Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 1/7/2015 8:04:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/18/2015 6:32:52 PM EST by fundummy]
Food Saver bags are expensive, extra thin, and not the best for long term storage & prepping.

I haven't tried this yet, but will soon. .....

I thought some of you may be interested in how to pull a good vacuum, and make thick bags using smooth sided plastic tubing.

youtube vid

A while back I purchased a big roll ( 725 feet ) of 9 inch - 6 mil tubing here:
Bulk rolls of food grade polyethylene tubing --> http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23457&catid=703
Link added for more tubing options and roll dispenser ( you may be able to make a dispenser ) http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.aspx?catid=703&parentcatid=451&clickid=topnavmenu

---------- Third Update 1/9/15 ----------- Test successful

Since the vacuum failed after repeated tests - I decided to:
1. Pull the vacuum with the Foodsaver strip.
2. Press ( down ) on Foodsaver lid as it begins SEAL cycle ( this helps transfer heat, and to fuse the seal ).
3. Then open Foodsaver lid - SNIP OFF THE TEXTURED STRIP ( with scissors) - ( allowing clearance for a new heat seal ).
4. Lower bag - close lid, and SEAL a second time.

Testing in progress to verify it holds vacuum.... will report back ( see more reports below photos )
Keep in mind I'm using THICK 6mil plastic - this stuff is pretty darn tough - assuming FS bags are 2mil - I'm sealing 14 mils at one point - with the FS strip.
Pics Below

Vacuum and 1st Seal - ( notice the thin contact area on sealing strip - it won't hold 6 mil plastic ).

Second seal placed after textured tab shortened.

----> 1/9/2015 8pm cst approx 8 hours later, the bag is hard, rock solid - vacuum holding nicely. I believe this technique is GTG
Mrs. Fundummy wanted the label inside...

----> 1/11/2015 Test successful using super thick 6mil plastic. Black bean vacuum holding firmly. I believe it's good to go for a very long time.

How To Summary:
1. Cut about a 1 inch strip of the textured side of a Foodsaver bag.

2. Extend this strip inside bag ( contacting food ) through bag opening and feed it into vacuum chamber with bag lips.

3. Pull vacuum - then seal as usual.

4. If using 6mil bagging, snip textured strip off with scissors, and place another seal above. Result should look like second photo.
If using 4 mil or thinner bagging, you may - or may not need to place a second seal to hold a solid vacuum. Try it and see

Notes:
1. As you rotate through foodstuffs, you may want to save used Foodsaver textured sides for tabs.
2. Newer Foodsaver models ( the vertical type ) may not be suitable for this application, as you may not have access to manually insert textured tab.

Foodsaver FAQ--> http://www.foodsaver.com/service-%26-support/product-support/product-faqs/bags-%26-rolls/general-questions/bags-and-rolls-general-questions-faq.html

How thick are FS bags?

All FoodSaver® brand heat-seal bags and rolls are constructed of multi-layer plastic for a durable, air-tight seal. FoodSaver® brand bags are constructed in the following thicknesses:

FoodSaver Bags – Heat-Seal (all)
Smooth side: 3mils thick
Textured side: 11.5mils thick

GameSaver Bags – Heat-Seal (all except Heavy Duty Bag; see below for specifications on thickness for this bag)
Smooth side: 3mils thick

GameSaver Heavy Duty Bag – Heat-Seal
Smooth side: 4mils thick
View Quote

( it appears Foodsaver is measuring the texture with the plastic thickness here )

Misc info:---> http://www.gtzip.com/helpfaqs.html
2 Mil. = 50.8 Microns = .0508 Millimeters = 2/1000 inch. The standard household Ziploc® Brand sandwich bag is 1.5 Mil.

2 Mil. is the standard industry thickness.----The heavier freezer bags sold in stores are about 3 Mil.

4 Mil. = 101.6 Microns = .1016 Millimeters = 4/1000 inch. 4 Mil bags are twice as thick as the 2 Mil. bags and considered heavyweight.

6 Mil. = 152.4 Microns = .1524 Millimeters = 6/1000 inch. 6 Mil bags are three times as thick as the 2 Mil. bags and considered extra-heavyweight.
View Quote

So there - we've beat the ridiculous priced Foodsaver bag racket.
We can make super duty 6mil bags at roughly 18 cents per foot. Vacuum pack anything that fits - Ammunition, batteries, sugar / salt, corn meal, etc ...

Comments, questions, and input are welcome ... thanks for your comments and time
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:13:58 PM EST
Tag for the results when you do try it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:51:51 PM EST
sweet
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:26:01 PM EST
I bet this would work with Mylar bags. I will give it a try and report back
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:17:54 PM EST
I have done it like this guy but I used freezer bags and mylar bags. It works.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:30:02 PM EST
OST for results.
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:49:06 PM EST

If anyone is unable to view youtube vids, let me know, and I'll explain.

