Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2008 7:04:14 PM EDT
Last weekend I went on a hog trip in MI with my father and cousin.  We live in northern OH, so we have no wild ones to chase around.  We "hunted" at Michigan Trophy Hunts in Bannister MI.  They have a 500 acre wooded hunting area.  With everything from pines, hardwood, logged areas, to open fields.  

This hunt was my first time being around hogs other than local farm pigs.  They had 3 types, Pure Russian, Cross, and Domestic free range.  The domestics and cross breeds were just plain dumb.  I could walk within 10yards of most.  Not my idea of sport hunting.  The Russians on the other hand, most would run at ranges from 50-75 yards in the woods and further in the fields.  

We each took one pig during the 2 days.  All three were shoot with a Remington 760 in 30-06.  The 180 gr soft points worked great.  The largest was shot from 20 yards.  Second largest at about 60 yards.  My small pig at 169 yards.  The two closer pigs were shot directly in the shoulder and when a few yards before rolling over.  My shot was just behind the shoulder while quartering away.  The pig dropped instantly, and was dead by the time I walked up to it.  

It was a fun experience, but I dont think I will do a canned hunt again.  I will be moving down south for the next few years due to the military.  I plan on doing all my future hog hunting in unrestricted settings.

Link Posted: 1/16/2008 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice looking hogs. When is the BBQ...
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#2]
We have a meat house on the other side of the block.  Hopefully they will have most done by the weekend!
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty nice!

At first I thought this was another fat chick thread but then noticed that it isn't in GD.

I am interested in this.  We have feral hogs not far from here.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Good job.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 6:01:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Hog-sicles. Yummy!  Congrats!
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#6]
You should have shot some that weren't frozen, more sportsman like!  
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Pretty nice!

At first I thought this was another fat chick thread but then noticed that it isn't in GD.

They are supposedly getting to be more and more of a problem around MI.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You should have shot some that weren't frozen, more sportsman like!  

Now that is funny....I don't care who you are
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 8:38:09 AM EDT
[#9]
You have be careful what you shoot them with.  The first 4 we shot at shattered.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 8:45:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pretty nice!

My brother tells me that the farmers in southern IN are screaming bloody murder for teh DNR to open up the season on them before they get out of hand.  Apparently the Ohio river isn't the natural barrier they hoped it would be.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pretty nice!

My brother tells me that the farmers in southern IN are screaming bloody murder for teh DNR to open up the season on them before they get out of hand.  Apparently the Ohio river isn't the natural barrier they hoped it would be.

They did in MI in certain counties.  Just need a small game license.  In those counties any pig behind a fence is considered open season.  

As you can see that is pretty much most of the lower pen.  They need to open Ottawa County!  

Link Posted: 1/18/2008 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice hogs!!  
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

When it comes to hogs, there's no such thing as a barrier unless it's made of metal and welded together. Even at that, if you give them long enough they'll still break through.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You have be careful what you shoot them with.  The first 4 we shot at shattered.

Nice comeback!
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#15]
were down south u moving?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:56:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quantico VA for 6 months.  Then my MOS school for another six months, and finally station somewhere.  Most bases are southern compared to northern Ohio.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#17]
oh okay.my family is stationed here in gulfport,ms.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#18]
the rest of my family is in victoria,va.its about 50 miles south of richmond
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:53:43 PM EDT
[#19]
How is the hog hunting down there?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:30:02 PM EDT
[#20]
in va? its awesome my uncle and i went coyoting. we ended up seeing a HUGE hog im talking scary big hog it looked really huge at 357 yards. we were shooting with a .22 hornet. couldnt get it in range. so we saw a smaller hog come in behind the other. about 30 mins later.it came in to 48 yards. got it through the ear. dropped down. came back up charging at me. shot it one more time that was the shot. 178lbs. great sausage. but that was two years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top