Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/6/2009 4:24:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/8/2009 4:18:45 PM EST by Rustygun]
Took a walk this morning and bagged a few. Missed one and couldn't find one. Saw several deer and a coon. Had a good time. I love squirrel hunting. I bought a CZ 20 gauge side by side a few years ago. Having two chokes on one gun is nice.

Link Posted: 9/6/2009 4:29:14 PM EST
I've never seen a black squirrel before. Is that a hybrid or a breed?
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 4:30:59 PM EST
Originally Posted By Hebrew_Battle_Rifle:
I've never seen a black squirrel before. Is that a hybrid or a breed?

Arkansas black squirrel. I think they are really fox squirrels and that one is just young. They are usually bigger.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 4:39:28 PM EST
What is the best way to cook them. Someone told me to boil the meat first and then BBQ or roast and it will not be chewy, but I haven't done that yet. I will in a few weeks and am looking for the best way to prepare them
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 5:00:41 PM EST
I like to salt soak them for a day, then boil the meat until tender and then fry it up.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 5:01:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By Mach:
What is the best way to cook them. Someone told me to boil the meat first and then BBQ or roast and it will not be chewy, but I haven't done that yet. I will in a few weeks and am looking for the best way to prepare them

There are lots of ways. I like this stew recipe.

Daddy's Squirrel Stew
Thanks to Rob Benson for sending in this recipe.

~ 3 squirrels, quartered
~ Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning
~ 2 strips bacon, cut up
~ 1/2 stick butter
~ 1 onion, chopped
~ 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
~ 2 bell peppers, chopped
~ 2 stalks celery, chopped
~ 3 potatoes, cubed
~ 5 cups water
~ 1/4 cup burgundy wine

Rub the creole seasoning liberally over the squirrels.

In a dutch oven, melt the butter. Add the bacon.

Add the squirrel to the dutch oven and brown evenly. Remove.

To the dutch oven, add the onion, garlic, peppers and celery. Saute until the veggies are soft.

Add the meat back to the pot along with the water and potatoes. Stir together.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally.

Remove the squirrel pieces. Cool and debone.

Return meat to the pot. Stir in the wine. Heat to boiling again then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.

Serve over biscuits or toast.

Enjoy.

There are a lot of good recipes here.

Many recipes

The main thing about squirrels is knocking the hide off them. The Squacks way is the best way. Once you get the hang of it you have it made.

Squacks
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 4:18:05 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/8/2009 5:06:15 PM EST by Rustygun]
They turned out good! Who said there is no free lunch. Free range organic squirrel baby!

I tried this recipe and it was easy and turned out really well. I put Tony's Creole seasoning on it.

Roast squirrel
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 10:04:36 AM EST
wasnt it really tough?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 11:14:24 AM EST
Wow, those are some big squirrels.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 11:56:29 AM EST
Originally Posted By emcs31089:
wasnt it really tough?

It was fine. Not as tender as using a crock pot or boiling it before you fry it but still just fine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 12:16:43 PM EST
I likes me some tree rats.

When we go on our fishing/camping/hunting trips the best dinners are where we have fried squirrels, squirrel gravy and fried potatoes. MMmmmmm..... All fixed over an open fire too.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:13:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By rizzo1318:
I like to salt soak them for a day, then boil the meat until tender and then fry it up.

I'm going to have to try that boiling step. I've only ever cooked two squirrels I think, and they were both terrible.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:29:15 AM EST
Thats cool beans!! Where in TN are you shooting fox squrriels? I have been in Tn nearly all my life and never seen a fox squrriel.All grey around here,im in East TN..NOw up in OH where im originally from,thats all there is up there just about..We go back every now and then to hunt.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:58:14 AM EST
Originally Posted By FMJ_BT:
Thats cool beans!! Where in TN are you shooting fox squrriels? I have been in Tn nearly all my life and never seen a fox squrriel.All grey around here,im in East TN..NOw up in OH where im originally from,thats all there is up there just about..We go back every now and then to hunt.

I am in Memphis right by the Mississippi River. It is very different here than where you are. I actually grew up about 30 miles east of Nashville and it was quite a shock when I moved here terrain wise. I have adapted though. There were plenty of fox squirrels in Middle TN when I was a kid but according to my family that still lives in that area they are not there like they were.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:33:50 AM EST
I know exactly what your talking about.My dad was born and raised here in East TN,during the late 50's and early 60's he told me that it wasn't uncommon at all to see a 50/50 mix of fox and grey squrriels..But now,Like i've said,i've been hunting for about 10years now,im 22 and I ain't seen the first fox squrriel in the woods here.Im in Morgan Co BTW.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:08:37 PM EST
Nice! I found 20 minutes in the pressure cooker makes them completely tender. If you are frying, try 15 minutes. Put a steaming rack in the bottom, get the water boiling with spices/salt, then put the squirrel in and full heat until the pressure builds, then set the timer.

ONE of these days I will make squirrel tamales...probably will go to 1Andy2's for the help.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:51:58 PM EST
wow I didn't know people ate those rats!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:17:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
wow I didn't know people ate those rats!

I prefer the term "small game"
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:59:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 5:01:10 AM EST by SteelonSteel]
Originally Posted By PA452:
Originally Posted By rizzo1318:

I'm going to have to try that boiling step. I've only ever cooked two squirrels I think, and they were both terrible.

If they were tough, yeah a crock pot slow cook fixes that. ETA- I generally use a cast iron dutch oven on the stove top.

if there was a gamey taste you probably missed removing the glands. Google squirrel cleaning and find a good pictoral on cleaning and gland removal.

Top Top