ not many people want to mess around with water spaying in their face or arm pits etc..}
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:03:46 AM EDT
you still have to consider fire escape and your house looking like shit
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:08:00 AM EDT

unless you live a cesspool, a fire in your home in far more likely. Burglar bars prohibit required egress from sleeping rooms required by most building codes, even if they have a way for occupants to remove the bars from the inside.

A better solution is the protective plastic films that make a window a lot more resistant to impacts. you can still open the window to escape in the event of a fire.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:09:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Nozzelnut:
Burglar bars do briefly prevent thieves from getting in your house.

However they will prevent you from getting out of the same house if you have an emergency inside. ie fire

+1

Also might make criminals think you have somthing REALLY good inside and just kick your door in lol

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:17:00 PM EDT
Speaking of the polycarbonite windows. I work for a fire dept and one of the local department close to ours had some guys suffer serious injuries and the officer was almost killed when he became trapped in the bathroom. Zero visibility but he found the big windows over the garden tub. He took his tool and tried to break out the window. He was unable to break out so he had to had to crawl through the fire and dive out a 2nd floor window he caught a glimpse of. During the investigation it was found that he pushed the window out of the sill 4" but didn't break the window. It was found that the window was made of a material called Herculite K. The same material used to make airplane canopies. Just thought I'd share this info. Especially if you're a fireman like me.
Top Top