Some folks may have bugged out already....
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:18:00 PM EST
I'll give this a try. We just had a good sale this week on ham beans so we bought a few bags. We've also been stocking up on ground beef so this may give us a little reprieve from the food saver rolls.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 7:54:52 AM EST
Thanks fundummy.

Lets go guys fundummy needs a few more views of his one minute video to get to 87
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:53:16 AM EST
Thanks, I tried this a coupe of weeks ago with a heavy duty ziplock and it's didn't seal well, i think the plastic was not heat resistant enough. I'll try the plastic tubing.

How is the seal integrity today? Did you double seal?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:01:05 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fundummy:

If anyone is unable to view youtube vids, let me know, and I'll explain.

Some folks may have bugged out already....
View Quote

Very clever. Thanks!

Please keep a few bags sealed and let us know how tight they've stayed after a year.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:07:37 AM EST
Interesting

Thanks OP
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:52:14 AM EST
Nice tip! I'll definitely have to give this a try.

As a secondary question, what's the smallest width the checkered strip can be and still pull a vacuum so as to use as little as possible? 1/2"? 1/4"?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:33:01 PM EST
Working on the new test now...
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:14:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/9/2015 1:16:36 PM EST by sgthoskins]
I haven't used these for dry foods but I have used them for a couple of years on meats for the freezer and they work great and are cheap.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:02:09 PM EST
Reloaded for updates at the top.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:42:03 AM EST
I tried it a couple of weeks ago with about a 1/4" strip. It worked, but was very slow to pull a vacuum. I will splurge and use a wider piece next time.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:04:54 AM EST
Originally Posted By eracer:

Please keep a few bags sealed and let us know how tight they've stayed after a year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eracer:

I don't think we have that long eracer....

Originally Posted By cfcw:
I tried it a couple of weeks ago with about a 1/4" strip. It worked, but was very slow to pull a vacuum. I will splurge and use a wider piece next time.

Nice to know cfcw, thanks.

4 mil bags may not need a double seal. I need to mic some freezer bags to see how thick they are.

BTW, the bag of black beans is still sucked up tight as a brick today
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 4:39:13 PM EST

Conclusion and info added to OP.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:47:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/11/2015 9:01:49 PM EST by EXPY37]
Why not use one of these for the final seal?

Plenty of them on eBay at low cost.

Bag sealer.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:15:31 AM EST
Originally Posted By EXPY37:
Why not use one of these for the final seal?

Plenty of them on eBay at low cost.

Bag sealer.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_-CzZeksjY7nEgszjBj-rYNBfM9f4fAPxlEBhaZLivvNOZ1Jd

View Quote

Might be a good idea to use it for the first and final seal, to preserve Foodsaver heat sealer - wear & tear.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:16:01 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/12/2015 11:16:28 AM EST by fundummy]
oops - double tap.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:48:36 AM EST
Interesting .... great job OP and thanks for the info.

I have a food saver machine and would buy the box of rolled foodsaver bags at Costco for around $50. I think the boxes contained 4 large rolls and 2 smaller rolls.

Not sure of the total feet of bags but they would last a couple years worth of freezing fish and a few other things.

Always looking for a way to save $$$
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:15:33 PM EST
Awesome OP! I process a lot of game meat and I've noticed the original food saver bags often loose seal with time. Based on this post I am considering ordering a roll of 4 mil bags. For my use that would be fine. I have lots of sausage to process here shortly - this could be a great thing!
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:31:47 PM EST
OST
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:41:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/18/2015 6:44:35 PM EST by fundummy]
The Black beans are still holding vacuum - good since the 9th.

I've added more Pinto beans. We make a slot in the original bag - insert O2 absorbers then vac seal.

Made some baby size bags for batteries out of freezer bags.

Occasionally the seal is not 100% - just below the thick blue line on the zipper.
The " Ziploc " branding on the bags is easily wiped off with a paper towel saturated with rubbing alcohol.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:51:46 PM EST
I have had good luck with these bags. They work out to about 19 cents each. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/14281/vacuum-packaging-machine-bags.html?filter=out-of-chamber-bag-type:full-mesh-storage-bags
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:22:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By Lord_Of_None:
I have had good luck with these bags. They work out to about 19 cents each. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/14281/vacuum-packaging-machine-bags.html?filter=out-of-chamber-bag-type:full-mesh-storage-bags
View Quote

Thanks! I'm ordering some now! I just ran out of my FS bags.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:06:06 PM EST
TAG!
Top Top