Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2010 3:09:01 PM EDT
Looking to do some 4x4ing, either in Florida or TN maybe. I missed the last get together. Way too much going on at the time.

Anyone got any ideas?? Time, place, type (4x4ing, etc)
Link Posted: 7/29/2010 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Due to the extreme lack of good off road trails in the sunshine state, I'd look else where if you can.
Seams like there are a few good off road parks popping up here and there through out the south. There are some national forest roads and trails seem
like they might be a nice mild get away too. North Ga and Nc come to mind.
Link Posted: 7/29/2010 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm ready for another
Link Posted: 7/29/2010 11:50:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell, I'd be in.
Link Posted: 7/30/2010 7:19:59 AM EDT
[#4]
If I can afford Coal Creek, I'm up for that.  You can run anything at Coal Creek, some state forest trails are either ATV or 4x4 truck/jeep only.

Ops
Link Posted: 7/30/2010 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#5]

I can show up for coal creek since it is in my backyard.

Link Posted: 7/30/2010 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone been to Brimstone Recreation area in TN? I also have mountain land within 4 wheeler riding distance to Brimstone.
Link Posted: 7/30/2010 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag for updates in TN.
Link Posted: 7/30/2010 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anyone been to Brimstone Recreation area in TN? I also have mountain land within 4 wheeler riding distance to Brimstone.

I have been to Brimstone once. It was Ok. I went there without really having time to check out the map, and we didn't run across anyone to tag along with. If you know the area you might know better trails than we could find. The trails were nothing out of the ordinary that you would find in other TN/KY areas, woods with a few hills. Personally I like Coal Creek the best. I have been to CC, Harlan Co. Ky, Hatfield McCoy WV,  and few small atv parks here in Indiana and Illinois. Coal Creek has been through alot of changes the last few years with all the coal mining and gas wells in the area, but still great riding with all types of riding from fast open trails, to rocky technical trails, trails with creek crossings, lots of mud if is raining any  a plenty of really challenging trails that will take the most of the day to ride.
Would really like to go on another trip this year. I went to Harlan Co.Ky and Lee Co. Va.  in April and had a great time. But doubt I can swing another trip again this year. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee I have been trying to make into a mild trail rig/BOV so really ain't got the extra $$$
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 4:25:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, ive never been to Coal creek and have been wanting to go. I missed the memo a couple months ago along with alot going on, but I possibly couldve made that one.

Ive done the Florida stuff, if we do that again fine, but wouldnt mind venturing away from the AO>
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Bump - Any interest in doing something over Thanksgiving week???
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I went to brimstone with some people from work, they had a big concert during the labor day weekend.

We found some awesome trails, we were all on quads and we like stuff you can ride on but sometimes get stuck on.  We are not interested in having to winch every quad through a big mud pit or up a wall.

We also wound up off the map on one of the better trails.  I have a brimstone map but it is 2 years old, they dated the bottom when they made it and have not updated a lot of the trails.

Brimstone is similar to coal creek but for the primitive camping brimstone might be more laid back.

For the big concert they had lots of employees as well as police in the area so I am not sure what it is like during a normal weekend.

Right now I am working over about 3 days a week, and most working over is another full 8 hour shift, so I might be able to show up if folks are in the area but I am not going to promise anything.

I know the coal creek surrounding towns better so if something is needed for vehicle repair or whatever I do better at coal creek than up at brimstone.

But more than a few folks I work with live in the brimstone area so we can handle major problems somewhat up there as well.

From talking to folks brimstone has plenty of folks riding around keeping an eye on things and their primitive campground is just a huge field while coal creek has gravel roads and picnic tables and stuff setup better.

I did not really look at much to see what all they have besides the primitive campground and things were so crowded my group parked at a person's house and just road quads on a few miles of pavement to get to the trails.

I think TJ is the one who said brimstone is an early version of coal creek and I think he might be right.

For those who were at coal creek for the dust filled convoy riding I just want to mention that a lot of brimstone is the same thing.

The best trail we found at brimstone was off the map, just like the coal creek ride when the quads split off from the trucks.

One thing that sucked at brimstone is we were cruising on a moderate trail named 5 and staying on the same trail we got to some stuff the quads were not going to handle very well.  In turning around we found a trail maked 5 difficult.  Just the same number in a different color.  

I think either one works well but if it is wet then coal creek is going to be easy to get out of I reckon.

The primitive camping at brimstone looked like a potential for a big mud pit and a lot of folks at brimstone were not even close to considerate of others.

But I was there during a big concert so I hope I have the wrong idea about the place.

I plan to ride both when I can but I go with folks from work generally and they usually know the area plus the folks who work at the places.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top