Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2015 9:29:39 PM EDT

Proper money shot at ~5:45-5:55, lets see your KX3 do that...
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#1]
/Stevie Wonder/...
Annnnd that was post 8787...
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:52:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCXb2M66fro

View Quote

embed fixed.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:57:25 PM EDT
[#3]
you all suck

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, just wait until you need to call in for an immediate first-person description of hip replacement surgery.
Your PRC319 is going to be SOL and it'll be Baofeng's time to shine.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, just wait until you need to call in for an immediate first-person description of hip replacement surgery.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure what you mean?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
you all suck

http://youtu.be/WCXb2M66fro
View Quote

thanks... Whoops.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was making a lame joke about calling for air support as seen in the money shot.
I can call for immediate hip surgery discussion on 2M 24/7, but an air lift, not so much.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was making a lame joke about calling for air support as seen in the money shot.
I can call for immediate hip surgery discussion on 2M 24/7, but an air lift, not so much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, got it... The money shot was supposed to be the dude dunking it in the water... I don't know of any ham rig that will survive that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got it.... my bunion-support call is easy to make.... woe be to me if I had to get lifesaving help though
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:46:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I got it.... my bunion-support call is easy to make.... woe be to me if I had to get lifesaving help though
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah I've packed radios before for a few days, mainly for fun, but I have wondered about their "emergency utility".
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, I think the most useful thing if ever stranded (civilian wise) would be a KX99 tuned to 121.5. There's usually someone up above wherever you are.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:55:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
yeah I've packed radios before for a few days, mainly for fun, but I have wondered about their "emergency utility".
View Quote

You're cold, lost and about to die? well let me tell YOU there mister... I have the worst hemmrohid right now, it's been itching me all day but this 80m net isn't going to run itself so here I am, itching and burning to make sure when all else fails - we're here. Last year I had to have a lung removed since I usually sit at the radio and smoke 16 hours a day and boy was I laid up for a while....we're talking a whole month that I couldn't sit in this here radio seat and talk to the world - it was horri......

*repeater time out*

*repeater reset*

XXXXX this is XXXX you still there

you: frozen Popsicle
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You're cold, lost and about to die? well let me tell YOU there mister... I have the worst hemmrohid right now, it's been itching me all day but this 80m net isn't going to run itself so here I am, itching and burning to make sure when all else fails - we're here. Last year I had to have a lung removed since I usually sit at the radio and smoke 16 hours a day and boy was I laid up for a while....we're talking a whole month that I couldn't sit in this here radio seat and talk to the world - it was horri......

*repeater time out*

*repeater reset*

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*repeater time out*

*repeater reset*

Pretty much...
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:03:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Ok, so the next video that radio video linked to was this.  
It wasn't until I got to 4:27 that it actually seemed useful and has application for ham QSOs and might be worthy of a place in the go box.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:02:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm always worried that someone will double with me about their feedline problems because they can't climb a ladder to fix it anymore, while I'm stranded somewhere bleeding. Then, ignore my emergency traffic and tell everyone that I'm some joker, and I'll get ignored, bleed out, and die with a radio that could have saved my life, if someone cared to stop talking about their poor health. The last thing I'll hear is someone yelling back at me about how they hurt their back once, while I'm paralized from the waist down, loosing a pint of blood every 3 minutes, with no TQ in reach.

Sometimes we're our own worst enemy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:58:20 AM EDT
[#16]
On the emcomm note, I sometimes carry my 817 when I go backpacking. But given the number of people that flat out ignore QRP signals or randomly stomp on CW signals it really makes me wonder about the utility of it in an emergency situation. I suppose if I had an actual comm plan where a few stations would listen for me would make sense but it seems difficult to set that up with folks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
On the emcomm note, I sometimes carry my 817 when I go backpacking. But given the number of people that flat out ignore QRP signals or randomly stomp on CW signals it really makes me wonder about the utility of it in an emergency situation. I suppose if I had an actual comm plan where a few stations would listen for me would make sense but it seems difficult to set that up with folks.
View Quote

This is purely anecdotal, given the short amount of time I've been in this hobby, but I've been pleasantly surprised several times when I've sent out a short blip, never even intending to get a response.  It has happened on VHF, and on HF, where I've found an empty spot to send out a short test (typically listening for myself on a WebSDR), and someone came back with something like "I saw your signal [presumably on a panadaptor] and heard you here in XXX".

When I was spinning a dial, finding active signals felt like such a random event.  Now that I can see everything within a particular band, and all I have to do is click on one, it increased my confidence a little bit that someone will hear me if I ever need to send a distress signal.  I know I also listen to a lot of things that I never respond to - but would if they were in distress.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This is purely anecdotal, given the short amount of time I've been in this hobby, but I've been pleasantly surprised several times when I've sent out a short blip, never even intending to get a response.  It has happened on VHF, and on HF, where I've found an empty spot to send out a short test (typically listening for myself on a WebSDR), and someone came back with something like "I saw your signal [presumably on a panadaptor] and heard you here in XXX".

When I was spinning a dial, finding active signals felt like such a random event.  Now that I can see everything within a particular band, and all I have to do is click on one, it increased my confidence a little bit that someone will hear me if I ever need to send a distress signal.  I know I also listen to a lot of things that I never respond to - but would if they were in distress.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, like I said I've wondred. With CW I think it would be far easier with the 817, but ya never know. Then again deploying an effective antenna out in the wilds if one is injured etc would be the larger part of the problem IMO.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It wasn't until I got to 4:27 that it actually seemed useful and has application for ham QSOs and might be worthy of a place in the go box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzpRh-ZE9Mo&noredirect=1#t=277

View Quote

I want one, just the music made feel like first tier operator.
Don't think I'd scale a wall as in 3:08.
Also liked being used as raft paddles-I 'raft' when I watched it!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:30:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzpRh-ZE9Mo&noredirect=1#t=277

What was funny was my daughter was watching it over my should and when she saw the raft scene she yelled out, "Well duuhhh! It's shaped like a paddle!"  I want one just for the top popper.  I know a couple lady bartenders that would appreciate having one at work to keep on hand as an extra, uh, bottle opener.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:04:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I rolled my ATV last weekend out here in Az and ended up with four staples holding my scalp shut. I had my HT with me, and wondered if it would hit the local repeaters. Of course I then began wondering how much blood I was losing, and forgot about the radio all together until the ride home two hours later.

On a bright note, the radio and antenna did survive the roll over just fine!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:42:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCXb2M66fro

View Quote

Yep, have to get an IC-7200 to be able do that!

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCXb2M66fro

Shots fired!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top