Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2013 6:23:41 PM EDT
If I were you Id hold out for the new Baofeng the UV-82L. I got to play with one of these today and they are starting to flood into the country
--its larger, feels more substantial and overall seems better put together. More like a 'real' radio. From what the owner told me the programming SW

was easier to work with also. these are like $49 right now but that will come down pretty quick -- and the UV-5R's should be getting cleared out

soon at bargain prices too...                                          (Not my pic --I did not have the presence of mind to snap a photo)

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:31:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If I were you Id hold out for the new Baofeng the UV-82L. I got to play with one of these today and they are starting to flood into the country --its larger, feels more substantial and overall seems better put together. More like a 'real' radio. From what the owner told me the programming SW
was easier to work with also. these are like $49 right now but that will come down pretty quick -- and the UV-5R's should be getting cleared out
soon at bargain prices too...                                          (Not my pic --I did not have the presence of mind to snap a photo)
http://hamgear.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/uv-82-1.jpg

View Quote

Better than the UV-B5's?...in regard to reception/clarity/accessories/programming?

Here's some...

UV-82L's

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Someone on here wrote up a comparison between all the Baofeng radios.

The UV-B5 (according to them) was the best of them unless you really needed the extra 1 W of transmit power (true 5W vs 4W for the B5) from the UV-82.

Now the UV-82 does have one nice feature the other Baofengs don't.  There are 2 transmit buttons, the top one for what's in the top part of the display and the bottom one for what's on the bottom of the display.  I don't recall right off if the UV-82 actually has 2 VFOs or not (meaning you can listen to both the top and bottom freqs at the same time).  I will assume (and you know what that means) so because the secondary transmit button would be far less useful without it, but I don't recall at the moment.

I'd go with the B5 for my first radio and only get the 82 if you've having problems hitting repeaters or other distant contacts, and that only after getting a much better antenna (I'm assuming, based on your previous threads, that you'll be putting a mag mount antenna on the vehicle you're riding/listening in).
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I kind of like the tiny size of the 5r.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I was looking at that today and I think that the 3000mah rating on that battery is a little optimistic given its size. The included headset is nicer the stock antenna seems to do a better job --we had no problems hitting Johnstown from Bedford while a UV5R was only able to key the repeater from outside. The audio is better --cleaner--best way I can describe it otherwise all the other accessories work; speaker mic, programming cable

I dont think the 5r is a bad radio at all --it was one of the first ones I bought and yes its size is one of its finer attributes, I found the 82's bottons way easier to manipulate and the case is just more substantial -- maybe its thicker or a diffrent plastic. I dont think they substantially revised the internals --- maybe a couple of tweaks or a chip or two. It does seem way less "cheap" tho.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I kind of like the tiny size of the 5r.
View Quote

Me too, but that new one looks very nice, and that 2 PTT for 2 channels is really tempting me right now!! is it part 90 cert?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 3:37:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was looking at that today and I think that the 3000mah rating on that battery is a little optimistic given its size. The included headset is nicer the stock antenna seems to do a better job --we had no problems hitting Johnstown from Bedford while a UV5R was only able to key the repeater from outside. The audio is better --cleaner--best way I can describe it otherwise all the other accessories work; speaker mic, programming cable  

I dont think the 5r is a bad radio at all --it was one of the first ones I bought and yes its size is one of its finer attributes, I found the 82's bottons way easier to manipulate and the case is just more substantial -- maybe its thicker or a diffrent plastic. I dont think they substantially revised the internals --- maybe a couple of tweaks or a chip or two. It does seem way less "cheap" tho.
View Quote

Yeah, according to what I'm reading that was a misprint.

http://www.miklor.com/UV82/UV82-CompareUV5R.php

"Battery - 1800 mAH
    Note: Some early batteries were marked 2800 mAH.
    This was a confirmed misprint from Baofeng factory."

These look decent.  When the price gets down to the $35ish level (if it does) and it has larger batts available, then I'll order some of them to eventually replace my UV-5R+'s when they keel over.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top